Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  15:55:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:
Originally posted by filthy
Aren't we supposed to get some sort of revelation or delirium tremen, or something from the good pastor today? Half of the day's gone, and not a squeak to be heard.

Well, he has 'till midnight, I suppose, but I feel my faith in him slipping away.....

Not like we expected anything different, , but the Pastor giveth a total cop-out answer. According to the site,
quote:
Back in 1982, The Lord revealed to me [i.e. Pastor Harry] who Antichrist (The Beast) [sic] is. For the next 24 years, I watched his following grow into a global cult and I realized this person truly is The Antichrist, The Son of Satan, the "awaited one" and many are being deceived.

He goes on to say that he won't be a politician, but some world religious leader. Moreover, in less than a month he's going to-- get this-- united the world's religions. In less than a month.

Who is this person? George W. Bush? Pat Robertson? Kirk Cameron? David Beckham? No! Silly Rabbit, it's Maitreya.

Who? Maitreya! Of course! The Antichrist-- a mysterious unnamed and otherwise unknown being who will make him- or herself known at some unknown point in the future, is really Maitreya-- a mysterious unnamed and otherwise unknown being who will make him- or herself known at some unknown point in the future. Great. Thanks so much for clearing that up, Pastor Harry!

No, not that Maitreya; this Maitreya!

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  16:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Creme lost credibility after 1982

Apprently not with Pastor Harry...

quote:
...the year in which Maitreya's Emergence was set to occur, but was interrupted by the Falkland Island Invasion. Since he began teaching in the mid seventies, Creme has said that Maitreya's emergence was "imminent." However, the date for Emergence has been postponed repeatedly and none of Maitreya's appearances have been reported outside of testimony from Share International members (including the 1988 Nairobi incident).

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  03:54:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Well stupid me. I never thought to see if the named antichrist actually might be a real or imagined person outside of Pastor Harry's mind anyway. I just assumed it was a made up name not attached to anything or any one.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  10:09:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
I thought the anti-Christ's name was Damien?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  11:37:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Some years back, when I was driving truck, there was a billboard in Philly, on I-95, that claimed it would soon reveal the Antichrist. It never did, at least not while I was hauling steel out of there.

How wonderful are the imaginations of the mad. Such a pity they are trapped in an endless tunnel.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  12:23:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

Some years back, when I was driving truck, there was a billboard in Philly, on I-95, that claimed it would soon reveal the Antichrist. It never did, at least not while I was hauling steel out of there.

. . .

They were waiting until you weren't passing by any longer, because they didn't want to tip you off that they were wise to you.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  13:46:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:

. . .

They were waiting until you weren't passing by any longer, because they didn't want to tip you off that they were wise to you.

Heh, I wish!

I never looked at it closely -- it was in passing and always in big traffic -- but I think it was pimping some book or other.

Lafaytte Ron had it right: if you want to make a lot of money, go with religion, the weirder the better. You'll pack 'em in the asiles.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  09:08:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
That is one cool bug, filthy. A bat-leaf?
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  09:13:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I always wanted to be Dr. Evil, but I didnt want to get labeled 'the Antichrist' so now I just do basket weaving.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  09:41:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I believe it's a turtle.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  09:41:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I got curious, too. It's a Mata Mata. See also:

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  10:04:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Dave is correct. It is a face-on shot of a matamata. And it has something of a history with me.

I first saw one very like it in the early '50s. It was in B&W, and it cracked me up. That big, evil smile so incongruous on such an animal.... I never forgot it.

Then while looking up something else, I came across this photo, and I kept it. It still, after all of these years and of all the captive matamatas I've seen and handled, gives me a chuckle.

It's a pretty amazing turtle, by the way....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.