Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2001 :  06:21:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

Just on the flip side, and as an interesting aside, if Aspirin had been subjected to the FDA approval process, it would have failed, and we would be unable to use it today. (It caused horrible birth defects in just about every species we test on...except humans.)

Drug companies...when they want something, they'll pay someone or push what they want through. When they don't want something, same thing happens.

Is it just me or does it seem that the drug companies answer to most everything is to pay someone off or push it through?

"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is usually the father." -Bailey's First Law
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2001 :  08:15:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Aspirin has been around a while tho James. The primary problem with aspirin in children is SIDS, I think. They still prefer you take tylenol when pregnant over any other medication. (I know this from personal experience. Migraines and tylenol are not enough to even begin to touch the things.) Oh well....

It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

hatten_jc

Sweden
44 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  17:56:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit hatten_jc's Homepage Send hatten_jc a Private Message
quote:

Excuse me, but this dog is not getting better. As a matter of fact, it is suffering.

That so sad..
the ide behind Holistic is not baad its simply to find out WHAT making you sick and then help you awoid that in the future and use medicin to cure you...
The Idiots that now days cal them self Holistic use herbel medication and somtime kristal and smelly things..

of cours there are SOME rell holostic out there one of my cousin went to hospital when she hade a alergy during some years and the doctor where a rell proffs and use some hollistic in his pratic by like a detective bit by bit finding out whats made her sick and helpt here awoide that. Al the time she where on medication and we find out that there where some candy she ate that made here sensitive and got here allergy active. ( the candy it self never gave here ANY problem but she always a copel days later goot pollen problem and rashe from tings )
After she stop eating that kind of candy her allergy wanish.
The other doctors she hade use where only giving here medication and drugs for here problem..

that doctor use normal medication and hollistic filosfy in finding out what the root of her problem where and stoping her from having more problem in the future.

sadly becuse how some nuts are miss using Hollistic medication its become some thing you cant trust...

Never underestemate a humans capaity for activ stupity
Sorry about my lousy English ? can we talk in Swedish :)
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2001 :  11:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
hatten_jc, I don't know about Sweden, but most allergists do like to find out what is causing allergies. A friend who suffers terribly from them went to an allergist who over the course of about a year used various patch tests to find what was causing her allergies. She avoids those things now and her allergies aren't as bad.

I don't know the original intent of hollistic medicine, however, the current use of hollistic medicine in the United States is heavily influenced by the New Ageism movement. Where the use of 'natural' products takes precedence over the use of Western medicine.

As with any other type of field, medicine is as subject to the posession of incompetant individuals. I have a friend, yes really I have one of those, who was told he may have MS, instead of getting him to people who can help diagnose this, his insurance company (probably) doesn't want to spend the money on the proper tests. I've asked him to go to the MS Society, where they can at least make the diagnosis. Instead, he's going through a myriad of tests that are basically ineffective - he needs to see a neurologist.

It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2001 :  23:29:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Asprin has been around a while tho James. The primary problem with aspirin in children is SIDS, I think.

Yes it has been around for a long time, still doesn't mean it or any drug, OTC or a well known/tested drug is completly safe. I think the reason I have an stomic ulcer is because of ALL my years of taking asprin for headacks, not thinking there would be a problem. After all, everyone takes asprin!
BTW, are you sure you mean SIDS? I've never heard asprin causes that, I think you are thinking of Rhyes(sp.)syndrome. Two quite different medical situations.

Rap Crap is to music what Paint by Numbers is to art.
Go to Top of Page

hatten_jc

Sweden
44 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  09:07:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit hatten_jc's Homepage Send hatten_jc a Private Message
quote:

hatten_jc, I don't know about Sweden, but most allergists do like to find out what is causing allergies. A friend who suffers terribly from them went to an allergist who over the course of about a year used various patch tests to find what was causing her allergies. She avoids those things now and her allergies aren't as bad.

that they do in sweden two.
the doctor i spoke about did it but also startid to investigate when her allergy brooke out becuse there could be days and weeks where no allergy reaction hapend even when she where expose to the substand she where allergick two.

They discover that the candy she like to eat hade a katalytik effect that lower here abilty to with stand those susbstans she where allergick two.
And when she stop eating food and candy with that substant in she have hade NO allergy reaction to pollen and other things in now almost 2 years.
( when her allergy where active she some time hade to go to hospital emergensy rooms )

quote:
I don't know the original intent of hollistic medicine, however, the current use of hollistic medicine in the United States is heavily influenced by the New Ageism movement. Where the use of 'natural' products takes precedence over the use of Western medicine.

That is hapening in Sweden more and more New Age claim to be Hollistic healers.
that is miss use OF the word.
IF you study the idee behind Hollistic you find that its only about finding the RESON behind your ills and then aliminat that so that you dont get sick.
But when you are sick you can use NORMAL medication in order to heal and lessen the pain.

Hollistic heling have work mirikal agienst stress relatid problem as the reson to most of them can be avoided simply by rest.

quote:
As with any other type of field, medicine is as subject to the posession of incompetant individuals. I have a friend, yes really I have one of those, who was told he may have MS, instead of getting him to people who can help diagnose this, his insurance company (probably) doesn't want to spend the money on the proper tests. I've asked him to go to the MS Society, where they can at least make the diagnosis. Instead, he's going through a myriad of tests that are basically ineffective - he needs to see a neurologist.

its said my lithle cusin hade the same she hade to try diffrent allergy medication one after another to lessen/cure here allergy then she goot the lucky and the one i told you about gave here a mild medication that workt and then did some resurce and test and found out what hapend during thos days she got a serius allergy reaction.
After the reson ( she ate a candy that hade some substans that made here allergy extra sensitiv) where found out she dont even take here medication any more.
The other doctors just let here try diffrent type of medication many that made here fell sick and did some spott test to se what kind of substans she wher allergick two.
Only one said IF you DONT eat this candy its make you allergi activ.

quote:

Never underestemate a humans capaity for activ stupity
Sorry about my lousy English ? can we talk in Swedish :)

Edited by - hatten_jc on 12/19/2001 09:09:03
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  10:21:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
MS is a degenerative nuerological disorder. Sorry for any confusion.

Snake you are correct - I was thinking of Rhyes and not SIDS. I'm really bad at confusing things sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  03:16:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Snake you are correct - I was thinking of Rhyes and not SIDS. I'm really bad at confusing things sometimes.

That's ok. Wait until you get as old as me. It only gets worse.
I often say I'm going to put the clothes in the refrigerator to wash them.
Hey! Big square metal electric appliance, all the same to me!

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  09:01:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
That's ok. Wait until you get as old as me. It only gets worse.
I often say I'm going to put the clothes in the refrigerator to wash them.
Hey! Big square metal electric appliance, all the same to me!

ROTFLMAO - Oh I love it. You know the oven dries them too.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.