New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  09:53:52  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Link In 1919 the US commissioned Spanish version of National Anthem

Link Four different versions on State Department website

The xenophobia is getting out of hand round here.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  10:01:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
And your point is ????

I think you left something out of your post.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  10:08:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Probably something about this:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/28/bush.anthem.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The national anthem should be sung in English -- not Spanish -- President Bush declared Friday, amid growing restlessness over the millions of immigrants here illegally.

"One of the things that's very important is, when we debate this issue, that we not lose our national soul," the president exclaimed. "One of the great things about America is that we've been able to take people from all walks of life bound as one nation under God. And that's the challenge ahead of us."

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  10:10:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Our national soul is White, Anglo Saxon, and Fundie-Christian. Fuck that.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  11:13:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Yeah sorry, Theres been a big stink this week over a spanish language version on the national anthem, because all the (choke) patriots think english is our official language or something. In reality all it does is spread the patriotism of the NA to those who only speak Spanish.

I guess its not hard to understand because our youths cant even find Spain on a map. Maybe we should do homework on Ipods.
From MSNBC.com,
quote:
They will have their task cut out for them, judging by the results of the survey of 510 people interviewed in December and January.

Among the findings:

One-third of respondents couldn't pinpoint Louisiana on a map and 48 percent were unable to locate Mississippi.
Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.
Two-thirds didn't know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.
Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.
While the outsourcing of jobs to India has been a major U.S. business story, 47 percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.
While Israeli-Palestinian strife has been in the news for the entire lives of the respondents, 75 percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.
Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.
Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world. Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

Edit: To bolden the sad reality of the last line.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 05/02/2006 11:15:36
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  12:17:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Link In 1919 the US commissioned Spanish version of National Anthem

Link Four different versions on State Department website

The xenophobia is getting out of hand round here.

Has this gotten out to the blogs yet? I see the State Dept. Web page is 10-05-2005. But the 1919 version of the anthem is the kicker!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  10:05:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
http://drudgereport.com/flash7.htm HA! Bush sings it himself during his campaign! What a total asshole.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  12:56:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
What really knocks me for a loop on this issue is the fact that immigrant Spanish speakers are trying so hard to show their love for this country, but even in showing that love, they are attacked. Singing the National Anthem in Spanish is not mockery, it's flattery. English is the dominant language in the USA, but there is no "official" language. There have always been significant pockets of of non-English speakers. As the USA historically grew from a strip of English colonies on the Atlantic coast, it bought, absorbed, or conquered vast Native, French, Spanish, and Mexican territories.

Another thing I've seen is rightist pundits decrying the display of Mexican and other Central American flags in the recent demonstrations. I've seen the photos and videos of many of those demonstrations, and the overwhelming dominance of US flags makes them hard to distinguish from some sort of American patriotic rallies, at least from a distance. Yes, flags of the immigrants' home countries are also displayed. How is this different in kind from the display of the Irish flag (along with the American flag) during St. Patrick's Day parades?

Diversity is our strength. As an example, the huge influx of Cubans into Florida during the last century has helped make that state a major financial and corporate center doing business with Caribbean, Central and South American nations.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  15:22:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

http://drudgereport.com/flash7.htm HA! Bush sings it himself during his campaign! What a total asshole.

In other words "Vote for me you Hispanic vermin and then keep your mouths shut."

I suspect that when he sang in Spanish, his puppet masters handlers told him to do so.

I think it is reasonable to expect immigrants to learn English, but objecting to them singing in Spanish is just plain ignorant.

I hope they weren't singing a translation of the orignal lyrics to that melody. They were as follows From The Strait Dope:

To Anacreon in Heav'n, where he sat in full glee,
A few Sons of Harmony sent a petition;
That he their Inspirer and Patron wou'd be;
When this answer arrived from the Jolly Old Grecian;
"Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
No longer be mute,
I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot,
And besides I'll instruct you like me, to intwine,
The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine."

The news through Olympus immediately flew;
When Old Thunder pretended to give himself airs.
If these Mortals are suffered their scheme to pursue,
The Devil, a Goddess, will stay above stairs.
"Hark," already they cry,
"In transports of joy,
Away to the Sons of Anacreon we'll fly.
And besides I'll instruct you like me, to intwine,
The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine.

The Yellow-Haired God and his nine lusty Maids,
From Helion's banks will incontinent flee,
Idalia will boast but of tenantless Shades,
And the bi-forked hill a mere desert will be.
My Thunder no fear on't,
Shall soon do it's errand,
And damme I'll swing the Ringleaders I warrant,
I'll trim the young dogs, for thus daring to twine,

Apollo rose up and said, "Pry'thee ne'er quarrel,
Good sing of the Gods with my Vot'ries below:
Your Thunder is useless"--then showing his laurel,
Cry'd "Sic evitable fulmen" you know!
"Then over each head
My laurels I'll spread
So my sons from your Crackers no mischief shall dread,
While snug in their clubroom, they jovially twine,
The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine.'

Next Momus got up with his risible Phiz
And swore with Apollo he'd cheerfully join--
'The full tide of Harmony still shall be his,
But the Song, and the Catch, and the Laugh,
shall be mine.
Then Jove be not jealous
Of these honest fellows,"
Cry'd Jove, "We relent since the truth you now tell us;
And swear by Old Styx, that they long shall intwine,

Ye Sons of Anacreon then join hand in hand;
Preserve Unanimity, Friendship, and Love!
'Tis yours to support what's so happily plann'd;
You've the sanction of Gods, and the Fiat of Jove.
While thus we agree,
Our toast let it be:
"May our Club flourish Happy, United, and Free!
And long may the Sons of Anacreon intwine,

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Edited by - Ghost_Skeptic on 05/03/2006 15:42:58
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  19:24:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Great dirt on Bush, Papasmurf. Thanks for posting!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  11:04:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Washington Post Radio just reported that someone in the Bush White House said that since Bush can barely speak Spanish, the idea that he was singing a Spanish version of the National Anthem is, more or less, absurd.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  14:21:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Dave W. reported:
quote:
Washington Post Radio just reported that someone in the Bush White House said that since Bush can barely speak Spanish, the idea that he was singing a Spanish version of the National Anthem is, more or less, absurd.
Yes, outgoing (but still employed) White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan was the source of that comment.

quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush likes to drop a few words of Spanish in his speeches and act like he's proficient in the language. But he's really not that good, his spokesman said Thursday.

"The president can speak Spanish but not that well," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said. "He's not that good with his Spanish."

. . .

"It's absurd," McClellan said of the report, suggesting that Bush couldn't have sung it in Spanish even if he had wanted to.

The Administration is taking some pretty bizarre steps to separate Bush not only from the immigrant rights demonstrations, but now even from the Spanish language.

Isn't this a mistake? Does someone think that appealing to popular prejudices in this manner is going to pay off by attracting more bigots than it repels Hispanics and tolerant Anglos? I don't see Carl Rove's hand in this. That evil manipulator's generally smarter than this. It would seem to me that the political gap between the Republicans and Hispanic voters has just widened into an abyss. Has a decision been made to no longer even bother to pretend that Hispanics are been courted by the GOP? Has "Rich, White, Anglo Religious Nuts" become the whole of the voting public that the Republicans seek to influence? Bush can't capture more bigots of the Minuteman stripe; they already hate him because he is seen by them to support the border status quo, and also some kind of amnesty for undocumented immigrants.

I think this new-found denial of Spanish fluency, and contempt toward Spanish versions of the Star Spangled Banner, are yet new blunders by a wounded, panicked and incompetent Administration.

[Edied for style, substance, and to correct the link.]

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/05/2006 03:24:14
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  14:39:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I could have sworn that during the campaigns, Bush prided himself on his Spanish speaking abilities and his relations with Hispanics.

...or did I dream it?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  14:44:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
pleco pointed out:
quote:
I could have sworn that during the campaigns, Bush prided himself on his Spanish speaking abilities and his relations with Hispanics.

...or did I dream it?
Precisely correct. Now he's working hard to deny his Spanish skill, as though it were a sign of witchcraft. Weird. Guess which party, by default, picks up the Hispanic vote for the next decade or so?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/04/2006 15:03:38
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  16:18:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

...or did I dream it?

Ya dreamed it; the ignorant fucker's barely fluent in English. The Spanish everybody thinks he speaks is really an archaic form of Vulgate Gibberish that he sometimes lapses into when he can think of nothing even semi-coherent to say.

You sing the anthem in the language you've got, even if it's Parseltongue. It ain't the song that's important.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  01:55:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Daily show had a clip of Laura Bush saying she thought it was fine to sing the anthem in Spanish. The interviewer then asks if she and Georgie disagree on this matter. To which see brainlessly replies it should be sung in English. And she does not appear to notice she had just said the opposite. This explains a lot about her attraction to GW. They're both a couple of airheads.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.