Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  06:03:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Compassion

First of all, he is not trying to show off, rather to try and spread the truth. He has God's own Word - what more does he need?

His own forum?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  06:05:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
But then no one would read it. In order to "spread", like a virus you have to go where you aren't wanted.

Fortunately we have excellent medicine here for such infections.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  06:07:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
One hint to lººk's sense of smug, sanctimonious superiority was this sentence: "First lesson from Lord Jesus thru me." Get that: The message moves from Jesus, through lººk, and then to us mere mortals. lººk is thus God's middle-man in dealing with humanity. And what divine miracle has the Lord has given lººk to use in His behalf? The miracle of cut-and-paste from God's mind?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  08:20:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:

First of all, he is not trying to show off, rather to try and spread the truth.

No, he is really showing off. In the church I went to when I grew up this was considered to be bad form and rude.

quote:
He has God's own Word - what more does he need?

Some intelligence to practice what he preaches instead of just taking a bible quote and showing that to the world. Anyone can read the bible, quoting it passes on no new data or knowledge. Applying it to his/her life would be more meaningful and may just make something new and good.

quote:

Dr. Mabuse, do you want to know what REAL science is? REAL science disproves evolution and approves of creation. Why? Look at the evidence. Tell me all the science facts you can find that prove evolution is real.

Science that is based just on the bible I bet. We have lots of people coming here with that claim, they usually are just quote mining, misinterpreting evidence, or ignoring evidence outright. I would love to see some links.

As for evolution, look at these sites for some good facts:
http://www.pandasthumb.org/
http://www.talkorigins.org/

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:23:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

One hint to lººk's sense of smug, sanctimonious superiority was this sentence: "First lesson from Lord Jesus thru me."

That's the part that really chaps my butt, too. When I was an adolescent there was a church in my area that bought radio time for something it called "A Moment with God". Each morning the bit would begin (imagine a deep, commanding voice), "And now for a moment with God". Then the minister would launch into whatever it was he wanted to say to the wretches in the listening audience, never mentioning that he is not, in fact, God. Used to wear me out.

If God exists, surely he can find better ways of communicating than using the weak vessels who so often claim to be in His service.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:39:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
The existance of Biblical cities is the scientific evidence which proves every statement in the Bible, didnt you folks hear?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:50:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It's called "Witnessing." We are being Witnessed at -- again and much to my amusement.

Exactly why friend lººk chose us for this has escaped me. Perhaps he enjoys excersizes in futility; some do, you know.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:56:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I'll read your stuff, look, if you read mine. Give a specific reply to this post and we can go on from there, if you aren't banned for spamming that is.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  12:01:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

It's called "Witnessing." We are being Witnessed at -- again and much to my amusement.

Well, did anybody "witness" where lººk wandered off to?

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  12:10:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Well, did anybody "witness" where lººk wandered off to?

Wandered off to? I thought he was already dead since the greatest joy in his life must be the hope for the next one.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Compassion

8 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  19:11:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Compassion a Private Message
Middle man? God does not use certain people. Even non believers can be used to change the lives of other non believers.

As for "showing off", how does God's word contribute to him boasting?

Are YOU going to heaven? Read the Bible, God's Word, to find out the truth. God is filled with compassion for you, His creation, and will reach out to bring you salvation. He sent his son, Christ Jesus, as a substitute for your sins. Accept Christ into your heart once and for all to be saved. God's deliverance from death for you is here!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  19:43:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
"Compassion" stated:
quote:
Middle man? God does not use certain people.
Oh? Then what's wrong with us pointing out that "God's Middle-man" is exactly what lººk is portraying him/herself as?

Again, lººk wrote: "First lesson from Lord Jesus thru me."

What part of GOD --> lººk --> humanity do you not understand? Or can your fellow Christians do no wrong in your eyes?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/25/2006 19:44:43
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  19:48:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:

You seem to be missing the point, Compassion. Our friend look began his post with a prayer. As Mab already noted, such actions go against Jesus' own teachings. Note Matt 6:5, where we find:
quote:
When you pray, don't be like those show-offs who love to stand up and pray in the meeting places and on the street corners. They do this just to look good. I can assure you that they already have their reward. (from Mab's post above)

While Jesus says nothing about the internet (though this is a meeting place, of sorts!), it's not hard to extrapolate from his comments. Clearly, he's saying that one should not to make a big showy deal about praying. And what's more obnoxious than starting a post with a prayer. It just screams look at me-- I'm praying to my God!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  22:00:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
God does not use certain people. Even non believers can be used to change the lives of other non believers.

What certain people? And non believers? What about free will?

quote:

It's that "First lesson from Lord Jesus thru me" bit that does it for me. Sounds like he is trying to become a spokes person for Jesus, who really doesn't need one.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Edited by - Paulos23 on 05/25/2006 22:00:50
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  22:17:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Paulos23 stated:
quote:
It's that "First lesson from Lord Jesus thru me" bit that does it for me. Sounds like he is trying to become a spokes person for Jesus, who really doesn't need one.
Paulos, you are one kind of Christian that I would allow to wander near my kids, as you value people. You are right on the mark with the above statement.

One further remark on the "First lesson..." thing: By cloaking himself as the intermediary between God and mortals, lººk in effect puts himself on a level half-way between ordinary people and God, thus implying he's a demigod himself. Were I Christian, I would scream, "Blasphemer! False prophet!"

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/25/2006 22:57:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.