Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  05:54:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Compassion

Middle man? God does not use certain people. Even non believers can be used to change the lives of other non believers.

As for "showing off", how does God's word contribute to him boasting?

Matthew 6:5 "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  06:21:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:
Originally posted by Compassion
As for "showing off", how does God's word contribute to him boasting?

You seem to be missing the point, Compassion. Our friend look began his post with a prayer. As Mab already noted, such actions go against Jesus' own teachings. Note Matt 6:5, where we find:
quote:
When you pray, don't be like those show-offs who love to stand up and pray in the meeting places and on the street corners. They do this just to look good. I can assure you that they already have their reward. (from Mab's post above)

While Jesus says nothing about the internet (though this is a meeting place, of sorts!), it's not hard to extrapolate from his comments. Clearly, he's saying that one should not to make a big showy deal about praying. And what's more obnoxious than starting a post with a prayer. It just screams look at me-- I'm praying to my God!!!!

Matthew 6:5 does not preclude you from praying in public. Pauls says to pray when we assemble. (1Tim 2:8) And the bible says there is a time for everything. I think Jesus point is the intent. Are you praying to show off or for your own worship? Everyone here is assuming that look is doing it to show off. Maybe he is, maybe not.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  07:58:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Paulos23 stated:
quote:
It's that "First lesson from Lord Jesus thru me" bit that does it for me. Sounds like he is trying to become a spokes person for Jesus, who really doesn't need one.
Paulos, you are one kind of Christian that I would allow to wander near my kids, as you value people. You are right on the mark with the above statement.

Thanks HalfMooner. Though I don't consider myself a christian per say, more like a recovering Catholic.

There is some good stuff with christanity, but you have to weed it out of all the mixed messages. I have found that every religion is like that.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  14:44:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb
Matthew 6:5 does not preclude you from praying in public. Pauls says to pray when we assemble. (1Tim 2:8) And the bible says there is a time for everything. I think Jesus point is the intent. Are you praying to show off or for your own worship? Everyone here is assuming that look is doing it to show off. Maybe he is, maybe not.

Regardless of look's original intent, our very first introduction to him is his public praying to God. His very first words written (aside from the spam he posted in this thread almost a year ago, as well as in many other forums) was the prayer.

Robb, if you meet someone new, for the first time, what would be your impression of him if he started wave a feather-duster all over you, blowing ashes in your face and chanting bessings of Vishnu at you? Instead of just saying "How do you do? I'd like to tell you about my religion, would that be ok?"

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 05/26/2006 14:45:15
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  17:04:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

There is a time for everything, and the time for public prayer is in a church.

And I don't think look is here to show off, I think his post was a poor attempt at trying to spread the Good News. I think he's incredibly naive to believe that any non-christians here owe their unbelief to not giving the matter of Jesus' divinity proper consideration, and I think he's doubly naive if he feels quoting scripture will change any minds.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 05/26/2006 17:05:20
Go to Top of Page

lººk

5 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  17:13:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send lººk a Private Message
Thank you for disecting my post apart.

First of all, English is my second language. Plese excuse my errors.

Yes I might have been showing off by using a public prayer. But Lord Jesus will reward me because I'm not using my real name online. If I were, he wouldn't reward me.

Yes administrator, I would discuss and try to input some valuable discussions in this thread.

With your permission am I allowed to post my second lesson?
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  17:23:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Is look and compassion the same poster?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  17:37:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lººk

Thank you for disecting my post apart.

First of all, English is my second language. Plese excuse my errors.

Yes I might have been showing off by using a public prayer. But Lord Jesus will reward me because I'm not using my real name online. If I were, he wouldn't reward me.

So, Jesus is okay with you showing off if you remain anonymous? Is that because he won't know it's you? Or because it doesn't count if we don't know your real name? Either way, please explain.

quote:

Yes administrator, I would discuss and try to input some valuable discussions in this thread.

I said, if you are an active part of the discussion. I am confident that you will be kept quite busy if you choose to do this thing. Again, active means active. That doesn't mean one reply every three days just to keep it going… Go ahead and post. Good luck!

Edited to add: Why do I feel like a game show host?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  18:05:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lººk...

I fail to see any rationale whatsoever here. To me it appears that by using a nickname rather than your real name, you're either being cowardly or dishonest. Either way it's hard to conceive how you might believe you'll be rewarded. Maybe you could help out by showing where in your book of myths that terrorizing bogeyman you worship offers a reward for being a hypocrite, a coward, and/or a liar.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  18:17:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:

Will your second lesson be in your first language? Will Jesus reward you more if we don't understand anything you say at all?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  18:39:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack
I fail to see any rationale whatsoever here. To me it appears that by using a nickname rather than your real name, you're either being cowardly or dishonest. Either way it's hard to conceive how you might believe you'll be rewarded. Maybe you could help out by showing where in your book of myths that terrorizing bogeyman you worship offers a reward for being a hypocrite, a coward, and/or a liar.
I think the idea is that he can't be "showing off" for reasons of pride or personal vanity since he's posting anonymously. It's the same idea as giving to charity anonymously and not making a big display of your contribution.

You see, he considers us charity cases, and preaching to us is exactly like bathing the sick or caring for lepers.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 05/26/2006 18:51:36
Go to Top of Page

lººk

5 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  19:03:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send lººk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

[quote]

So, Jesus is okay with you showing off if you remain anonymous? Is that because he won't know it's you? Or because it doesn't count if we don't know your real name? Either way, please explain.

I said, [i]if
you are an active part of the discussion. I am confident that you will be kept quite busy if you choose to do this thing. Again, active means active. That doesn't mean one reply every three days just to keep it going… Go ahead and post. Good luck!

Edited to add: Why do I feel like a game show host?

Last person summed it perfectly for me. The charity example. My name is ... something. But this isn't a nickname that I am posting with.

I would like be an active member of this board. But on the weekends I'm extremly busy. So can't post on the weekends. Weekdays 1 to 2 days. But at most is 3 days.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  19:49:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
I would like be an active member of this board. But on the weekends I'm extremly busy. So can't post on the weekends. Weekdays 1 to 2 days. But at most is 3 days.

As long as you don't just spam us with bible verse, you should be okay... It won't take long to see how this goes...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  02:17:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
When we get a new member on these boards, I usually check out his/her profile. Like so many before, lººk has not divulged a single item of personal information; not even his/her gender nor country of origin.

Beyond what I think of as slightly poor manners, there is nothing wrong with this. However, it seems that those who refuse to let us know at least a little about themselves are too often either disruptive or simply don't last long.

But, no matter...

quote:
Last person summed it perfectly for me. The charity example. My name is ... something. But this isn't a nickname that I am posting with.

What's in a name? Most of us here use 'handles,' most of them with significance only to their owner. As for the charity part, I read somewhere that: "All acts of generosity are ultimately selfish." Sort of like giving a few $ to some destitute crackhead, just to get him away from you -- nothing wrong with that, either.

quote:

We welcome all here. The membership covers a wide range of faiths and beliefs, from to none at all to devout (I fall into the former category). It is not the frequency of posts that is important, but the pertinence and sincerity behind them -- not the quantity, but the quality, as it were. I, for one, am lººking forward to your input.

But I really must mention that we are skeptics, first, last, and foremost. As such, we will rigorously examine every word. We insist on reference and, unlike other, sloppier fora, we will open and examine every link. You really should research us before diving in. There's a head-buster of a rock under our smooth and serene surface.

That out of the way, whaddya wanna talk about?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  14:53:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Then you have obviously not read the words of the Bible right.
Why don't you start by telling us what your first language is? Maybe someone among us speak your language good enough to explain to you what "private" means. Private as in go into your room (where no one else can see you), as opposed to the public corner where everyone can see you.

Just because you are anonymous to us doesn't change one single thing. If I were to stand in the corner praying out loud, I would be anonymous to most people: everyone that doesn't know me. Yet Jesus told us that we shouldn't do that. Jesus will surely see through your poor excuse of hiding behind a thin veil of anonymity, and will choose to reward someone else instead.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.