Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  07:32:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lººk

quote:
Originally posted by Kil

[quote]

So, Jesus is okay with you showing off if you remain anonymous? Is that because he won't know it's you? Or because it doesn't count if we don't know your real name? Either way, please explain.

I said, [i]if
you are an active part of the discussion. I am confident that you will be kept quite busy if you choose to do this thing. Again, active means active. That doesn't mean one reply every three days just to keep it going… Go ahead and post. Good luck!

Edited to add: Why do I feel like a game show host?

Last person summed it perfectly for me. The charity example. My name is ... something. But this isn't a nickname that I am posting with.

I would like be an active member of this board. But on the weekends I'm extremly busy. So can't post on the weekends. Weekdays 1 to 2 days. But at most is 3 days.

The definition of an active participant in this thread is not so much a post per day sense, but rather addressing questions and issues brought up by your post.

If you're just here to post Bible passages and not defend them or respond to critiques of them, you may want to go elsewhere. This is a discussion forum where people discuss things. It is not a pulpit from which to preach.

I, likewise, have a bit of a disconnect with your claim of praying to call attention to your piety not violating Matthew 6:5 just because you are using a handle. The effect is still "Yo, dig me. I'm a lot holier than thou" and cuts to the quick of Matthew 6:5.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  13:17:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
Gee Filthy, I'm sorry. I didn't know that not filling in my profile could be considered rude. As an IT guy, I like to keep personal info off from public consumption. Irrational, I know, but everyone has their quirks.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  13:44:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Valiant Dancer remarked: "The definition of an active participant in this thread is not so much a post per day sense, but rather addressing questions and issues brought up by your post.

If you're just here to post Bible passages and not defend them or respond to critiques of them, you may want to go elsewhere. This is a discussion forum where people discuss things. It is not a pulpit from which to preach.
"

Indeed, these fora are very open, but they are interactive. And, being the fora of skeptics, this interaction is especially strong in demanding the citation of evidence. It's as though we're all from Missouri, the "Show Me" State. If you come here and post off-the-wall pronouncements, don't feel all alone if you get eaten alive for not being interactive, and for not providing evidence. It's certainly happened to me, though I am now much more careful about citations. This keeps me intellectually honest, keeps me on my toes, and helps me to tune up what's left of my brain after a stroke a couple of years ago.

I've learned the hard way: These fora eat their own young.

If you are uncomfortable with this, there are plenty of other fora where nobody ever questions basic mutual assumptions, even those based upon ancient superstitions.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  15:39:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fripp

Gee Filthy, I'm sorry. I didn't know that not filling in my profile could be considered rude. As an IT guy, I like to keep personal info off from public consumption. Irrational, I know, but everyone has their quirks.

I find myself reprimanded...

It's my own personal on-line hobby. I consider myself a fairly good, shade-tree cold-reader. Knowing your country of origin and gender can, along with your postings, tell me enough to make some decent guesses about you. Otherwise, with just the postings to go by, it takes longer -- is that the sound of running feet and doors slamming out there? Hey, I ain't that good!

Anyhow, if the simplest of info is lacking and the individual does nothing but behave like a bigbrain, and then folds his tent or gets kicked when it gets rough, I don't get to 'figger out' what is often an interesting, if obnoxious, person.

Hey, you can always lie....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  17:45:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
Re-reading that post that I wrote, I can understand how it sounds like I am digging into you, filthy. That was NOT my intention at all. I just meant to say that I never fill in profiles for my personal, irrational security concerns. I never thought that it may be construed as rude. I meant to apologize to you to coming across that way the first time, and I apologize if it seemed like I was scolding you in the second post.

Sorry for coming across snotty in either post. My fault entirely.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  19:27:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
look, was the "First Lesson from Lord Jesus thru [you]" that Jesus was...a skeptic?
quote:
21 Then Jesus asked them, "Would anyone light a lamp and then put it under a basket or under a bed? Of course not! A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light will shine.22 For everything that is hidden will eventually be brought into the open, and every secret will be brought to light. 23 Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand."
Once I cleaned the wax out of my ears, I could listen and understand.

Well, if that was Lord Jesus's lesson, I just have to say hats off to both of you for the subtle way you snuck that message in, using that little known trick - Christian evangelism as decoy for teaching skepticism!

Though a real skeptic would have taken that lamp, bent over, and dragged out whatever's being hidden under that basket or bed...

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  19:44:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
And, since we're sharing lessons from the Gospel of Mark, I'd like to mention my favorite lesson from Mark.

It's a disclaimer that appears after Mark 16:8 in my Bible (ESV) that says:

SOME OF THE EARLIEST MANUSCRIPTS DO NOT INCLUDE 16:9-20.

A disclaimer! In the Bible! How novel!

Too bad the 'proof' of Jesus's divinity, the post-resurrection appearances and ascension, are what's in those last 12 verses of Mark. But hey, at least no-one can say they weren't warned.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  19:47:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Well, so much for look's new Bible "lesson" every one or two days. True, things do sometimes come up and that can make regular posting difficult for even the most dedicated SFNer. Still, how hard can cutting-and-pasting Bible passages be? And given that he's prayed to Jeee-sus to spread the word or whatever, one would think that the son of god would go ahead and work thinks out so look could keep on spreading.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  19:50:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zebra

And, since we're sharing lessons from the Gospel of Mark, I'd like to mention my favorite lesson from Mark.

It's a disclaimer that appears after Mark 16:8 in my Bible (ESV) that says:

SOME OF THE EARLIEST MANUSCRIPTS DO NOT INCLUDE 16:9-20.

A disclaimer! In the Bible! How novel!

Too bad the 'proof' of Jesus's divinity, the post-resurrection appearances and ascension, are what's in those last 12 verses of Mark. But hey, at least no-one can say they weren't warned.

And isn't interesting that Mark is considered by most Bible scholars to be the earliest Gospel? Imagine that-- eary manuscripts of the earliest Gospel not mentioning the resurrection! What could one make of that?
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  20:03:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
One explanation would be that the author of the Gospel of Mark simply forgot to mention the post-resurrection appearances and ascension in the first edition. Yeah, that must be it.

Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  20:05:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
Or, I know, Satan made the last 12 verses invisible in the earliest editions! Wouldn't that be just like that dastardly demon?!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  03:45:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fripp

Re-reading that post that I wrote, I can understand how it sounds like I am digging into you, filthy. That was NOT my intention at all. I just meant to say that I never fill in profiles for my personal, irrational security concerns. I never thought that it may be construed as rude. I meant to apologize to you to coming across that way the first time, and I apologize if it seemed like I was scolding you in the second post.

Sorry for coming across snotty in either post. My fault entirely.

No offence taken my friend; not even at first. In spite of a low post count, you've been on these boards a pretty good while and I've gotten to know you. I took the post as I was sure it was intended, and that proved to be correct did it not?.

They say that the pen is mightier than the sword, but they forgot to add that it only influences people who read. I read a lot!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  04:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:

One explanation would be that the author of the Gospel of Mark simply forgot to mention the post-resurrection appearances and ascension in the first edition. Yeah, that must be it.

First Edition as in edited? Well Ok, I guess the lord doeth publish in mysterious ways.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  07:23:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

quote:

First Edition as in edited? Well Ok, I guess the lord doeth publish in mysterious ways.

Judging from the quality of his fact-checking and editing for consistency, I'd say the lord's publishing company could be...Random House.

Disclaimer: Not referring to the actual incorporated entity, of course. No need to unleash any lawyers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.