Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 This time, the bastards have gone too far!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  03:45:53  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yes, the Scientology quacks have invaded NASCAR.
quote:
Scientology Goes NASCAR With Dianetics Race Car

By LINDSAY FRIAGLIA and LESLIE YERANSIAN

June 6, 2006 — - The Church of Scientology is gearing up to bring its message to a whole new arena: racing fans.

"Ignite Your Potential" is the mantra Scientology uses to get Tom Cruise and other Hollywood celebs jumping up and down. Now that message will be used to fuel the engines of a new NASCAR race team.

The venture is called "The Dianetics Racing Team," named after the best-selling self-help book written by the movement's founder, science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard.

Kenton Gray, a California race-car driver who has said Dianetics helped his life and driving performance, will head up the Dianetics team.

"It's markedly improved my focus and my consistency," said Gray in a statement. "Through Dianetics I've handled stress and increased my performance and ability to compete -- both on the track and in life."

Gray finished first in five regional races over the last year and ranked in the Top 5 in dozens of other races.

How long, I wonder, before the unfortunate Gray is pressured to qualify for the Bush Series and ultimatly NEXTEL Cup?

He's sold them his soul as so many have; soon, I think, they'll want his body along with it. And they'll get it too, if they haven't already.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  06:20:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Pretty hilarious, Filthy. Maybe Scientology will sponsor a private space launch next. Hire the Ruskies or Rutan to launch Tom on a cruise. That could ruin my lifetime love of space. Uh, oh, I just gave them the idea...

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  06:44:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Pretty hilarious, Filthy. Maybe Scientology will sponsor a private space launch next. Hire the Ruskies or Rutan to launch Tom on a cruise. That could ruin my lifetime love of space. Uh, oh, I just gave them the idea...

Heh, indeed.

The biggest reason I posted this crap is in the hope that some errant Scientologist sees it and tries to pick a fight.

I don't think they've got the 'nads.....!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  07:33:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Well, do you think a venture like that would rise above say a Derrick Cope or Kirk Shelmerdine showing?

Do you think they'd survive a Scott Riggs or Robby Gordon momment?

How about the Busch brothers?

I forsee the Dianetics Dodge messed up against the turn 2 wall in the first 50 laps. Even less at Bristol.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  07:34:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Launch Tom Cruise into space? Hmmm .... sounds good to me1
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  08:02:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

Launch Tom Cruise into space? Hmmm .... sounds good to me1

Yeah, at escape velocity. And I don't care where he escapes to, so long as we can also escape him in the process.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  08:52:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:

Heh, indeed.

The biggest reason I posted this crap is in the hope that some errant Scientologist sees it and tries to pick a fight.

You know what? That doesn't seem to happen. I don't know why but we have never had a Scientologist here that I know of. And I have not seen them debating on other boards either. And yet they do proselytize. I wonder if they are actually told not to do this sort of thing…?

It wouldn't really surprise me much if they were told to avoid debate as they are secretive and, well, a cult. How better to avoid embarrassing questions then to not engage and let their legal department handle any real challenge.

They might not debate, but they are litigious.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  09:46:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil
You know what? That doesn't seem to happen. I don't know why but we have never had a Scientologist here that I know of. And I have not seen them debating on other boards either. And yet they do proselytize. I wonder if they are actually told not to do this sort of thing…?

It wouldn't really surprise me much if they were told to avoid debate as they are secretive and, well, a cult. How better to avoid embarrassing questions then to not engage and let their legal department handle any real challenge.

I've "debated" a scientologist at IMDB on the Battlefield Earth message board. All it really consisted of was "there are a lot of misconceptions about Scientology out there, please read Dianetics and decide for yourself."

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 06/07/2006 09:47:12
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  11:23:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
And there are a number of links from a Google search for Scientology forums. If we posted on some of these once in a while it's possible a crossed path would lead some of them here. Not that I care mind you. Perhaps they aren't out there preaching on the net as much as Christians. As a matter of fact, who else is preaching on the net besides Christians?
Edited by - beskeptigal on 06/07/2006 11:25:53
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  11:26:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:

Heh, indeed.

Great minds think alike, Kil. That is exactly what occurred to me when I stumbled across that article.

From what I know of them, they are merely another rip-off traveling under a cult's cloak, like some diseased crab louse in the crotch of a whore's skivvies; apologies for the mixed metaphor.

Here's a good collection of articles concerning this most despicable of organizations.

But I still think that they don't have the avocados to go head to head on any board, nor in the alley out back, either, comes to that. As you noted, they'd rather hide behind some lawyer and snivvle than show a little spine. If they weren't so hagfish slimey, you'd think they were Democrats....

I will never understand how anyone could be so stupid as to join them -- say, didn't I put something in my signature on Hubbard a while back? If I didn't, I should have. He was one world-class fuckup.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  16:31:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Hm, imagine if the Jehova Witless pick up on this and enter a car.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  17:28:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

They wouldn't win many races, what with having to stop every lap and disgorge a half dozen Witnesses to go thump bibles in the infield.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  18:28:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Randy

They wouldn't win many races, what with having to stop every lap and disgorge a half dozen Witnesses to go thump bibles in the infield.
[/quote]

Ha! That, or the JW at the wheel would attempt to prothletize to passing racecars during the heat at 190 mph, shouting/foaming at the mouth. Pit stops -- fuel up/change tires/load up on bibles.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  20:13:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
I dunno. The last time a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door, I told them politely I wasn't interested and they departed with almost no further ado - they just offered to leave me a booklet, but I told them politely I wasnt going to read it and they were on there way. Rather anticlimactic!

As for the $cientology car - well, gee, if you could do all the stuff they say that driver would win every race. The reason he won't is that rather than any kind of science, it's all just made up. All the jargon-laden ramblings are simply big ol' heapin' helpins' o' word salad from the off-kilter mind of an avaricious, unstable, paranoid, grade-C pulp sci-fi writer.
Go to Top of Page

Pernicious

35 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  00:04:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pernicious a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sts60

I dunno. The last time a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door, I told them politely I wasn't interested and they departed with almost no further ado - they just offered to leave me a booklet, but I told them politely I wasnt going to read it and they were on there way. Rather anticlimactic!

I've always wanted to really tear into one of those guys showing up at my house. Last time one came I was taking care of my baby daughter who was screaming her head off, I just resigned to a "No thanks" and shut the door.

Maybe I could make my own little Agnostic pamplets, shove them into their hands next time.

If I was the Supreme Being, I wouldn't muck about with butterflies and dandelions, I'd start with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!
-Time Bandits
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  02:06:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Well, I tried, I tried. I gave it a shot. But it looks like we're not going to get any angry Scientologists in here to defend their ignorance, stupidity, and outright criminal behavior. A pity. It would have livened things up considerably.

The only actual experience I have with the JWs was a very pleasant couple that dropped by and gave me a Watchtower, one day some years back. I told them I was an atheist and not interested, but then the conversation turned to history as concerned their church. Later, curious, I researched them a bit.

Those poor bastards get shat upon by everybody! Of course, they bring much of it upon themselves, but what the hell?

Of further interest, when they get organized to build one of their Kingdom Halls, they can get the thing up in next to no time. I've been told that they can get it done in a day, given the foundation, but haven't verified that.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.