Fake wizardry
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  19:49:19  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
I'm sure there's a matematical trick to this, having to do I think with the number 9, but I can't quite seem to pin down the details. I know that when the two digits are added together, and then subtracted from the original number, the result will always be divisible by 9. But how does the particular number match the symbol?

[edit:]
Silly me, I forgot to include the link! Here it is:
http://www.milaadesign.com/wizardy.html
[/edit]

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher

Edited by - walt fristoe on 06/29/2006 14:36:13

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  19:57:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by walt fristoe

I'm sure there's a matematical trick to this, having to do I think with the number 9, but I can't quite seem to pin down the details. I know that when the two digits are added together, and then subtracted from the original number, the result will always be divisible by 9. But how does the particular number match the symbol?

Hey Walt, you want to supply a link?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  21:24:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Thinking a bit I came up with:
For any 2 digit number, if you add the digits and subtract the result from the original number, the result is always divisible by 9.

10 - 1 = 9

27 - 9 = 18

71 - 8 = 63

For any 2 digit number, let us represent the number value by x and y respectivly.

Thus the actual number is 10x + y. eg 23 = 2*10 + 3

Our equation is thus

10x + y - (x + y)
= 10x -x + y - y
= 9x

QED
Go to Top of Page

Giltwist
Skeptic Friend

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  21:42:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Giltwist's Homepage  Send Giltwist an AOL message  Send Giltwist an ICQ Message  Send Giltwist a Yahoo! Message Send Giltwist a Private Message
That's absolutely right. Questions like this are part of a branch of mathematics called Number Theory. Absolutely interesting stuff and it all is basic arithmetic give or take modulus. RSA Encryption is actually something I was shown how to do in Number Theory. It's actually really smart, and only really breakable by a brute force, try every possibility til it works way. Use a couple of 11 digit prime numbers as the basis for the encryption and we're talking significant computer time to break.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  22:56:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
But how does the particular number match the symbol?

I believe I know the trick you're talking about. Look at each multiple of nine. They will all have the same symbol. So when you follow the steps, you always end up with a multiple of nine, and thus, always get the same symbol for no matter what number you choose..

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  07:18:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I believe I know the trick you're talking about. Look at each multiple of nine. They will all have the same symbol. So when you follow the steps, you always end up with a multiple of nine, and thus, always get the same symbol for no matter what number you choose..

Right, and each time you do it again the symbol changes so it takes longer to see the pattern.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  07:27:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Here are links to a couple I've used on my kids: Crystal Ball and Sprite

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  07:30:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Here's a link to one of them.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  08:02:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

That's the link I was looking for! Didn't we have a thread on that one, Dave W.? I can't find it, but I'm sure I remember it.

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  15:11:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

That's very much like the one I meant to post, just a different look.

You still ROCK Dave!

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  17:24:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hey, walt, it's nice to seeing you posting again. Welcome back.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  08:25:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
D'oh! No wonder this seemed so familiar. Damn, I'm getting old!

(Note: The link in the old thread no longer works.)

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  23:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'm obviously getting old, too, Wendy. I didn't even think that discussion happened here.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  20:02:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I like the witch theme, though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.