Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  11:16:04  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Here's a photo I took a couple of years ago. There were hundreds of people on the edge of the river to watch the fireworks. The whole scene was quite active and festive. I looked down along the shore and there was a young girl standing off by herself, intently watching the sparkler she was holding, apparently lost in a dream. The serenity of that scene was quite a contrast to the flurry of activity surrounding me at the time. I had to capture it.

July Fourth Dreamer

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  11:51:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
That's an awesome photo. You should try submitting it someplace.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  12:15:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Wonderful photo. When my son was a tiny tot, we had friends over and went to see the big fireworks. The kids were not too impressed. But at home when we had little fireworks in the yard the kids were ecstatic.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  12:16:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Great shot.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  13:57:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack
The serenity of that scene

Nice lighting, too bad you didn't get a close up of the the subject instead of that long shot. Did you bracket?
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  15:25:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I like the pull back showing the lake and the other shore. The lake gives more to the serenity, while the lights on the other side show that the "real world" is still very close.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  17:30:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snake

quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack
The serenity of that scene

Nice lighting, too bad you didn't get a close up of the the subject instead of that long shot. Did you bracket?

I'm with pleco on that one. The framing's great as is.

If it was my own daughter with the sparkler, I might have also wanted a close-up, but I wouldn't swap it for the actual photo GeeMack took.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  19:22:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Also including the vastness of the lake with the small girl in front of it makes for a great contrast. A close up shot would have missed this. I can't imagine any way you could ever make a picture like this any better.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 07/04/2006 19:22:57
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  00:33:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

I'm with pleco on that one. The framing's great as is.

Actually it's not the best it could be, I was trying to be polite and not too critical.(I tend to do that with photos, sorry! But am really trying to help in a good way. I love photography so much.) There is however potential in the work. That's a plus. But perhaps the computer doesn't show off the all the features so I won't say anything else. He should keep shooting and learn from each photo.
I only wanted to point out that it's a shame to waste such wonderful available lighting on a wide angle shot (of that type of subject).
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  06:47:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
But using a wide angle shot, you are able to capture more of the background. In this picture, the background is just as important, if not more so, than the foreground.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  08:50:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Thanks for all the comments. I didn't expect to generate such a discussion. I have participated in several on-line photography groups, and have submitted this photo for critique and received generally positive comments.

The subject of this shot is the entire scene, not the little girl. She is, of course, an integral component of the scene, without which it would just be some dumb picture of a boring river. I had hoped to capture a sense of her smallness and quietness, and of her being away by herself in a situation where children might otherwise be playing and interacting with each other. Including the river and the far shoreline provides the scale. In fact, if it wasn't for all those loud, beer drinking adults in lawn chairs and dozens of other hollering laughing children just barely outside the frame of this shot, I might well have pulled back even further.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  08:56:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Being an outstanding expert on my personal opinion, I hereby proclaim this photograph pretty freakin' cool.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  09:35:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
The nature and quality of the picture is befitting the Zip USA feature of National Geographic magazine.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  15:13:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Wonderful photo, GeeMack! I especially love how the sparkler is both a subject of the composition, and a source of light.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  15:46:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

The nature and quality of the picture is befitting the Zip USA feature of National Geographic magazine.

I second that.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  10:51:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

OMG, do you even know what you are talking about?
I'm an excellent photographer and I don't even know if my work would be acceptable for National Geographic. Their standards are extraordinarily high. (LOOK at their magazine - Go to their website - really SEE .... oh why do I even bother)
I'm trying to help and educate you people. To raise your level of appreciation.... Oh well! You can lead a horse to water, etc., etc.
CuriousCreations.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.