Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  14:07:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Good to hear, Dave. Thanks for straigtening that out. My apologies.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  15:59:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I hope that this discussion by all sides can remain focused upon what B. has written in her analysis, and not on old stuff that is not really at issue here. B. seems to have done her homework in her critique of the media.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/10/2006 16:00:41
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  23:18:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
Reading about how press releases are presented as news (and now the same is done with video clips) reminds of when I worked for Done Petroleum (then the largest upstream oil company in Canada) as it tottered on the verge of bankruptcy for several years before being bought by Amoco. We could read the next morning's Calgary Herald articles about us on the bulletin board the preceding afternoon. These press releases were used verbatum without attribution. I guess the lazy ass reporters wanted people to think they found things out. There is nothing wrong with reporting what a corporation says as long as the information is presented as a press release with attribution.

I wonder if the PR firms that are getting all this government money are kicking some back to Republican Party in the form of campaign contributions. This is what happened in the Sponsorship Scandal that led to the defeat of the Liberals in the last Canadian federal election.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  03:51:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Gorgo, thanks for the link. What a colorful poster, I'm sorry RubySue has been absent of late. The first post was all color and no guts and it's going on 4 am. It will be the first thing I get back to when I return to the forum. I'll have to read Ruby's links and further posts before commenting on Chomsky et al. But I merely used their description of the point I was making on the JREF thread. I didn't use any of their work as supporting evidence really.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  04:34:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Again, notice that she used Frontpagemag as a source. David Horowitz and others make a living out of lying about people like Chomsky. That doesn't make me a "Chomsky Robot" for noticing nor does it make Chomsky perfect.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  04:57:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
One only has to Google- "Ruder Finn" Yugoslavia- to read some interesting things about PR and "humanitarian war."

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  16:30:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
OK I read some more of rubysue. The thing about Chomsky is one doesn't have to agree with someone's political view to look at that person's observations.

There must be lots of people with left, right and center political stands that have concerns about corporate and government propaganda and ever increasing control over what information the majority of people in the country get their world view from.

The rest on this issue seems to be some leftover baggage from previous discussions between Gorgo and others. I have no problem with those issues spilling over to this thread if need be. But if the discussion reached its peak usefulness in other threads it isn't likely to go anywhere in this one.

I posted the thread in JREF because that is where the people drawing incorrect conclusions or expressing doubt about my statements in other threads were. You say that information is controlled or at least manipulated and it garners attacks of, "you must be a conspiracy woo."

I suppose opinion of the degree of this threat varies greatly even in this forum. When I see the political use of propaganda in this country; how successful it has been in the last decade; how gerrymandering voting districts and Ohio/Florida election issues have perhaps installed and perhaps kept and will continue to keep the current people in power; I see a country run by a dictatorial-like group of people.

We are so close to not having a free system of elections if we are not already there. Is this China? Are these people in power now going to be able to keep themselves there? So far they have and by similar tactics as used in countries with mere facades of democracies. One doesn't need a military to suppress free elections.

The corporate media control is a serious but nonetheless a side issue as far as product promotion. The fact corporate wealth is at the heart of the control is certainly key. This is what you see in countries run by dictators. The rich and the people in power team up to keep the status quo. You only need military power supporting the status quo when dissent rears up.

Spying on large numbers of people and developing computer programs to detect dissent and address it with propaganda attacks seems to be one potential step up from focus group market surveys. I'm not saying this is what Bush, et al is doing with all the computer data base mining but I do wonder if it has gotten that far. If it has it wouldn't surprise me.

So I am at the near end of the continuum of how bad is it without being into the conspiracy territory as typically described by the woos. I don't expect everyone else thinks it's that bad. I'm out to convince a few more that it is.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/11/2006 16:34:17
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  03:09:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
No, you don't have to agree with Chomsky's politics, and you don't have to agree with everything he says to take something away from what he writes. He voted for Clinton and Gore and he's wealthy, so I think that makes him a wealthy Democrat, although he would disagree with that strongly. (that he supports the Democratic Party, not that he's wealthy)

I don't think I ever got through Manufacturing Consent.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Herman%20/Manufacturing_Consent.html

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  01:03:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
JohnOAS might be interested in this addition I just added to the thread about fake news in Aussie newspapers.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=1764567#post1764567

Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/13/2006 01:03:47
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  01:10:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

No, you don't have to agree with Chomsky's politics, and you don't have to agree with everything he says to take something away from what he writes. He voted for Clinton and Gore and he's wealthy, so I think that makes him a wealthy Democrat, although he would disagree with that strongly. (that he supports the Democratic Party, not that he's wealthy)

I don't think I ever got through Manufacturing Consent.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Herman%20/Manufacturing_Consent.html

From just the conclusion that appears to be an excellent piece, whether you like Chomsky or not. I will have to read the rest. Interesting it is from 1988.

quote:
Furthermore, while there have been important structural changes centralizing and strengthening the propaganda system, there have been counterforces at work with a potential for broader access. The rise of cable and satellite communications, while initially captured and dominated by commercial interests, has weakened the power of the network oligopoly and retains a potential for enhanced local-group access. There are already some 3,000 public-access channels in use in the United States, offering 20,000 hours of locally produced programs per week, and there are even national producers and distributors of programs for access channels through satellites (e.g., Deep-Dish Television), as well as hundreds of local suppliers, although all of them must struggle for funding.
The first part hasn't panned out and cable news is as bad as the rest but the public channel in my area has started showing a lot more quality free speech pieces. (As opposed to the totally wacko and weird religious stuff that is still there.) And there are more free speech pieces on the college radio stations here too.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/13/2006 01:21:33
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  01:32:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

You say that information is controlled or at least manipulated and it garners attacks of, "you must be a conspiracy woo."

We
know
you
no
woo

As you pointed out this doesn't require a big conspiracy - a lot of it is driven by greed and laziness. It is easy and cheap to to run the canned fake news.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  01:59:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
As you pointed out this doesn't require a big conspiracy - a lot of it is driven by greed and laziness. It is easy and cheap to to run the canned fake news.

Let us not forget to assign the proper ammount of blame onto the consumers of network and cable "news" as well.

The bottom line is simple, if people didn't watch it it wouldn't be on TV. (not for long anyway)

Ratings drive the revenue, and the money is what matters.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  17:47:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

JohnOAS might be interested in this addition I just added to the thread about fake news in Aussie newspapers.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=1764567#post1764567

Interesting, but unfortunately not entirely surprising.

I never buy the newspaper during the week. We do get the two of the major newspapers on Sundays, but to be honest that's mostly so we've got a copy of the weekly TV guide. I used to read the comics from both papers, but it's been months since I've even bothered with that. My wife reads them, but I don't bother. I get a little news from a the web and a few subscribed email postings.

From the SMH article Beskeptical linked to in her post.
quote:
But there is a more serious side to drops. Editors are under pressure to boost circulation in an increasingly difficult market. People are busier. More people are driving or listening to MP3 players, rather than reading newspapers on their way to work.

This is me to a tee. I spend at least 2-3 hours a day in the car, so I go through a lot of podcasts. Most of them aren't "real" news in the conventional sense, but they usually reference the big issues in one way or another.

I also spend a good chunk of my time working for a government agency, so I get more exposure to politics than I would sometimes like in this regard.

Thanks for the link.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  22:56:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Let us not forget to assign the proper ammount of blame onto the consumers of network and cable "news" as well.

The bottom line is simple, if people didn't watch it it wouldn't be on TV. (not for long anyway)

Ratings drive the revenue, and the money is what matters.

The big problem is 49% of voters can dig out the real news and we still have that 51% screwing up the country voting the slick marketers into power, (or a close enough election the extra % can be had by scams and fraud).
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  22:58:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

[quote]

Did you notice I had to point out it wasn't a conspiracy but a trend 4 more times answering people's replies in the forum?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.