Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Rapture Imminent, the tiff in the holy land.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:17:43  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Since the world as we know it will be ending in the near future I just wanted to say goodbye before then as I am predicting a power loss at the time, its been great you folks really are wonderfully sane and far more patient then I could be.

I am of course refering to the imminent Isreali/Muslim war which is brewing, no doubt after this the Isrealis will not be so generous with the Palestinians and the far right groups will finally rebuild the Temple as they are planning to do.

Goodbye and Good luck,
BigPapaSmurf

P.S. The Isrealis have pretty much declared war on Syria and are recalling the troops, FYI. Not to sound alarmist or anything.

Edit: Sinfully bad grammer.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 07/14/2006 11:52:11

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:24:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Sorry, thats the US that blamed Syria, Isreal blamed Lebanon/Hezbolah

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  12:32:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Don't forget the Pakistanis and Indians are about to fling nuclear missiles at each other, we are going to invade Iran when Iraq votes to annex themselves to Iran by popular vote, Bush of course then blaming Iran for fixing the elections, and we are likely to send in troops to Bolivia and Venezuela to secure oil and gas supplies when the Mideast erupts into a radioactive wasteland.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  12:34:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
"Last chance" for peace in Iraq, PM says
quote:
Several hours after Maliki spoke, clashes erupted between gunmen armed with rocket-propelled grenades and police and residents in Um al-Maalif, a mainly Shi'ite neighborhood in southern Baghdad.....
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  16:29:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I say let's all move to Mab's house and bask in that glorious Swedish sun.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  16:33:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
And of course the Rapture Ready crowd is creaming in its pants.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  16:45:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
It seems to me that if the rapture actually does happen and millions upon millions of people just vanish in one second, that would be PROOF of not only God but of the Christian version of the apocalypse. There would be no need for faith. I would think then that I would have no problem "believing" in god/jesus.

So I see this as a win-win for me. Unless I die before this happens, then I get sent to the lake of fire because I dared ask questions. That would be a lose-lose.

Meh, the world has always been a vicious place at any point in history depending on where you live and whose side you are on. I don't see these times as any different, just more visible with the instant communications we have.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 07/12/2006 16:47:39
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  17:08:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco
Meh, the world has always been a vicious place at any point in history depending on where you live and whose side you are on. I don't see these times as any different, just more visible with the instant communications we have.

I hope this degree of communication might in some way put a damper on future hysteria. In 30-40 years, I'd love to be able to plop a link to that thread in front of a couple of bible beaters and say "look, these people were absolutely convinced that Jesus would be here any minute, just like you, and they were wrong, just like you." I think part of the reason why knowledge of all the failed prophecies of past end-timers doesn't dissuade them is that it's hard to connect with the dead and forgotten people who held such beliefs. But say 40 years of threads speculating about a rapture that never comes? Hopefully that sense of failed history will lead a few of them to realize the ridiculousness of maintaining such beliefs.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  17:10:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Yeah mon, they be experiencing that good lordy-lord psilocybin mojo...
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/10/psychedelic.research.ap/index.html

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  17:13:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Maybe, but 2000 years (give or take whenever Revelations was written) has passed and no Beastie yet. But I agree that the vast amount of information a person has at their fingertips is mind-boggling. I guess we'll just wait and see...As far as religious zealots are concerned, I'm a glass-half-empty kinda guy.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  17:21:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Spooky place, that Rapture Ready message board...gives me the creeps.
The posters there were in a rapture-frenzy with that godaweful tsunami that killed a quarter million people. When scanning that board during the first few days with then reports of a few tens of thousands dead, a number of the sicko Rapture posters were in utter glee with that patheic news. "The end is near!" or, "Our lord and savior is approaching" was a common post.

I was somewhat surprised when a moderator slamdunked the lot of them, scolding/reminding them the tsunami was creating untold human suffering, and "if anyone here was posting more happiness about it, they would be banned from the (rapture) board".

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  17:44:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
I hope this degree of communication might in some way put a damper on future hysteria. In 30-40 years, I'd love to be able to plop a link to that thread in front of a couple of bible beaters and say "look, these people were absolutely convinced that Jesus would be here any minute, just like you, and they were wrong, just like you." I think part of the reason why knowledge of all the failed prophecies of past end-timers doesn't dissuade them is that it's hard to connect with the dead and forgotten people who held such beliefs. But say 40 years of threads speculating about a rapture that never comes? Hopefully that sense of failed history will lead a few of them to realize the ridiculousness of maintaining such beliefs.

Well, H, you can start by using this wonderful site to show them that their brand of nonsense is nothing new.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  10:25:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Latest is that the Isrealis have blockaded Lebanon by sea and air attacked an airbase on the Syrian border and the Beruit Airport. Hezballah has responded with 70 rockets.

France Greece and Russia have come down on Isreal for way over reacting and of course the US is gung ho pro-Isreal/Nukes to stop suicide bombers.

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  13:34:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

quote:

Yeah mon, they be experiencing that good lordy-lord psilocybin mojo...
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/10/psychedelic.research.ap/index.html

One thing I will say for the RR bunch: their emoticons are way-kooler than ours.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  14:00:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

One thing I will say for the RR bunch: their emoticons are way-kooler than ours.

Would you like the emoticon blowing the horn?

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  15:20:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
But not to worry guys, not to worry. Our Great Leader and the Republicans in congress are on top of it. They're gonna keep them queers from getting married, yeah! Gonna amend the Constitution for it, yeah! Gonna ignore everything else ('cept'n fund-raisin') 'till they gets it done, yeah! God's on our side, yeah!

Hoard canned goods and stockpile ammunition....., YEAH!!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.