Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Rapture Imminent, the tiff in the holy land.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  18:52:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:

One thing I will say for the RR bunch: their emoticons are way-kooler than ours.

Would you like the emoticon blowing the horn?

I especially liked the cute chearleaders with the pom-poms.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Edited by - leoofno on 07/13/2006 18:54:40
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  23:42:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

And of course the Rapture Ready crowd is creaming in its pants.

That has to be the most disgusting religion on Earth along with the 72 virgins if you blow up a few little old ladies on a bus creeps.

"Oooh, I'm so excited, WWIII is starting and Israel is in the center of it. Jesus has to be coming this time, he just has to be."
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  23:47:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

I hope this degree of communication might in some way put a damper on future hysteria. In 30-40 years, I'd love to be able to plop a link to that thread in front of a couple of bible beaters and say "look, these people were absolutely convinced that Jesus would be here any minute, just like you, and they were wrong, just like you." I think part of the reason why knowledge of all the failed prophecies of past end-timers doesn't dissuade them is that it's hard to connect with the dead and forgotten people who held such beliefs. But say 40 years of threads speculating about a rapture that never comes? Hopefully that sense of failed history will lead a few of them to realize the ridiculousness of maintaining such beliefs.

HH, you don't have to wait. There are millions of groups in the recent and distant past that said the exact same thing. This is just another version. And these guys will say the other people don't know what we know, and in 50 more years those people will say these people didn't know what we know...

What is it about the human species that it wants to be in a fantasy world? I have a much nicer fantasy, myself...lot more fun than some stupid big war.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  23:49:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

Spooky place, that Rapture Ready message board...gives me the creeps.
The posters there were in a rapture-frenzy with that godaweful tsunami that killed a quarter million people. When scanning that board during the first few days with then reports of a few tens of thousands dead, a number of the sicko Rapture posters were in utter glee with that patheic news. "The end is near!" or, "Our lord and savior is approaching" was a common post.

I was somewhat surprised when a moderator slamdunked the lot of them, scolding/reminding them the tsunami was creating untold human suffering, and "if anyone here was posting more happiness about it, they would be banned from the (rapture) board".

Now that's interesting.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  00:03:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

One thing I will say for the RR bunch: their emoticons are way-kooler than ours.

I like the cat fight, lalala (I can't hear you) and pound (guy laughing then pounds the ground).
Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/14/2006 00:03:50
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  00:05:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Daily Show started off with the WWIII in the works opening bit.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  00:26:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:
I was somewhat surprised when a moderator slamdunked the lot of them, scolding/reminding them the tsunami was creating untold human suffering, and "if anyone here was posting more happiness about it, they would be banned from the (rapture) board".

Now that's interesting.

It doesn't cramp down on the celebrating as much as you might expect. It's just that the "holy crap look at this disaster!" and the "I'm so happy because Jesus is gonna be here soon" comments are kept in separate threads. However, is doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there is a direct correlation between the frequency of the two.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/14/2006 00:26:42
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  11:51:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
The latest,

Rockets hit Isreali ship off Beruit
Syria warns that Hezballah could strike at nuke sites
Iran warns against attacking Syria
Bombs takes out H headquarters
Still no pictures of Suri?!? WTF Cruises.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  13:18:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
It might be time to buy my own personal tank....

http://tinyurl.com/g66gd

But where to park the thing on the busy streets of Seattle?

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Edited by - Paulos23 on 07/14/2006 13:19:22
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  13:23:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
My son seems to think the Rapture Ready site is like the Landover Baptist site. Is there a similar rapture parody site? He didn't have time to see if we were talking about the same site.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  19:35:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

My son seems to think the Rapture Ready site is like the Landover Baptist site.
That's an example of "Russell's Law," which is the proposition that it is impossible to distinguish between actual creationists and spoofs of creationists. I'm pretty sure it extends to fundamentalists of all stripes, really. Russell's Law is why Landover Baptist gets hate mail from atheists.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  21:16:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:

... ok, read the comments and ratings of this thing. I'm still laughing my ass off.

As for the rapture... I can't wait.

Think about it. All the retared psycho-religious zealots will be gone from the earth. Can it get any better than that?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  21:32:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Can it get any better than that?
Yeah, it could: God could leave a briefcase full of cash (hundreds, at a minimum) in place of each person raptured. I know several of 'em in my office, and I'm sure I could get at least a couple briefcases before everyone else figured out what was going on.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  23:23:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

Ahaha! Look at the thing:

Now, where have I seen this before?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  23:30:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The tank ad: 6hp Tecumseh gasoline engine, top speed 40 mph.

I could be mistaken but wouldn't that suggest a riding lawnmower is under the cover?

83 reviews? Those have to be fakes. The first one the guy claims he thought he was buying an action figure toy. Yeah right, for 20 grand.

I guess it could be a go kart under the shell.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/14/2006 23:36:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.