Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Rapture Imminent, the tiff in the holy land.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  23:59:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Go see the NAO Design website, which includes working links to PayPal for the 'Donk "tank" and at least one photo of some guy driving the thing. I particularly like the way it looks at night with the lights on. More than that, however, I really like their "Infernoptix," which is a freakin' digital display made of fire.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  04:23:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by H. Humbert
I hope this degree of communication might in some way put a damper on future hysteria. In 30-40 years, I'd love to be able to plop a link to that thread in front of a couple of bible beaters and say "look, these people were absolutely convinced that Jesus would be here any minute, just like you, and they were wrong, just like you." I think part of the reason why knowledge of all the failed prophecies of past end-timers doesn't dissuade them is that it's hard to connect with the dead and forgotten people who held such beliefs. But say 40 years of threads speculating about a rapture that never comes? Hopefully that sense of failed history will lead a few of them to realize the ridiculousness of maintaining such beliefs.

quote:
Well, H, you can start by using this wonderful site to show them that their brand of nonsense is nothing new.

Long one of my favorite sites. I may have put it up in here a time or two, myself. Here's another in the same vein.

The rapture crowd, et al. of the same leanings, has some amusement value in that they simply fail to read any history that doesn't fall in line with what they think that history ought to be. They are the sheep that the Bible lauds, really, and there is a sound reason for that. Without the blind faith of all but brain-dead followers, no religion could exist in modern times. The Bible, the Koran, the Torah; all would be mere museum curiosities.

But the sheep are manifest, and if they don't chase the 'official' will o' the wisp, they will find some other, crackpot philosophy to spend their time and empty their bank accounts on. Scientology or Heaven's Gate or the Church of Latter Day Saints or Falun Gong, by way of examples.

Kool-Aid comes in many flavors, does it not?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/15/2006 09:40:00
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  07:47:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I'm surprised someone has not called the two kidnapped soldiers the two witnesses from Revelation...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  10:04:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Go see the NAO Design website, which includes working links to PayPal for the 'Donk "tank" and at least one photo of some guy driving the thing. I particularly like the way it looks at night with the lights on. More than that, however, I really like their "Infernoptix," which is a freakin' digital display made of fire.

I have to say, the tank does look impressive but it really can't have that much armor on it with only a 40hp engine. I was waiting for the right moment to use it on the board. Edit: here is their website about it http://www.jl421.com/. There are some broken links in there, but if you go back to the home page you can usualy get to the page you want to from there.

Heh, I really like their PneumatiPak, for those squirt gun battles you just have to win. You would win them by the intimidation facture alone.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Edited by - Paulos23 on 07/15/2006 10:20:22
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  10:11:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
Long one of my favorite sites. I may have put it up in here a time or two, myself. Here's another in the same vein.

Ah, those magical dates of when the world will end. Of course I put my money on 12/24/2011 when the Fifth World ends. Of course the Sixth World is to start the next day....

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  10:14:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

And of course the Rapture Ready crowd is creaming in its pants.

Dang, it looks like they shut down that thread. Could they be getting wise?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  13:12:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

I have to say, the tank does look impressive but it really can't have that much armor on it with only a 40hp engine.
The thing only weighs 900 pounds, or less than half of my Saturn four-door.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  15:57:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

I have to say, the tank does look impressive but it really can't have that much armor on it with only a 40hp engine.
The thing only weighs 900 pounds, or less than half of my Saturn four-door.

The site says "plush interior", but it looks pretty spartin in the photo with the guy driving it. It look spretty crappy, in fact. And whats with the "400 watt premium sound with PA system"? So you can be listening to some good tunes when you get blown up in your little tin can?

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  17:39:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
http://www.surpluscityca.com/mmbc/motor.html

For a cool little 'fight the commuter traffic' car, try a British Ferret Scout Car. Some are street legal, and can be had for under 20k.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  23:51:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Dang, it looks like they shut down that thread. [Rapture Ready] Could they be getting wise?

Google still has the cached link but I can't make a hyperlink.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:iW2NTw3jHlcJ
:www.rr-bb.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D264610+&hl
=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

Copy that address without the line breaks. If I leave the line breaks in, this board adds all sorts of weird stuff. I'm sure Dave, Kil, and or @tomic can explain.

Another way to get to the same cache: copy this line
http://www.rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=264610
into Google's search engine instead of the address line. Then click on the cache instead of going to the site.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/15/2006 23:52:27
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  06:05:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal
quote:

Dang, it looks like they shut down that thread. [Rapture Ready] Could they be getting wise?

Here you go!

Them "RR" folks sure is scary.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  07:52:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

quote:
quote:

Here you go!

Indeed...

But something that puzzles me: it is said that the Rapture will only be for a very limited number of customers. What gives anyone, however devout, the idea that they have a guaranteed, free-of-charge ticket on the Concord to Heaven?

They think rather highly of themselves as well.....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  13:15:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JohnOAS

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Here you go!

Indeed...

But something that puzzles me: it is said that the Rapture will only be for a very limited number of customers. What gives anyone, however devout, the idea that they have a guaranteed, free-of-charge ticket on the Concord to Heaven?

What scares me is that Rapturephiles don't realize how fundamentally (pardon the pun) wrong it is to wish suffering, destruction, and ultimately death on billions of your fellow planetary inhabitants just so you can get invited to Jay-zuz' birthday party and get to eat all the cake and ice cream you want without ever getting sick. Their self-centered assholiness is utterly contemptible.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  13:46:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Too true, wreck, too true.

And worse yet, a fair percentage of these perverts are looking forward to a front-row seat for observing the suffering in Hell. It makes you wonder if there is really a benign religion, at least in the main stream.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  17:45:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
Indeed...

That's just the old Calvinist idea of the "Elect" (aka "Irresistible Grace" or "holy rape of the soul"), that there are a mere handful of chosen Christians predestined to get into heaven whether they like it or not.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/16/2006 18:00:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.