Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  11:22:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I play CoV way more than most people would consider to be healthy. But I'm retired and live alone, and I'm not neglecting anything vital in my life. Most people don't have the time to play like I do. As soon as I have a social life again, I will doubtless play CoV very little, and miss it hardly at all. In the meantime, it's my back, and my damned monkey!

Bit of a catch 22 eh?

There is that aspect, but my lack of "real" social life is mainly due to my lack of transportation, and disposable income. Local buses run only during a few of the daylight hours, and do not even connect to the rest of the Bay Area on weekends. Try dating with that situation -- I have! I've made a decision to put off any attempt at being a normal human being until I can afford to do so.

My California drivers license was revoked after my stroke almost 3 years ago. At that time, I was returning to my then home in Washington State, and had a local license there, which was not revoked. (I had to present a document from my physician.) I haven't had the spare cash since returning to California to go through the complex process of getting my license reinstated. I can legally drive in any other state. Right now, I could not afford the insurance, either, so my car sits idle. My Social Security kicks in within a year, and the extra cash should make a social life possible. So I spend $15 a month for a virtual social life in the meantime.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  11:34:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner
My California drivers license was revoked after my stroke almost 3 years ago. At that time, I was returning to my then home in Washington State, and had a local license there, which was not revoked. (I had to present a document from my physician.) I haven't had the spare cash since returning to California to go through the complex process of getting my license reinstated. I can legally drive in any other state. Right now, I could not afford the insurance, either, so my car sits idle. My Social Security kicks in within a year, and the extra cash should make a social life possible. So I spend $15 a month for a virtual social life in the meantime.
And more power (and money!) to you!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  16:02:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
So they came to pick my copy of City of Hereos that they sent me by mistake, at my Blacksburg address. I told them to send Guild Wars to my Blacksburg address as well. Then I recieve word from my brother today that they sent me City Of Hereos again, to my New Jersey (the wrong) address.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed...

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  16:19:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

So they came to pick my copy of City of Hereos that they sent me by mistake, at my Blacksburg address. I told them to send Guild Wars to my Blacksburg address as well. Then I recieve word from my brother today that they sent me City Of Hereos again, to my New Jersey (the wrong) address.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed...

I can see why.

They don't have it at your local computer game store?

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  16:20:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I need to update my characters. The warrior has gone post-searing.

Post-searing character: Lothar the Lowbred (warrior lvl 11)
Post-searing character: Trilliadin Qumbla (ranger/mesmer lvl 9)

dglas, you had a guild?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  18:08:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I need to update my characters. The warrior has gone post-searing.

Post-searing character: Lothar the Lowbred (warrior lvl 11)
Post-searing character: Trilliadin Qumbla (ranger/mesmer lvl 9)

dglas, you had a guild?

No, sir. I have a guild, although most of the current members are inactive. The EEG guild has a cloak, which I may be able to edit if folks want me to and, and a guild hall, although you have to get to a cetain point in the game before you can access it. Anyone joining a guild automatically gets the cloak for the guild (which they may display or not, as they wish). I've been keeping mine hidden, but if you want to se it, that can be easily arranged.

Ysa Myenne (Mo/E) is now level 11
Tanith Rahnee (Mo/E)is now level 8 (staying pre-searing as a newb helper)

Edited by - dglas on 08/24/2006 18:09:37
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  20:09:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Perhaps we could create a SFN-guild if we get enought players. If would be cool to have a cape with a big question mark on it, or something...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  21:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
quote:

Perhaps we could create a SFN-guild if we get enought players. If would be cool to have a cape with a big question mark on it, or something...

Well, the EEG (Epicly Experienced Gamers - an "oldtimers" NWN guild) cape is blue with a crenellation trim and with gold crossed keys as the symbol. I am considering going to a black cape with blood-red fire trim. I haven't decided on a symbol yet though. Maybe I'll keep the keys. Open to suggestions...

I can invite you into the EEG at any time you wish and that includes anyone form the SFN who wants to play. I can't change the guild name, that I know of.

The guild hall has a Xunlai already, I'm told. I'm trying to turn Tenache into a farming character so I can pimp out the guild hall.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  07:27:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I never got a good manual in my "Special collection box" that I bought. I have the "manuscripts" booklet, but it has no good search index, just a brief table of contents.

I had to experiment a while before I figured out that [CTRL]+space meant "Call out Target". But I still don't know how to get my character to attack the target someone else calls. Then there are the Emotes. The paper I have lists 38 emotes, but I know there are more.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  10:55:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
quote:

I never got a good manual in my "Special collection box" that I bought. I have the "manuscripts" booklet, but it has no good search index, just a brief table of contents.

I had to experiment a while before I figured out that [CTRL]+space meant "Call out Target". But I still don't know how to get my character to attack the target someone else calls. Then there are the Emotes. The paper I have lists 38 emotes, but I know there are more.

Heh. I started with some keystroke notes and then got carried away.

I've remapped a key or two, but I do have the "Keyboard Commands Quick Reference" so I'll give you a few of the keys that are helpful. Of course, in your options screen/controls, you can remap keys, and (coincidentally) see what commands are mapped to what keys.

First: A note on movement. The character pathing is actually not bad in this game. That means left-clicking on the ground somewhere is, I find, the easiest and most efficient way of moving around. I can see that some players still use the movement keys, but I never do. Click and hold the left mouse button and move your mouse around to change your view. Experiment and you'll know what I mean.

Combat
TAB - Target Next/Previous
CTRL - Show Targets
ALT - Show Others
C - Target Closest
T - Called Target

In an outpost, ALT shows NPCs which you can click on to auto-go to them. CTRL shows players.

Here's one they don't show that is very useful in party play.
CTRL + action - Announces what you are doing and information.
(1) As a healer type, I often have to tell the warriors (who are usually high on adrenaline) that I have no energy left to heal them in the next epic battle (CTRL-energy bar). The ones who live are the ones who take heed.
(2) The initial attacker can notify the party of the target and people can concentrate their attacks on that target. The party that completes missions is the party that learns the fundamaental tactics.

(I switched TAB to show others, and ALT to target closest. That way ALT-SPACE attacks nearest)

Remember, the number keys are mapped to your skills bar.

Maps and Quests/Missions
M - Map
U - Small Map
L - Quest Log

There is a Follow Target function which I have remapped to F. I do not recall the original key for this.

Hero Management
H - Hero
I - Inventory
K - Skills
G - Guild
P - Party
N - Friends

A quick note on fundamental party tactics.
Healers
The monsters will often try to outflank the front line to get at the party's monks. Healers are a dominant factor in this game; so much so that the designers incorporated it into the mobs' AI. At higher levels of intense combat, your monk isn't even watching the screen during combat. Honestly. Attention is focussed on the health bars. Protect your monk and your monk will protect you.
Similarly, the key to winning most battles against mob hordes is to identify the healers and deal with them first. Default top priority. More than one healer in a mob horde is a true and profound bitch to deal with.

The Radar is Your Friend
The radar provides you with lots of cool info:
(1)The monsters range of perception (that circle around you) is an invaluable tool for skirting combats. It is not always a good idea to fight and that circle can really help keep you alive.
(2)You can draw right on the radar sending potentially useful, comical or deadly information to your in-party allies.
(3) You can click on the radar to ping a location or target. Your allies will see this and get a pleasant little "ping" noise too, which you can wield to irritating effct if you are so inclined.

Number of attacks wins
Mobs attack in hordes, in an attempt to overwhelm your party with sheer numbers. Focussing attacks on called targets reduces number of attackers in a systematic way. In a similar vein, when preparing for a combat, always try to lure a few targets at a time, instead of taking on the hwole mass at once. The latter is a recipe for failure and death. Rangers (for luring)and eleentalists (for mass softening up) make the best initial attackers.

Mob engagement
Once engaged in melee with a mob, don't bother trying to run. They are as fast as you most of the time and can attack you from behind on the run. Trust me; bitter experience on this one. An interesting offshoot of this make speed enhancements very useful. Melee types should have one movement speed enhancement loaded at all times, in order to quickly close. No, it won't do damage or heal you, but it helps freeze the opponents and gets your weapon where it can do its good work. Freezing opponent has two good effects. It keeps the baddies away from your more delicate allies and gives your casters a stationary target for spells that need them to be stationary (like fire storm). Also, if the monster runs, you can ankle-bite them too.

Ranged Non-Line of Sight Skills
It's a good idea to have one of these loaded. Sometimes the mobs will mindlessly stand there and try to attack your through barriers, to comical effect. Might as well take advantage of that tendency by using abilities that do not require line of sight and have range. The spell-casting professions are really good for this.

Know Thy Allies
Kowing what yor allies can and cannot do helps make correct strategic decisions. The best example, again, is the monk-warrior tension arising from energy regen (monk) and adrenaline (warrior).

Combat Prep
Good party players become familiar with their allies's pre-combat prep routines. Rangers have spirits and traps, elementalist have enchantments that regain energy of life quickly as do mesmers. Healers can place enchantments on the warriors that help them and others.

For example: Allow me to introduce you to Healing Seed. It is one of the most remarkable spells a healer has.

"For 10 seconds, whenever target other ally takes damage, that ally and all adjacent allies, gain X health." When playing a monk I always have it loaded to cast on the warrior who likes to get in there and mix it up. This is another reason to have the melee types all going after the same target - they will be adjacent and that means healing on hits for them all. But...Healing Seed is best cast immediately before or just into engagement (for obvious reasons).

Ally - People in your party including you.
Other Ally - People in your party who are not you.

Some more emotes
/drums /excited /flex /flute /guitar /highfive /paper /rock /scare /scissors /violin
Oh, and here's a cute one: /deaths

Hope some of this helps.

Edited by - dglas on 08/25/2006 11:13:26
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  11:21:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
Guild Wars is a game that firmly encourages team play. In fact it is necessary to advance beyond the mid-game. Yes, there are NPC henchmen, but you'll soon learn to despise their AI, and soon, that cute after the combat celebratory fireworks by Orion will grate on you as wasted damage potential.

To this end there are certain standards of behaviour are generally recognized as beneficial.

(1) Don't quit on your allies. Never. Not ever. Yes, you can port out of a mission or just drop from the game. Yes, you may even feel like doing so, but don't. Nothing makes friends like dealing with a half-hour or more mission that cannot be completed because some temperamental little SOB decided to abandon his/her allies. Your reputation WILL precede you. You WILL need your good allies later.

(2) Be a team player and encourage teamwork. Note the strategies and tactics other players use and incorporate them in your own. Remember always that other characters may have abilities that can help with different situations. Did you know, for example, that only Necromancers can teleport in GW?

(3) Don't quit on your allies. No, nay, never. Not ever!

(4) Do not rush immediately into the next combat. I go over this time and again. Most character types need recovery time, not just for energy and life, but because skills take time to reset too, especially the big, flashy, damage dealing ones. So does Healing Seed.

(5) Don't quit on your allies. Never, never, never!

(6) Let others be the star. It's not an ego contest; it's a co-op exercise. Let the ranger draw targets for you. Let the elementalist rain scrumdillyicious, fiery death on the baddies before you engage. If you have a minion necro in your party, leave the corpses for them. Number of attacks wins and six (or more) more allies can turn the tide. Offshoot of this is, be prepared to specialize - I mean extreme specialize. Giving the mesmer first crack at a healer can really shorten duration of a combat. it's not, and cannot be, just about you.

(7) Don't quit on your allies. This is griefing behaviour.

(8) Compliment people on their play, especially if they do something particularly good or effective, or save your hide. A quick "thx" will make friends and influence people. An interesting thing about MMORPGs. Many people disdain the poor behaviour of people in these games, but few recognize that many players actually like to help others. The latter are the players you want to be your allies and guild-mates. Learn to recognize them and encourage them. In party-chat is a very small investment to make for the benefits you will receive for having a good and reliable ally.

(9) Oh, and don't quit on your allies.

Edited by - dglas on 08/25/2006 12:00:15
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  15:04:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
dglas, eveything you write about team play and cooperation (aside from the differing character types) is perfectly applicable to City of Heroes and City of Villains as well.

It's extremely important to act cooperatively. As your comments make clear, both cowardice and glory-hounding heroism can equally destroy a team. And only the synergy of teammates working with "extreme" specialization can overpower one's opposition.

Wonderful playing guide, thanks!

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  15:51:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
Does best dark Sumerian Book o' the Dead voice:

Join ussss.... ;)

Edited by - dglas on 08/25/2006 15:52:08
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  18:50:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
More about Guild Wars.

Here is the primary innovation of Guild Wars - the thing that sets it apart from other MMORPGs out there. And I'm not talking about the fact that you don't have to pay usage fees, although that is more han enough in itself!

Outposts are common areas for all the players. Once you leave an outpost, however, the game creates a unique instance of the area you enter just for you and/or your party. This means that you are not in competition with any little griefer trying to ruin things for you (like Diablo2 say). Also, you cannot join someone in-mission.

Now the game dynamics are a little bit different because of this - as someone learned today. :) The game does not take experience points or gold away from you for character death. Instead, when you respawn, and for as long as you are in the mission (outside an outpost, I think) you will suffer a minus to all of your abilities including your health and energy. Completing the mission becaomes that much more difficult now because you are weakened.

At the same time, completely revitalizing your party by going back to the outpost destroys that instance, wiping out what you had accomplished to that point. When you enter the area again, the game creates another unique instance for you, completely restocked and ready to heap humiliation and embarrassment upon you again in front of your teammates. How good is that?

This is a departures from the regular RPG death penalties and, I think, rather ingenious. It means that lag is significantly reduced as you are not sharing adventure areas with bilyuns and bilyuns of leet-boys calling each other childish names. And yes, the minuses are individually applied, so if Orion dies thrice or so, even if you ressurect the little snot, he is significantly weakened and will die more efficiently in the next combat, even if you are sitting at a nice, hefty plus for your success. No more after the fact victory celebrations for you!

Lemme tell you, you haven't lived until you are at -60% effectiveness and really have to surrender, in frustration, because making headway is impossible. The possibility of failure exists and it is ugly. But, of course, the possibility of loss is critical for any game.

Edited by - dglas on 08/25/2006 18:54:03
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  18:52:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dglas

Does best dark Sumerian Book o' the Dead voice:

Join ussss.... ;)

TY, but I've got a real love for my Supervillain Group (Guild or Clan) on CoV. On our server, out of hundreds of groups, it's the third-rated, rapidly closing on the second, and that includes CoH groups as well. And I have a ton of playing time invested in several of my toons.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.