New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  07:43:55  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This article is very interesting. The photos resulting from the study are coming out in the peer-reviewed journal, Nature soon.
quote:

By MATT CRENSON
Google sponsored links
Paleontology News - Technique gives scientists closer look at fossils.

Paleontologists have created detailed three-dimensional images of evolution's first multicellular creatures in their embryonic stages, some so detailed that they reveal more about the development of long-extinct creatures than scientists know about their modern counterparts.

A team of Chinese, Swedish, Swiss and British scientists repeatedly scanned tiny balls of fossilized cells with powerful X-rays and then used a computer to assemble the views into microscopic CT scans.

Read on; it's amazing! Some early species of arthropod grew by developing new segments in the middle of the animal instead of at the rear end. Or having the full compliment to start with.

I mean, isn't it just too fantastic what computers can do? Aren't we really glad that God created them? Just like it created them li'l ol' worms? I must inform Ken Ham of this, at once! He will be ever so thrilled! Why, he could get so excited that it might start his brain functions working again and they could remove the feeding tube.

Damn, but I'm in a foul mood today.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  13:43:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Those are penis worms, filthy. Penis worms, fergodssake! Reading that name the other evening almost made me check my own parts, until I discovered that these apparently aren't some kind of parasites.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  15:42:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Those are penis worms, filthy. Penis worms, fergodssake! Reading that name the other evening almost made me check my own parts, until I discovered that these apparently aren't some kind of parasites.

The candiru:
quote:
While it is been written that this fish enters the urethra of human bathers (one article - Lins, Journal of Urology, 1945) claims a U.S. navy surgeon named Charles Ammerman operated on three candirú victims, in one case slicing into the bladder to extract the fish. Now, it is certain it does based on a recent report of a human having urinated while in the water and the Candirú entered through his penis opening. The catfish had to be surgically removed at a hospital in Manaus. The disbelieving urologist (Dr.Anoar Samad) who performed the operation was not certain at first the fish was in the urethral tract but x-rays proved it was in there stuck. (Information verified by Dr. Paulo Petry, Bio-Amazonia Conservation). The Candirú is considered by some to be the only known vertebrate to parasitism human beings, however that is an erroneous postulation. Truth is the fish enters humans more by accident than design, fortunately it is rare occurrence they enter human bodies! Schultz (Piranhas - Fact and Fiction, 1964 and Myers, 1977 Piranha Book) related some interesting stories of this fish. One in particular having to do with Candirú being found in drowned bodies of mammals. Schultz states Candirú "can hollow out the entire body and when these mammals are pulled to shore, the Candirú fall out!" He also related a local belief that "Candirú would follow the stream of urine of a person standing on the banks of a stream, to get into the urinary tract!" Of course that is not true.

Warned ya that I was feelin' evil…

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  16:58:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Now, I really don't care for those candirú fish! I know, as a tree-hugging lover of nature I should not say this, but they are welcome to go over the edge to extinction for all I care. I'd even give 'em a nudge, very, very carefully. ("Be verwy, verwy quiet. I'm hunting candiwú.")

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.