New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  23:04:43  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
My daughter came over this evening to take me to Oliver Stone's new movie, "World Trade Center." Some brief impressions:

Oliver Stone regularly makes movies with heavy doses of paranoid conspiracy theory content. "World Trade Center" is a remarkable exception. Stone has made a movie without politics or speculation thrown in. This is a powerfully moving true story of two men, John McLoughlin and Will Jimeno (played by Nicolas Cage and Michael Pena), both Port Authority cops, and how they and their families coped when the men were trapped in the rubble of the collapsed towers.

The plot itself is really too simple to recount here, rather than too complex.

The courage of all those heroes who rushed into harm's away to save lives when everyone else was running in the opposite direction is shown in subtle but viscerally moving scenes. We see a lot more of the faces of the Port Authority cops than we see of the Towers themselves. And those faces tell us plenty. They show terribly frightened men stopping to assess the in-assessable, before rushing into danger despite their fears.

We never see the first plane crash, but we see its shadow. Stone has been brilliant not only in what he shows, but in what he does not show. The THX soundtrack add considerably to many scenes, as when the men are in a basement, gathering themselves and their equipment with the intention of ascending a tower to evacuate people. The horrific sounds of crashing debris all by itself will keep you on the edge of your seats.

There is great acting throughout. One can sense that everyone involved in making this film wanted it to be as accurate as possible. There was so much real drama in the story of McLoughlin and Jimeno that no exaggeration in the telling could possibly have improved its quality as drama.

"World Trade Center" is not about terrorists, it's about heroes. This movie is not Too Soon. It's barely in time.

[Edit to correct "terrible frightened men" to "terribly frightened men."]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/30/2006 03:51:52

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  13:17:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Good stuff. It's amazing what people can endure, and what they'll do to help each other.

It was also a reminder to me of how much people loved that kind of destruction, and wanted to visit that kind of destruction on the people of Afghanistan and Iraq. Not to mention the continuation of a failed economic system that ensure many deaths in Louisiana and many other places.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 08/13/2006 13:19:57
Go to Top of Page

Cookie Parker

17 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  03:35:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cookie Parker a Private Message
I, too, am amazed at how rescue people run into buildings...but maybe from the information they had on the World Trade Centers, they knew there was no way that the buildings would fall.....

Blaise Pascal:

To deny, to believe, and to doubt absolutely -- this is for man what running is for a horse.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.