General Skepticism
 The Maine Mutant
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roddy

Panama
48 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  02:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Roddy's Homepage Send Roddy a Private Message
A dog was hit by a car while chasing a cat. This happened in Maine. The next day, someone found the dog dead by the side of the road.

But it's kind of purple, and it doesn't look like a typical dog.
Area residents begin to believe this is a wolf-dog crossbreed, or a goat-dog crossbreed that had mauled and killed dogs through the years, and is also the subject of many legends that have been around for generations about an evil dog that smells really bad.

Some pictures of the animal are in my webpage http://www.twismor.com/August06/wolf_debate.htm

You can find the same pictures elsewhere, but nobody ever visits my webpage, so I decided to put them there.

I'm convinced that animal is a type of wild dog. Not a monster, or a mutant, or a crossbreed.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  03:22:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Okay, the article includes what appears to me to be two undoctored photos of a normal (albeit dead) dog and photos of four "professional" types (identified as a psychiatrist, a psychic, a philosopher, and a pastor) supposedly involved in an argument about the dog. So why do the photos of the men all resemble mug shots of killer wino goat molesters? And why are at least two of the photos also apparently retouched using Photoshop?

Nice gag article. I gotta admit, the dialogue, and the photos of the men, are humorous.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Roddy

Panama
48 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  04:50:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Roddy's Homepage Send Roddy a Private Message
The dog pics are real. But that doesn't stop people in Maine from thinking it is a monster. A cross-breed of some kind.

It is a fact that DNA samples and organs from the dog were taken for analysis. However a cryptozoologist (a science that studies weird creatures) already said this is a dog.

As for the men's pics, well, I used photoshop to alter real mug pics by blending them with pics of baseball players, creating pictures that are unique and also funny looking.

Go to Top of Page

Roddy

Panama
48 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  04:55:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Roddy's Homepage Send Roddy a Private Message
You aren't the only one who thinks that's an albeit dog: http://www.universalhub.com/node/5352
Go to Top of Page

Roddy

Panama
48 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  05:16:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Roddy's Homepage Send Roddy a Private Message
Based on this article: http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2006/08/16/residents_wonder_if_dead_animal_is_legendary_mystery_beast/

we can conclude there's a mystery beast in the area, and people want it to die so badly, they'll think any animal that is dead is actually the monster.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  14:11:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Nice work, Roddy. Thanks for the further links too. Not living near Maine, I'd assumed you'd photographed a dead dog, then made up the whole story, "monster" rumors and all. In context with the monster hysteria, your Web page makes a lot more sense to me now. You did a fine job with the imaginary argument.

A wolf-dog or coyote-dog hybrid would not be surprising, though the dead animal doesn't look like one. A feral, or free-ranging domestic, dog would fit the bill better. Looks like the real mystery beast is probably happy now that some other poor sap's taken the rap.

Mugshots combined with baseball players? Some kind of attempt to create a better looking player? Or a hybrid umpire-killing super-player, combining the murderous rage of Ty Cobb with the base-stealing talents of a real thief? The results were funny and clever. Those guys are creepy!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  17:06:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The distance shot looks like a plain poor old dead dog. The close up has resemblance to a gorilla face but upon closer exam you can see it is a mere illusion because the dog's snout is somewhat obscured by the grass. If someone photoshopped the grass out of the picture I would bet you the close up would also look like a poor old dead dog.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.