Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  21:43:16  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This just in. (Heard it first from an Aussie friend.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/03/2006 21:51:11

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  21:53:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Wow...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  22:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
It appeared that he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest, Queensland Police Inspector Russell Rhodes said.

Wow is right...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  22:21:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Ouch. This piece reports,
Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray...
Wikipedia is saying,
...Steve Irwin was reported killed by a stingray barb that pierced his chest...
I'm sure it'll take some time to find out whether the "heart" thing is accurate.

Well, how he bought it is unimportant, really.

Even though Irwin was widely ridiculed for his style (I asked an Australian acquaintance about him, who said he thought Irwin behaved like an idiot), it's sad to see another popularizer of science bite the dust. Sure, the guy was no Attenborough, and the incident with his kid wasn't particularly wise (especially from a PR point-of-view), but he was still out there, in public, trying to get people interested.

So, my hat's off to Steve Irwin. The world is worse off with him gone.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  22:54:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The Wikipedia article about Irwin has already been changed to reflect more uncertainty about his death. Give it a few weeks, and try again.

Irwin's website is unresponsive, probably due to a flood of visitors.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  23:04:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
His website still responds to pings, so I would agree Dave, it looks like a flood of visitors.

At least he lived his life to the fullest. Not many people say they did things like he did.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  23:11:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
While I wasn't a particularly huge fan of his style, it is very difficult to criticise his enthusiasm and passion for what he did. As an Australian I find some of his show a bit cringe-worthy, but not because of the animals. However, he did a damn good job of raising awareness and/or interest in wildlife. Crikey indeed.

It's a telling indicator of the world we live in (or at least the media forms that I frequent) that my initial reaction to the first report of this (not at SFN) was "hoax". Sadly, this was not to be the case.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  23:38:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Allow me to offer a word to describe this event:

INEVITABLE

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  00:22:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
That is really too bad. I always feel for the kids who will miss their dad when this kind of thing happens.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  00:49:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
How the hell do you get hit in the chest by a stingray?! I wonder what species it was and how he came upon it.

Irwin was far too reckless, but even so...... that's weird.

In the chest? Ye gods! The vast majority of stingray injuries, including one of my own, are in the foot or lower leg. He must have been 'playing' with it. And it must have been a pretty big one to have penetrated clear to the heart.

I and many others in the hot herp community actively disliked him. Although highly skilled and knowledgeable, he acted like an idiot and that reflected upon the rest of us. Never the less, this is a great loss to all who love wildlife.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cookie Parker

17 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  05:04:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cookie Parker a Private Message
Oh, how sad. And you're right...he did live his life to the fullest...we all go, it 's just sad to see someone go so early....good travels Crocodile Hunter....go travels...

Blaise Pascal:

To deny, to believe, and to doubt absolutely -- this is for man what running is for a horse.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  20:13:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

How the hell do you get hit in the chest by a stingray?! I wonder what species it was and how he came upon it.

Irwin was far too reckless, but even so...... that's weird.

In the chest? Ye gods! The vast majority of stingray injuries, including one of my own, are in the foot or lower leg. He must have been 'playing' with it. And it must have been a pretty big one to have penetrated clear to the heart.

I and many others in the hot herp community actively disliked him. Although highly skilled and knowledgeable, he acted like an idiot and that reflected upon the rest of us. Never the less, this is a great loss to all who love wildlife.

When you are swimming next to it while filming a documentary about the dangerous critters around the Great Barrier Reef and bump into it.

My condolences go out to Terri, his wife and their two children, but this was a real Roy Horn white tiger moment.

It was a freakish way to die, but quick. Always thought the croc would get him. The world has lost a real zoologist and entertainer. I place the zoology first because through his works, it was obvious that he did.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  20:32:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Freak accident unrelated to the filming. He happened to swim over it and startle it. Usually it would have just been a painful injury. They keep saying it hit his heart but it could have hit his aorta or some other large vessel as well.

A lot of people are unfairly IMO making the same comment as you Dude. A lot of his death defying stuff was fake. It was hype for the show. I posted a bit on JREF about the causes of accidental death and we all take greater risks daily just getting in the car.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  21:01:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Freak accident unrelated to the filming. He happened to swim over it and startle it. Usually it would have just been a painful injury. They keep saying it hit his heart but it could have hit his aorta or some other large vessel as well.

A lot of people are unfairly IMO making the same comment as you Dude. A lot of his death defying stuff was fake. It was hype for the show. I posted a bit on JREF about the causes of accidental death and we all take greater risks daily just getting in the car.

Actually, it seems he was filming at the time, and the accident itself was even caught on film!
quote:

. . .

Wildlife documentary maker Ben Cropp, citing a colleague who saw footage of the attack, told Time.com that Irwin had accidentally boxed the stingray in. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest," said Cropp. "It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger." (Read the TIME.com obituary.external link)

Irwin was pulled from the water by a cameraman and boat crewman. He died as he was being rushed to a nearby island for emergency treatment. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

. . .

[Edited to add my emphasis to the quote, and to add substantive words to my comment.]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/04/2006 21:10:34
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  21:39:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
A lot of people are unfairly IMO making the same comment as you Dude.

Unfairly?

Give me a fucking break.

You grab a venomous snake enough times, and you will get bit.

You stalk up to large predators and eventually one of them is going to hurt you.

You jump in the water with alligators and eventually one of them is going to kill you.

His style of interaction with wild animals was for the shock value. It made him a successful entertainer. It was also very risky. Yeah, a lot of it was staged. Which is the only reason he lived to see 44, imo. Alot of it was also him grabbing the bull by the horns, so to speak. (or the snake by the tail, or the aligator by the tail, etc)

Does that mean I don't admire the work he did for conservation? Hell no. I also think it sucks that he died. I liked him, despite my disagreement with his physical interation with dangerous wild animals, and the world has lost an imortant advocate for conservation efforts.

But my criticism isn't unfair.

To compare Irwin's style of interaction to the risk of driving a car is idiotic.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 09/04/2006 21:44:09
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  22:06:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Perhaps you could have said all that instead of just "INEVITABLE" which made it sound like you were waiting for it to happen...

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 09/04/2006 22:07:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds.