Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  04:42:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

[quote]Originally posted by GK Paul

[quote]Originally posted by pleco

God is a word made up by humans. And?

test

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  04:44:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by GK Paul

[quote]Originally posted by pleco

God is a word made up by humans. And?

test

I can't delete this post for some reason.

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  05:54:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
I said that primordial energy is just a word created by a scientist and Mr. Pleco said God is a word created by Humans... Yes Mr. Pleco is right to pluralize Humans. Because it seems like almost every culture in the history of the world has independently come to the conclusion that a God or gods exists.

I believe the reason for this is that there is also a "feeling knowledge and according to Mr. Carl Jung this is just as important and relevant as thinking knowledge. Mr. Jung also mentions inuitive knowledge... Most of the people in these forums concentrate only on thinking knowledge. And I believe that a person will never be able to understand Christianity if they are just fixated in the thinking knowledge mode.

Christianity deals with all modes of knowledge; Thinking (Laws and Commandments), Feelig (love), Intuitive (faith and hope).

Nobody understood the various modes of knowledge and awarensss better than the scientist and psychologist Mr. Jung; and after a lifetime of scientific study he came to a belief in Christianity.

edited for grammar.

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 11/11/2006 03:49:22
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  05:56:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:

I said that primordial energy is just a word created by a scientist and Mr. Pleco said God is a word created by Humans... Yes Mr. Pleco was right to pluralize Humans. Because it seems like almost every culture in the history of the world has independently come to the conclusion that a God or gods exists.

I believe the reason for this is that there is also a "feeling knowledge and according to Mr. Carl Jung this is just as important and relevant as thinking knowledge. Mr. Jung also mentions inuitive knowledge... Most of the people in these forums concentrate only on thinking knowledge. And I believe that a person will never be able to understand Christianity if they are just fixated in the thinking knowledge mode.

Christianity deals with all modes of knowledge; Thinking (Laws and Commandments), Feelig (love), Intuitive (faith and hope).

Nobody understood the various modes of knowledge and awarensss better than the scientist and psychologist Mr. Jung; and after a lifetime of scientific study he came to a belief in Christianity.

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  06:08:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
This is to inform anyone interested that the system will not allow me to edit my replies for some reason. Also I cannot delete the above duplicated messages.

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  06:24:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

I said that primordial energy is just a word created by a scientist and Mr. Pleco said God is a word created by Humans... Yes Mr. Pleco are right to pluralize Humans. Because it seems like almost every culture in the history of the world has independently come to the conclusion that a God or gods exists.

Almost every culture came to the conclusion that the earth was flat too.

Before humans acquired enough knowledge about the world in which they lived, when something happened they couldn't explain (for example, lightning), they had to try. The trying part is hardwired, in my opinion.

quote:

Too bad in your religion that those of us who don't understand will burn in eternal hell fire.

Jung had some important ideas, but you putting him on some kind of pedestal in starting to sound like an appeal to authority.

Oh, and calling Jung a "scientist" is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? Especially since he had interests in alchemy and astrology and other mystical ideas like "the collective unconscious."

Plus, if you could provide reference that Jung was a Christian, I would like to see it.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  06:46:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

I said that primordial energy is just a word created by a scientist and Mr. Pleco said God is a word created by Humans... Yes Mr. Pleco are right to pluralize Humans. Because it seems like almost every culture in the history of the world has independently come to the conclusion that a God or gods exists.

So you're proposing there's a god because it's a popular idea?

And then you say all civilizations have come to the conclusion God(s) exist, which is quite true, but doesn't mean it's right. If you were born in Syria, I'd say you'd probably believe Christianity is wrong, and Islam is right, because that's the popular thing over there. Would that make either of them any better/any truer than the other?

Who is right, then? The Vedas or the Bible? And why one is better than any other - because some Jew was born a long time ago and made an impression on a few highly impressionable people, who wrote a book, which by chance impressed some very important people, which made it highly popular (not to mention a great way to control the masses, viz Catholic Church throughout the centuries)? Sure, there are great things written there - but the same damn things appear in basically every single religion.

Or, what about Buddhism, that preaches virtually the same thing (I personally think it's better, but that's my personal opinion - refer to my signature) with the convenience of having no god to believe and grovel before at all? Why is it any worse - or better - than any other?

I don't know Jung enough to comment on him; but seriously man, reality isn't a popularity contest - and I choose reality. If there's a god who takes offense of me, so be it. I'd rather be intellectually honest with myself, than to be a hypocrite and believe in something out of fear/because everybody does.

[/rant]

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 10/09/2006 06:48:28
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  06:53:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

This is to inform anyone interested that the system will not allow me to edit my replies for some reason. Also I cannot delete the above duplicated messages.
Are you actually logged in? Does your name appear in the upper-right corner?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  07:24:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:

Almost every culture came to the conclusion that the earth was flat too.

Before humans acquired enough knowledge about the world in which they lived, when something happened they couldn't explain (for example, lightning), they had to try. The trying part is hardwired, in my opinion.

quote:

Too bad in your religion that those of us who don't understand will burn in eternal hell fire.

Jung had some important ideas, but you putting him on some kind of pedestal in starting to sound like an appeal to authority.

Oh, and calling Jung a "scientist" is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? Especially since he had interests in alchemy and astrology and other mystical ideas like "the collective unconscious."

Plus, if you could provide reference that Jung was a Christian, I would like to see it.

There is a difference between not understanding a law of God and rebelling against a law of God. I have a feeling God is smart enough to tell the difference. Nowhere does it say you are going to hell for not understanding something.

I guess Isaac Newton wasn't a real scientist also since he showed an interest in astrology and alchemy.

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  08:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
There is a difference between not understanding a law of God and rebelling against a law of God. I have a feeling God is smart enough to tell the difference. Nowhere does it say you are going to hell for not understanding something.

Oh, yes it does.

quote:
I guess Isaac Newton wasn't a real scientist also since he showed an interest in astrology and alchemy.

From wiki:

"He also was a devout Christian, studied the Bible daily and wrote more on religion than on natural science."

"Despite this renown in mainstream science, Newton spent much of his time working on alchemy rather than physics, writing considerably more papers on the former than the latter."

"Newton's interest in alchemy cannot be isolated from his contributions to science.[6] (This was at a time when there was no clear distinction between alchemy and science.)"

By modern standards, Newton's dabbling in occult studies, Christian apolocalypse, numerology, astrology, and alchemy would be considered crack-pot. The work that he did do that is truly scientific is what he is remembered for. The rest was and is garbage, though interesting historically. Science uses what is good, and gets rid of the chaff.

We must take into account the time and knowledge that was present during Newton's life. Just like we do when we read the Bible...those bronze age preists had no idea about how the world really works, so they invented stories to attempt to explain them.

Jung was alive during the modern scientific era, and has no excuse for his use of alchemy or astrology. Jung made significant contributions to psycology, but his field of work is gnerally not considered "scientific". I would not call Jung a scientist.

I guess I won't get that citation for Jung's christianity? Nor a response to how popular ideas aren't always correct?

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 10/09/2006 08:10:52
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  08:16:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
Also it was mentioned that early cultures believed the earth was flat. This might be true, but that was based solely on observation. A God can not be seen and yet almost every culture has independently come to the conclusion that the divine exists. If you believe in feeling knowledge or intuitive knowledge than the fact that almost all cultures have come to the belief in the divine (independently, and with no observation) than this is evidence for the truth of God's existence.

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  08:34:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

Also it was mentioned that early cultures believed the earth was flat. This might be true, but that was based solely on observation. A God can not be seen and yet almost every culture has independently come to the conclusion that the divine exists. If you believe in feeling knowledge or intuitive knowledge than the fact that almost all cultures have come to the belief in the divine (independently, and with no observation) than this is evidence for the truth of God's existence.

A god cannot be seen? You see the "effects of god": those events that couldn't be explained.

That is not evidence for a god's existence. It is evidence that humans used simular methods to account for the unexplainable, because all humans are related due to their evolutionary background.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  08:40:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul...

You have that backwards. Your god is only one of thousands (actually millions) which humans have invented throughout our existence to fill in the spaces between what was observed and understood, and those things which were mysteries to them. Gods having been invented by nearly all cultures is evidence to support the notion that there have been mysteries and unknowns in nearly all cultures, a not so surprising notion. That is quite the opposite of your claim that a seemingly universal belief in multitudes of various gods is any sort of evidence for your god's existence.

Oh, and some of us are still wondering why you continue to ignore the issue of your lying. In case you've forgotten, let me refresh your memory...
Do you have some kind of known reading disability? Is English not your first language? Do you suffer from a mental illness which might prevent you from rationally discussing the topics of this conversation? Are you just a troll intentionally saying stupid sounding things and intentionally ignoring issues when others ask you to address them? Or, as has been suggested before and the option which appears most likely to be correct, do you simply lack the moral courage and integrity to engage in an honest discussion about your superstitious beliefs?

And, if your apparent lack of ability to communicate effectively is just the result of your being a liar, how do you make it right in your mind that you must resort to such dishonesty in order to support your superstition? Does your terrorist god approve of you lying to defend its existence? Is there somewhere in your book of fables where it says it's okay for you to knowingly bear false witness?
How about you answer the questions posed above, then we can all have a better idea as to how we might be able to communicate with you more effectively.
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  08:58:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
To Mr. Pleco, the Bible verse 1 Corinthians chapter 15 verse 47 is on Carl Jung's tombstone. "The first Adam, made of earth, came from the earth; the second Adam came from heaven." Remember this is the man who invented the words introversion and extroversion.

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  09:19:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
To Mr. Gee Mack. Your post was very rude. If you think I'm lying than list the facts I stated that are untrue. But if you are rude in any way I'm probably not going to respond.

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.