Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  09:38:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Oh, didn't you know. Making the same arguments over and over, even after they have clearly been defeated, is how the creationist further there cause.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  09:56:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

Oh, didn't you know. Making the same arguments over and over, even after they have clearly been defeated, is how the creationist further there cause.

Agreed. Sincerely repeating nonsense, misrepresentation, and out right lies does seem to work in churches.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  04:21:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
To Mr. GeeMack,

Please "list" all the lies I've made and the times that I've been rude. Making accusations is one thing. Backing them up is another.

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  04:33:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

To Mr. GeeMack,

Please "list" all the lies I've made and the times that I've been rude. Making accusations is one thing. Backing them up is another.
GeeMack has already noted several examples of where he feels that you are dishonest and/or rude. Why should he have to keep track of every time you misbehave?
Grow up!
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  05:02:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Also it was mentioned that early cultures believed the earth was flat. This might be true, but that was based solely on observation. A God can not be seen and yet almost every culture has independently come to the conclusion that the divine exists.

So if your point is that the early cultures had every reason to believe the Earth was flat and even now have No reason to believe in God, I agree totally.

Neuroscience has shown that the god delusion is a product of the human brain (and all but a few humans have one of those) so it is expected to be in all cultures and also expected to be a product of culture. Guess what. It is. So it fits the theory that it is a constuct of the mind. In fact, here is a brief synopsis of how it works.

The human brain is designed to recognize humans as human and not the same as other objects (we also recognize apes as humans in this sense as well). When this part of the brain is over active a person may report that they see personhood in objects or plants (like a tree). Many chemicals can do this (much like the chemicals that many cultures used in order to obtain oneness with the universe or god).

Even without any chemical stimulus, stress can manifest the same symptoms. In any case the primary function of the PFC (Pre Frontal Cortext) is pattern recognition and when it recieves signals from the right temporal lobe (the lobe in which that area of personhood is located). It will try and figure out the pattern. If the sun moves something must move it (adding personhood) you get the sun god. Get it?

Do not let my chemical induction comments confuse you. There does not need to be any over acting of this part to generate that feeling of personhood. It is the normal fuction of the brain.

Actually not every one believed the earth was flat. In the 10th century BC, Job (Job 26:7) said God hung the earth on nothing and in Isaiah 40:22 he said God sat upon the circle of the earth.

------
Something can not come from Nothing.

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  05:11:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Apprently not all christians like Jung:

Link

Seems Jung had interesting ideas about Christianity:

quote:
In our modern day, if we look at Christ as a historical figure, he is dead to us. But if we see him as the manifestation of the higher Self, the God-in-Us, then he can still speak to us about love, compassion, sacrifice, rising above it all and all sorts of other magnificent human experiences.

Very "new agey". I can see why conservative chrisitans would not like Jung at all.

I don't have any problem with Jung. He was a world famous psychologist and if you are to believe his tombstone he believed Christ (the second Adam) came from heaven.

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  05:13:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:

To Mr. GeeMack,

GeeMack has already noted several examples of where he feels that you are dishonest and/or rude. Why should he have to keep track of every time you misbehave?
Grow up!

list them, I challenge you to list them.

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  05:25:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Actually not every one believed the earth was flat. In the 10th century BC, Job (Job 26:7) said God hung the earth on nothing and in Isaiah 40:22 he said God sat upon the circle of the earth.

Wow, you want to get into this now?

A circle is a 2 dimensional flat object. So god sat upon a flat round earth. Of course, this makes perfect sense, since the writers had not traveled very far. Just like their attempt at explaining other things, like Genesis.

I eagerly anticipate you pulling more weak apologetic attempts at saying the bible says the earth is 3 dimensional sphere like object. Or that the bible says the earth revolves around the sun, when for thousands of years everyone believed the opposite and used the bible as their "scientific" reference (small joke.)

I have had great fun in the past with these apologetics, and I've heard it all before.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 10/12/2006 05:26:38
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  05:28:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
I don't have any problem with Jung. He was a world famous psychologist and if you are to believe his tombstone he believed Christ (the second Adam) came from heaven.

I think that the bible quote needs to be read a bit deeper than what you want to read. But whatever, it doesn't really matter if Jung was a christian or not. Charles Darwin was a christian too.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  05:30:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

And I challenge you to stop lying.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  06:24:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:

And I challenge you to stop lying.

list the lies. You know 1) 2) 3). A lot of people in this forum are always asking for evidence and proof but they don't want to supply any when you ask them. List Them.

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  06:49:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

list the lies. You know 1) 2) 3). A lot of people in this forum are always asking for evidence and proof but they don't want to supply any when you ask them. List Them.
stop lying. You know "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor".
Again GeeMack has already noted several examples of where he feels that you are dishonest and/or rude. Address those and stop lying from now on!

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  07:00:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:

quote:

To Siberia you are right to say truth or reality is not a popularity contest.

But if you knew nothing about science and you were told 97 scientists believe smoking causes lung cancer and 3 scientists believe it doesn't. Wouldn't you agree that it is more logical for "you" to believe that smoking does cause cigarette cancer.

Let's suppose 97 human cultures came to believe in the divine and 3 cultures didn't. Does that fact increase or decrease the "likelihood" that the divine exist.

Neither. Did you know that about 1% of the smartest people on the planet have ANY supernatural beliefs? That supernatural beliefs in people are inversely proportional to their education. Doesn't that by your own logic mean that you should loose your supernatural beliefs?

I think you meant 1% of the smartest people dont't have any supernatural belief. Please correct me if you meant something else.

But if you meant the former than Isaac Newton, who one mathmetician called the greatest genius who ever lived would be the exception to your statement. Einstein said, according to the World book encyclopedia 2006, that without Newton's work my work would have been impossible. In other words no Newton no Einstein. Newton strongly believed in God and even attached his personal beliefs about God to the end of one of his scientific papers. I believe it was Principia.

You folks might not believe in God but Newton sure did and according to the wiki article about Newton's religious beliefs he used the scientific method to come to his belief in God.

---------
Something cannot come from nothing. K. Tanaka Geologist

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  07:18:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
You folks might not believe in God but Newton sure did and according to the wiki article about Newton's religious beliefs he used the scientific method to come to his belief in God.

So? Netwon believed in astrology and alchemy and the occult too. Anyway, that is an appeal to authority and it is noted as the logical fallacy that it is.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  07:30:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
GK Paul's LIES. Taken from merely six pages of one thread

1) Godless is a powerful book. Coulter really blasts everything from liberals to Darwin's theory. She calls it unproven "bogus" science and has a lot of information to back it up.

You were answered with:

2) Anyway I'm sure Coulter is not perfect but she does have a valid point that some liberals' belief system is like that of a church. And if their beliefs are similiar in structure to a church, so what.

An absolute LIE that you have failed to support

3) liberals are encouraged to tithe to the national teachers union.

Dave W destroyed this LIE with:

Is it possible for people who aren't members of a union to give money to that union? Surely you mean the National Education Association, anyway - and I can't find a "donate" link on their website, nor can I join the NEA because I'm not a professional educator. How would I "tithe" to the NEA even if I were what Coulter calls a "liberal?"

4) Coulter states that a liberal sacrament is abortion

Another LIE. You haven't named a single "liberal" who believes this.

5) In response to Dr. Mabuse and Dave W. questions, Coutler states on page 17 and 18 that Rep. Nancy Pelosi told Democrats they should vote against the Rebublican budget as "an act of worship". Source Joseph Laconte, New York Times, Jan 2 2006.

Oh gosh. Another LIE.

Several people clearly pointed out how false this was. You get off your lazy ass and check it out yourself in your "Coulter's book Godless" thread

6) Coulter claims on page 20 that the organization NARAL Pro Choice America purpose is to keep abortion legal. She says the webpage won't use the word abortion and she can't find out what NARAL stands for. I checked the webpage myself and can't find the word abortion.

Another LIE, you little snot-nosed punk.

HalfMooner exposed it here:

Still, the word, "abortion" is used on the NARAL site, though not on the front page. Here's one example:

http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/news/press-releases/2006/pr06192006_scotus_ban.html

Then Dave W provided further proof of your gutless LYING:

I know others have already answered this, but using the search tool on the NARAL homepage, it's quite easy to find the word "abortion." And according to Google, the word appears on over 1,200 different pages within the NARAL website.

And then, if you go to their Learn About Us page, there's a link to a historical timeline, and the first event there is this:
1969 The National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL) is founded.

Then Dr. Mabuse provided this:

The first page links to two (albeit off site) articles, where the headline of the link itself includes the word 'abortion'.
The front-page has a menu, and under "Issues" as in "what issues are important to NARAL", they have a complete section devoted to "abortion".
http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/issues/abortion/

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abortion
While it's critical to promote policies that help prevent unintended pregnancies and make abortion less necessary, NARAL Pro-Choice America also fights to protect the right to safe, legal abortion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting how a little gutless turd like you dropped this LIE after you were exposed as a LIAR for Jesus.

Now, by this point, I've only gotten to page SIX of the first thread you've been involved in!! Page 6!!! Out of 15!!! You've been part of at least three of four threads running 15 pages long.

Here's what Dave W. had to say at this point:

Things GK Paul has failed to acknowledge:

• Coulter's many documented lies,

• Pelosi was talking about worshipping the Christian God, not liberalism,

• nobody considers Nina "BJ" Burleigh to be infallible,

• felatio isn't prayer,

• "Pro-Choice" activists use the word "abortion" often,

• Dembski was closely involved in Coulter's chapters on evolution,

• nobody can "tithe" to the NEA who isn't an educator, and

• abortion isn't a "sacrament."

OK, GK, I listed just a few of your lies. I remember many many more.

Now, don't be fucking coward, you punk.

I cherry-picked these...I could had 3 or 4 times more just in these 6 pages alone.

Yes, I'm being rude because you are a LIAR and a PUNK.

I listed your LIES. God is surely very unhappy with you.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds.