Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  09:15:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

quote:

Also it was mentioned that early cultures believed the earth was flat. This might be true, but that was based solely on observation. A God can not be seen and yet almost every culture has independently come to the conclusion that the divine exists.

So if your point is that the early cultures had every reason to believe the Earth was flat and even now have No reason to believe in God, I agree totally.

Neuroscience has shown that the god delusion is a product of the human brain (and all but a few humans have one of those) so it is expected to be in all cultures and also expected to be a product of culture. Guess what. It is. So it fits the theory that it is a constuct of the mind. In fact, here is a brief synopsis of how it works.

The human brain is designed to recognize humans as human and not the same as other objects (we also recognize apes as humans in this sense as well). When this part of the brain is over active a person may report that they see personhood in objects or plants (like a tree). Many chemicals can do this (much like the chemicals that many cultures used in order to obtain oneness with the universe or god).

Even without any chemical stimulus, stress can manifest the same symptoms. In any case the primary function of the PFC (Pre Frontal Cortext) is pattern recognition and when it recieves signals from the right temporal lobe (the lobe in which that area of personhood is located). It will try and figure out the pattern. If the sun moves something must move it (adding personhood) you get the sun god. Get it?

Do not let my chemical induction comments confuse you. There does not need to be any over acting of this part to generate that feeling of personhood. It is the normal fuction of the brain.

Actually not every one believed the earth was flat. In the 10th century BC, Job (Job 26:7) said God hung the earth on nothing and in Isaiah 40:22 he said God sat upon the circle of the earth.

------
Something can not come from Nothing.

Ok. Well the circle of the Earth thing has nothing to do with a round Earth. There are similar references in Babylon and Sumer. It was the circle of the firmament as in the sky, not the Earth that was circular. And also the other reference has nothing to do with a circle. Here is another verse from Isaiah:

Isaiah 11:12 reads:

And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth

Circles don't have corners. Even later:

Revelation 7:1 reads:

And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth...

In any case. If the Jews actually thought the Earth was round then they would have written it down explicitly. In any case, that is not the hinge of my argument sense there is evidence for a round Earth and still is No evidence for God.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  12:51:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
To Fripp, If you want to call my opinions in that other forum lies, I guess thats your right. I guess some people like reading my opinions because that forum has almost 4000 hits.

I am kind of curious though, why don't you send a check to the National Education Association and mark it with "donation" and let us know if they accept it or not. If they don't accept it come in and tell us and I'll apologise for putting in Coulter's statement.

--------
Something cannot come from nothing. K Tanaka, geologist

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 10/12/2006 12:59:03
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  12:59:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
An illustration of how stupid Coulter is. Coulter "I can't find out what NARAL stands for."

NARAL

NARAL, an organization whose acronym originally stood for the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws, has just changed its title for the third time.

Second name National Abortion Rights Action League

Third name National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League, although it didn't bother inserting a second "R."

Total search time 6 seconds.

- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  13:15:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
To Neurosis, OK I guess Job wasn't sure what the shape of the earth was when he said God hung it in empty space. Anyway the Good News Bible said He hung it in empty space. Also, even though I'm not a literalist I've always wondered why Moses(Genesis) thought creation occurred in stages.

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  13:17:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
You asked for a list of lies.

I gave you a list of your lies.

To deny them is yet another example of your lying.

You are a pathetic example of a Christian.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  14:07:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fripp

GK Paul's LIES. Taken from merely six pages of one thread

4) Coulter states that a liberal sacrament is abortion

Another LIE. You haven't named a single "liberal" who believes this.

Is that statement really a lie by GK Paul?
Coulter did state that liberal sacrament is abortion. It is when and if GK Paul states that Coulter is right that he adopts the claim that abortion is a sacrament. I don't recall his exact wording, and I don't have the time to look it up.

When GK Paul says that Coulter's book is powerful, he is more deluded than lying. The same goes for everything that refers to Coulter's statements. Believing in Coulter's lies does not automatically make him a lier until he express those opinions as his own.

quote:

6) Coulter claims on page 20 that the organization NARAL Pro Choice America purpose is to keep abortion legal. She says the web-page won't use the word abortion and she can't find out what NARAL stands for. I checked the webpage myself and can't find the word abortion.

Another LIE, you little snot-nosed punk.
It doesn't really make him a lier as much as computer/web-illiterate.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  14:07:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

To Neurosis, OK I guess Job wasn't sure what the shape of the earth was when he said God hung it in empty space. Anyway the Good News Bible said He hung it in empty space. Also, even though I'm not a literalist I've always wondered why Moses(Genesis) thought creation occurred in stages.

Space isn't empty unless you think the flat earth is surrounded by half-shells in which the sun, moon, and stars (no mention of planets, galaxies, etc.) are set in.

Yeah, and I was wondered why god would need to rest after doing anything, much less creating a non-descript small blue-green planet in the backwoods of your average galaxy.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  15:59:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

To Fripp, If you want to call my opinions in that other forum lies, I guess thats your right. I guess some people like reading my opinions because that forum has almost 4000 hits.

I am kind of curious though, why don't you send a check to the National Education Association and mark it with "donation" and let us know if they accept it or not. If they don't accept it come in and tell us and I'll apologise for putting in Coulter's statement.

--------
Something cannot come from nothing. K Tanaka, geologist

[My emphasis above.]

Oh, are we now seeing your true motivation? Could it be... let me see... Satanic pride?

If pride is your motivation for the display of willful ignorance, evasive sidestepping, and outright lying you have been giving, GK Paul, then it might deflate that sanctimonious ego of yours if you ever considered what a third-rate job of apologetics you've been doing here. It's just possible that all those readers are enjoying the sight of a hypocrite having his ass kicked.

So you must avoid that thought. But avoiding thoughts is what you've proved yourself best at, isn't it, GK?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  16:55:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:

I asked for a list of "my" lies, not something Coulter said.

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  17:13:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I asked for a list of "my" lies, not something Coulter said.

When you repeat them, they become your lies.

This may come as a shock to you, but you are responsible for the things that come out of your mouth (or keyboard). You repeated the things which Coulter said in a manner that made it explicitly clear that you agreed with them. You were confident enough of their truthfulness to repeat them as facts. You haven't, to my knowledge, ever apologized for or retracted any statement you've written, just simply gone on to something else.

That makes them your lies as well. You don't get to go around spreading falsehoods as facts and then shirk responsibility for them when they come back to bite you. You own those lies now. They're all yours.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/12/2006 17:15:04
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  17:28:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

[quote]
Oh, are we now seeing your true motivation? Could it be... let me see... Satanic pride?

Church Lady says: "Could it be..... SATAN!."

Oh, SNL you slay me.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Edited by - Neurosis on 10/12/2006 17:35:21
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  17:30:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
H. Humbert is right quoting someone to show a point is to imply that you agree with that statement.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  17:39:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
quote:
Actually not every one believed the earth was flat. In the 10th century BC, Job (Job 26:7) said God hung the earth on nothing and in Isaiah 40:22 he said God sat upon the circle of the earth.
How does this depict a round earth? I'm an art teacher, and when I say draw a “circle” they draw it flat on a page. When I say make a “sphere” they make it round like a planet.

quote:
But if you meant the former than Isaac Newton, who one mathmetician called the greatest genius who ever lived would be the exception to your statement. Einstein said, according to the World book encyclopedia 2006, that without Newton's work my work would have been impossible. In other words no Newton no Einstein. Newton strongly believed in God and even attached his personal beliefs about God to the end of one of his scientific papers. I believe it was Principia.
The logic in this paragraph is so bad it makes my teeth hurt. As someone else said, Newton also had a huge interest in alchemy – and yet no one takes alchemy seriously today. Should we just because Isaac Newton was a great scientist and Einstein was able to greatly build on Newton's discoveries? That's absurd; for one, alchemy isn't even in the same field as physics (even less so is religion), and for another, Newton, while a great scientist, was also a product of his time. Freud was a great psychologist for his time, but he was still wrong about a ton of stuff even in his field. Without Freud's work, many psychiatrists and psychologists who came after him wouldn't have made as much progress in the field. But that doesn't stop him from being wrong about the things he was wrong about. Sheesh, man, think before you type!

quote:
I guess some people like reading my opinions because that forum has almost 4000 hits.
And the movie Jackass made a ton of dough and now there's a sequel.

It's fun to watch people set their own balls on fire.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 10/12/2006 17:40:40
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  17:47:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
0n the topic of whether quoting Anne Coulter is lying or not - perhaps that question is not the point. Perhaps the bigger point is here communicating to GK Paul that quoting a pundit opposed to someone who knows what they are talking about, is not the smartest thing in the world. I don't quote Michael Moore, even though I often agree with him. I might cite some fact that he mentions in a documentary or book, but I damn sure cross-check it first because I know the guy is extremely biased and often puts a slant on things. I don't want to be caught with my blinders on. GK Paul, if you are going to debate with someone who has totally opposite views than you, you have to know their arguments too, not just the ones from your side of the political spectrum. Otherwise you are bound to be caught with your pants down. Pundits, liberal and conservative alike, manipulate data, conceal the whole truth, and often even just lie because they often care more about spreading their ideology than they do about being totally honest.

I suspect you are not a liar, but if you are not a liar, you are incredibly naive.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 10/12/2006 17:48:11
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  01:36:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
In the scholarly book that came out in the 70's {100 - The 100 most influential people in History} Here's how they were rated from memory:

1 Mohammed

2 Isaac Newton

3 Christ

4 Buddha

5 ?

6 St. Paul

7 Chinese Man who invented paper

!0 Einstein

I couldn't really understand the author's logic back than but the older I get the more I realize how smart he was. He said Jesus would have been higher if more people actually followed Jesus's teachings in their everyday life.

From memory he said Newton was the father of the scientific method.

Something cannot come from nothing. K. Tanaka geologist

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 10/13/2006 01:44:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.