New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  11:23:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I am still in awe of the Prophet John F Kennedy who foretold of the moon landing in great detail.

We have what Ill term, FiBBs and EBBs,
EBB = Evidence based belief
FiBB = Faith based belief

And yes I used the 'i' instead of 'a' for spite

LOL - I like the FiBB. That's funny.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  12:04:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

For those who believe in the Big Bang here is an article that claims the bible taught about it first.

http://www.reasons.org/resources/fff/2000issue03/index.shtml#big_bang_the_bible_taught_it_first

Euh... so what?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  16:18:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Help me out here.... a while back, in another thread, you were claiming that the big bang was impossible...

Now you think it was mentioned in the bible?

And after reading that silly little apologetics piece its pretty clear that the writers don't know anything about (or are deliberately misrepresenting) the big bang.

I never said the big bang was impossible so your post contains a falsehood.

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  16:24:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

If you don't believe in the Big Bang, then why are you quoting some guy who says Moses knew it first? Isn't that being dishonest, like Ann Coulter?

I said I was not going to respond to your posts unless you told me how you believe the world was created. So please don't ask me any more questions unless you answer the question I proposed to you. If you address me again without anwering my question I will have to add you to my block list of Starman and Dr. Mabuse.

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 10/18/2006 17:01:08
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  16:29:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:

quote:

If you don't believe in the Big Bang, then why are you quoting some guy who says Moses knew it first? Isn't that being dishonest, like Ann Coulter?

I said I was not going to respond to your posts unless you told me how you believe the world was created. So please don't ask me any more questions unless you answer the question I proposed to you. If you adresss me again without anwering my question I will have to add you to my block list of Starman and Dr. Mabuse.

I know this isn't my thread, and the question wasn't asked of me, but I can't help but ask this: What does the creation of the "world" (I assume you mean Earth) have to do with the Big Bang Theory?

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  16:54:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi

quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Help me out here.... a while back, in another thread, you were claiming that the big bang was impossible...

Now you think it was mentioned in the bible?

And after reading that silly little apologetics piece its pretty clear that the writers don't know anything about (or are deliberately misrepresenting) the big bang.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. That's how we got Christmas Trees and Easter Egss.

Well actually Isaac Newton, the world's second most influential person, according to that book I mentioned in Caesar's Messiah forum, calculated that Christ's Resurrection occurred on April 3rd; so having it around Easter makes perfect sense. And having holidays that occur around the time of pagan festivals is quite logical. If I was a Christian at that time, I'd want some activities I could go to, instead of just having to go to festival I didn't believe in. I hope you don't start making fun of blacks for having Kwanza around Christmas.

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 10/18/2006 17:06:04
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  18:24:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Well actually Isaac Newton, the world's second most influential person, according to that book I mentioned in Caesar's Messiah forum, calculated that Christ's Resurrection occurred on April 3rd; so having it around Easter makes perfect sense. And having holidays that occur around the time of pagan festivals is quite logical. If I was a Christian at that time, I'd want some activities I could go to, instead of just having to go to festival I didn't believe in. I hope you don't start making fun of blacks for having Kwanza around Christmas.
Well Newton's calculation of anything having to do with Jesus is more or less worthless. But since Jesus' crucifiction is tied to the Jewish Passover-- a typically spring holiday-- no one doubts its placement. However, some of the traditions associated it have pagan origins. If I'm not mistaken, even the word Easter has some pagan meanings (perhaps from the Mesopotamian goddess Ishtar? Or is that a false etymology and pure rubbish?)

And your attempt to link early Christian holiday traditions and Kwanza are off. The early church leaders were the ones who co-opted pagan holidays, forcing locals to participate in the new Christian celebrations (with plenty of paganism kept in to appease the masses) and doing away with mention of whatever pagan gods.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  18:38:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I said I was not going to respond to your posts unless you told me how you believe the world was created. So please don't ask me any more questions unless you answer the question I proposed to you. If you address me again without anwering my question I will have to add you to my block list of Starman and Dr. Mabuse.

Oh, I am so scared by your threats, GK Paul!

Your lack of honesty astounds me. I answered that question TWICE, as I'm sure you know. Here's the link that belies your statement that I did not answer your (irrelevant, unreasonable, and evasive) question. I cannot be held responsible for your failure to read or acknowledge my careful replies. You, however, are to be held responsible. Do that one more time again, and I will place you at the top of my own Ignore List.

You made a promise to members of this forum that you would define and give evidence for your Trinity upon receipt of information on our personal religious beliefs, and how we thought the earth came into being. Several of us have gone through the unreasonable contortions of complying with your childish demands. But you continue to avoid your end of the bargain. Shame of you for bearing false witness, while claiming to follow the Bible!

Now, put up, or shut up!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  19:06:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
You know, at another message board I used to frequent, the staff actually forbade telling other users you were going to put them on "ignore" and they forbade publicly discussing who is on your "ignore list."

The rule made sense, since threatening someone is pretty damn rude (even if it is threatening them with being ignored), and talking about people you are ignoring is also extremely rude.

You're one rude little punk, GK Paul.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  20:16:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
GK, please answer the question I asked.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  22:37:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

I said I was not going to respond to your posts unless you told me how you believe the world was created. So please don't ask me any more questions unless you answer the question I proposed to you.
Spineless coward.

Talk about rude.

You have nothing GK Paul!
You have no knowledge to offer anyone here, you ask no interesting questions and you refuse to listen to anyone (ignore list or not). You have no moral high ground as you have been lying, dodging questions and supporting libel from the very beginning.

The only reason why someone should ignore you would be out of pity. Debating you is like shooting fish in a barrel

You are pathetic and a disgrace to your religion.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  23:20:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:

I said I was not going to respond to your posts unless you told me how you believe the world was created. So please don't ask me any more questions unless you answer the question I proposed to you.
Spineless coward.

Talk about rude.

You have nothing GK Paul!
You have no knowledge to offer anyone here, you ask no interesting questions and you refuse to listen to anyone (ignore list or not). You have no moral high ground as you have been lying, dodging questions and supporting libel from the very beginning.

The only reason why someone should ignore you would be out of pity. Debating you is like shooting fish in a barrel

You are pathetic and a disgrace to your religion.

But at least he's not a suck-up.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  23:41:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

But at least he's not a suck-up.
Well not to anything from reality anyway.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  04:16:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, I am so scared by your threats, GK Paul!

Your lack of honesty astounds me. I answered that question TWICE, as I'm sure you know. Here's the link that belies your statement that I did not answer your (irrelevant, unreasonable, and evasive) question. I cannot be held responsible for your failure to read or acknowledge my careful replies. You, however, are to be held responsible. Do that one more time again, and I will place you at the top of my own Ignore List.

You made a promise to members of this forum that you would define and give evidence for your Trinity upon receipt of information on our personal religious beliefs, and how we thought the earth came into being. Several of us have gone through the unreasonable contortions of complying with your childish demands. But you continue to avoid your end of the bargain. Shame of you for bearing false witness, while claiming to follow the Bible!

Now, put up, or shut up!

All you said was that you believe science is the best way to answer questions concerning cosmology, but that doesn't answer my question of how do you believe the world (or universe) was created. Most scientists believe in the Big Bang theory, do you? You have been very skeptical of my beliefs but how can I be skeptical of yours if you won't tell me what they are. Do you believe in the Big Bang, yes or no?

And I also asked Moakley and Pleco the same question but I don't believe I ever got an answer.

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 10/19/2006 04:19:17
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  04:25:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Goddammit, when are you fuckers going to learn how to put up a link that doesn't run the page clear off the monitor and out into the kitchen? Yeesh!

Me, I don't have an Ignore List. I'm interested in what everybody has to say, especially those with whom I don't agree. But then, I gots a thick and callused skin, and when I am wrong, I want to know about it.

The various creation myths, young or old earth and from all religions, have no evidently support whatsoever. They are rather like me claiming that I can fly by flapping my arms and proving it by referring the heretic to a paper I once wrote on the mechanics of arm-flapping.

The so-called Big-Bang Theory was derived from the total of the evidence that has been accumulated thus far. It is a long chalk form complete, and I, among many others, don't think that it is possible to know what occurred before that event.
quote:
The Big Bang theory developed from observations of the molecular structure of the universe and theoretical considerations. Observationally, it was determined that most spiral nebulae were receding from Earth, but those who made the observation weren't aware of the cosmological implications, nor that the supposed nebulae were actually galaxies outside our own Milky Way.[5] In 1927, Georges Lemaître, a Belgian Roman Catholic priest, independently derived the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker equations from Albert Einstein's equations of general relativity and proposed, on the basis of the recession of spiral nebulae, that the universe began with the "explosion" of a "primeval atom"—what was later called the Big Bang.[6]

In 1929, Edwin Hubble provided an observational basis for Lemaître's theory. He discovered that, seen from Earth, light from other galaxies is red-shifted in direct proportion to their distance from the Earth. This fact is now known as Hubble's law.[7] Given the cosmological principle whereby the universe, when viewed on sufficiently large distance scales, has no preferred directions or preferred places, Hubble's law suggested that the universe was expanding, contradicting the infinite and unchanging static universe scenario developed by Einstein.[9]

And so forth.

I am curious, GK; why do you find it so important to know what everybody's beliefs, or lack of them, are?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.