Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  19:12:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Welcome to SFN, morgan-lynn lamberth! You know something? We must have the smartest 13 year olds on the planet at this site. We have a bunch of them...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  05:03:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by McQ

quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

quote:
Originally posted by McQ

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

If you don't believe in the Big Bang, then why are you quoting some guy who says Moses knew it first? Isn't that being dishonest, like Ann Coulter?

I said I was not going to respond to your posts unless you told me how you believe the world was created. So please don't ask me any more questions unless you answer the question I proposed to you. If you adresss me again without anwering my question I will have to add you to my block list of Starman and Dr. Mabuse.

I know this isn't my thread, and the question wasn't asked of me, but I can't help but ask this: What does the creation of the "world" (I assume you mean Earth) have to do with the Big Bang Theory?

It has everything to do with it if your one of the scientists who accept the big bang theory

GK Paul, you didn't answer the question. Let me be more clear. What exactly do you think the Big Bang Theory has to do with the creation of the Earth itself? Our planet only, since that is what I assume you mean when you say "the world". Now please be so kind to answer the question asked of you. Don't try and second guess me or assume something that I haven't done or said. It's a straightforward question and deserves a straightforward answer.

(edited to add last two sentences)

As I said before the Big Bang has everything to do with the creation of the earth if you believe in the Big Bang. No Big Bang, no matter, no matter, no earth. Big Bang scientists theorize that the Big Bang eventually created all matter. They just don't know exactly what "it" was that was transformed into matter and why it happened because the laws of physics don't explain why this theoretical transformation occurred.

My problem with this theory is where did all the energy come from that eventially created (according to theory) enough matter to form the
10 billion trillion stars that are estimated to be in the known universe. As Ken Tanaka says "something cannot come from nothing". where the heck did all that energy come from. To me God is the only answer that makes sense on how 10 billion trillion stars were created.

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  05:47:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

To me God is the only answer that makes sense on how 10 billion trillion stars were created.
Unless you can explain god and creation, that is complete nonsense. If you havenīt got a clue say so instead. That would be an honest answer.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  06:13:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
As I said before the Big Bang has everything to do with the creation of the earth if you believe in the Big Bang. No Big Bang, no matter, no matter, no earth. Big Bang scientists theorize that the Big Bang eventually created all matter. They just don't know exactly what "it" was that was transformed into matter and why it happened because the laws of physics don't explain why this theoretical transformation occurred.

My problem with this theory is where did all the energy come from that eventially created (according to theory) enough matter to form the
10 billion trillion stars that are estimated to be in the known universe. As Ken Tanaka says "something cannot come from nothing". where the heck did all that energy come from. To me God is the only answer that makes sense on how 10 billion trillion stars were created.

Holy (and I mean that in the absolute least religious way possible) Shit!!!

I waited all this time for that lame answer? GK Paul, the least you could do is try....try to understand what Big Bang Theory is about. What a colossal waste of time. Well, sort of. You confirmed for me that you are whacked and know nothing about physics, chemistry, astronomy, cosmology, and for that matter, Biblical Apologetics. Geez, back in the days when I was a Born-again Fundy Christian, we had better answers than this.

At least I no longer feel the need to be polite to you, since you were rude (by your own definition of rudeness here) to me on every post.

Please put me on ignore, I beg of you!

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  07:02:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by McQ

quote:

I waited all this time for that lame answer? GK Paul, the least you could do is try....try to understand what Big Bang Theory is about. What a colossal waste of time. Well, sort of. You confirmed for me that you are whacked and know nothing about physics, chemistry, astronomy, cosmology, and for that matter, Biblical Apologetics. Geez, back in the days when I was a Born-again Fundy Christian, we had better answers than this.

At least I no longer feel the need to be polite to you, since you were rude (by your own definition of rudeness here) to me on every post.

Name one thing that I said in my previous post that was incorrect.

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 11/02/2006 07:03:55
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  07:14:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by McQ

quote:

2 Cents:

As I understand it, in layman's terms, the universe started as a singularity, an infinitely small point, that encompased all of space and all the energy/matter that would eventually fill space. Then it went boom, inflating the space of the universe like a balloon and filling it with energy and matter. And the rest is history.

But there's no information on what caused that, what the source of energy is, no? And there is no way to get that information, at least in our current understanding of physics. It literally could be anything, so wtf? It can't be PROOF for GK's theology, but if he chooses to believe God is the First Cause, what of it?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  09:34:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
If he chooses to believe that some type of god created the universe, that's fine.

However, he and his ilk make assertions of fact that since current science has no explanation, then it MUST be a supernatural "first cause."

Their "logic" is the standard god-of-the-gaps. As opposed to the intellectually honest answer of "i don't know yet".

But "I don't know" makes him and like-minded folks squeamish. They MUST have some type of answer, some type of structure, some type of "purpose" given to them. "I don't know" means that they have to think on their own, and create their own purpose. It is hard to think otherwise when your whole life and your emotions are vested in this mindset.

How do I know this? When I was a youngin' I was caught up in the fundy-style christian religion. Fortunately, I also had an insatiable desire for knowledge (particularly science and philosophy), and this eventually saved me from the mental null void.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 11/02/2006 09:40:46
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  10:50:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

If he chooses to believe that some type of god created the universe, that's fine.

However, he and his ilk make assertions of fact that since current science has no explanation, then it MUST be a supernatural "first cause."

Their "logic" is the standard god-of-the-gaps. As opposed to the intellectually honest answer of "i don't know yet".

But "I don't know" makes him and like-minded folks squeamish. They MUST have some type of answer, some type of structure, some type of "purpose" given to them. "I don't know" means that they have to think on their own, and create their own purpose. It is hard to think otherwise when your whole life and your emotions are vested in this mindset.

How do I know this? When I was a youngin' I was caught up in the fundy-style christian religion. Fortunately, I also had an insatiable desire for knowledge (particularly science and philosophy), and this eventually saved me from the mental null void.

Isn't Faith all about: I CAN'T know but I believe ANYWAY? People of Faith shouldn't concern themselves with proving anything about God at all. Trying such is, in a sense, an expression of a LACK of Faith.... If God wants them to KNOW, God will make it so. Period.

Back to science, if information from before the Big Bang always remains unaccessible, then whatever there was before the Big Bang will always be outside the realm of Science -- effectively left to the Faithful be it Capital F godly Faith or small f scientfic theoretical speculation....

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 11/02/2006 10:50:47
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  11:58:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by McQ

quote:

Name one thing that I said in my previous post that was incorrect.

Sorry pal, you are going to have to do your own research. I won't waste my time trying to teach you something you don't want to learn. You need about 4 years worth of classes in various Hard sciences.

Name one thing you stated that was wrong? Try looking up Nucleosynthesis for a start.

Try also to not equate something which occurred over 13 billion years ago (Big Bang), with something that occurred about 4.5 billion years ago (formation of the Earth). That's not exactly close together in time.

--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  12:11:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
2 Cents:

As I understand it, in layman's terms, the universe started as a singularity, an infinitely small point, that encompased all of space and all the energy/matter that would eventually fill space. Then it went boom, inflating the space of the universe like a balloon and filling it with energy and matter. And the rest is history.

But there's no information on what caused that, what the source of energy is, no? And there is no way to get that information, at least in our current understanding of physics. It literally could be anything, so wtf? It can't be PROOF for GK's theology, but if he chooses to believe God is the First Cause, what of it?

Yes, chaloobi, what of it? If you've read my posts you'll see I've never mentioned a first cause at all. I couldn't care less what GK Paul thinks about "before" the BB. We're all guessing about that. You and I and everyone are free to speculate all we want about that.

It's questioning that the event took place and what happened afterwards that I occupy myself with caring about. That he tries to equate the BB with the formation of the Earth is what I'm trying to determine and take issue with. Nothing else has been of interest to me in this yet. Since those events took place about 10 billion (give or take a measly billion) years apart, I want to know why he frames them together.

--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  13:17:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by McQ

quote:
2 Cents:

Yes, chaloobi, what of it? If you've read my posts you'll see I've never mentioned a first cause at all. I couldn't care less what GK Paul thinks about "before" the BB. We're all guessing about that. You and I and everyone are free to speculate all we want about that.

It's questioning that the event took place and what happened afterwards that I occupy myself with caring about. That he tries to equate the BB with the formation of the Earth is what I'm trying to determine and take issue with. Nothing else has been of interest to me in this yet. Since those events took place about 10 billion (give or take a measly billion) years apart, I want to know why he frames them together.

Guilty as charged -- I haven't read your discussion beyond the post I responded to, so what you said is out of context for me.

Regarding First Cause, this is a cause/effect universe, the universe is expanding, so it's reasonable to presume there was a beginning and a First Cause. But that's all. If there was, it doesn't have to be a deity. It could be just part of some ongoing inanimate process....

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  15:35:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul...

My problem with this theory is where did all the energy come from that eventially created (according to theory) enough matter to form the 10 billion trillion stars that are estimated to be in the known universe. As Ken Tanaka says "something cannot come from nothing". where the heck did all that energy come from. To me God is the only answer that makes sense on how 10 billion trillion stars were created.
You could be truthful for a change and just say you don't know much about the science involved in the Big Bang theory. You could also show that you actually have some balls by acknowledging your inability to provide either a definition of your "True Supreme God" or any legitimate evidence of its existence. And you could display some integrity by admitting that all you really have to support your superstitious beliefs is your faith, the belief itself. But it's pretty unlikely that you have the honesty or strength of character necessary to do that.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  15:36:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
GK Paul may be a willful ignoramus, a liar, and an ingrate, but he should get full credit for one thing: He's the dodge-ball champion of SFN!

To risk messing a mixaphor, I've never seen such expert ducking and weaving since Muhammad Ali was in his prime. God-boy is the greatest!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  17:08:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
Well congratulations to GeeMack and McQ. You've been added to my list of people I will ignore because of personal attacks made against me. The list now stands at 6 people. Mr. McQ your whacked comment is what allowed you on the list.

The bible says to love your enemy so there is really no hard feelings. It's just that the personal attacks are a distraction and interfere with logic and skeptical thinking. Good Luck

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  17:30:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul...

The bible says to love your enemy so there is really no hard feelings. It's just that the personal attacks are a distraction and interfere with logic and skeptical thinking. Good Luck
Almost nothing you've said in all your 200 plus posting here has had anything to do with logic or skeptical thinking. And people making a legitimate assessment of your character based on those couple hundred postings is not a personal attack. It's actually an attempt to help you realize some of your very serious shortcomings. If you'd realize how completely illogical you are and how absolutely non-thinking you are, you could become a better person for it and go far in life. Instead of your pretentious (that's lying, by the way) ignorance, you should actually be thanking people for trying to help you. But you won't, because, as has been mentioned time and again, you're just a smart mouthed ingrate, a spoiled child. You're the one who needs the good luck, GK Paul, because you've really not shown that you have anything else going for you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.