Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  01:06:30  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This isn't really humor as such, nor is some kind of a trick involved. But I do happen to possess what I presently think is and always will be the "ultimate trivia question," along with its factual answer. I will only present these after seeing other (probably lamer) suggested trivia questions along with their answers.

Well, what are your nominations, folks?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  02:53:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
What is the most popular item at yard sales?

What is the foulest-smelling catfish bait?

Who invented the yo-yo?

What is G.W. Bush's favorite hemorrhoid nostrum?

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Who played the hot chick in Beneath the Twelve Mile Reef?

Who holds the Guiness record for the lamest trivia question?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  03:19:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Who invented the yo-yo?

Thank you for the good start, Filthy. Though your questions were not paired with answers (except the last one, for which I think the answer is obvious). I'll give this some more time before I break down and give my question and answer.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  04:01:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:

Who invented the yo-yo?

Thank you for the good start, Filthy. Though your questions were not paired with answers (except the last one, for which I think the answer is obvious). I'll give this some more time before I break down and give my question and answer.

Oh. I didn't know we were supposed to give answers as well... Okey-dokey, from the top:

The cheapest as long as there are no moth holes or puke stains in it.

Don't know, but I'd not want something that would eat that! My cousin used to make up a bait with aging chicken blood and other, equally rancid stuff. Unfortunately, it didn't work very well, but it was certainly rank enough to qualify. And he wondered why nobody would help him with his trot lines....

In the early '50s, it was thought in some circles that The Devil came up with it in an attempt to distract and lead the children astray from the True Faith. That was incorrect. After all, I had a couple of yo-yos, and nothing happened to me....

He's such an asshole, it must be turpentine.

None. Unlike the Cottingley Fairies, there is no evidence for the existence of angels.

Mitzi Gaynor. She once showed up at some function or other wearing a chinchilla bikini. Most fetching, albeit a bit hairy.

Probably you do....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/22/2006 04:04:15
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  04:11:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Ah, now they are complete, thanks! Hoping for some other folks' input, however, I'll wait at least a few hours more before dropping my winner on the world. Just to avoid any buildup of false expectations, there's nothing funny about my "ultimate trivia question" and its answer, nor are either especially astounding. But they do have good genes for being considered quite ultimate.

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  04:24:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Which two scientists didn't realize the importance of their Nobel prize-winning discovery until they read about it in the New York times?

Spoiler:
Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson are the discoverers of cosmic background radiation in 1965. They did not realize the true importance of their discovery until they read about it in the New York Times. They were awarded the Nobel prize for their discovery in 1978.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  04:26:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
A nice one, that!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  05:34:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hey! What shit is this? How come I have to give the answers, but Tom doesn't beyond "spoiler," whatever that means. That's discrimination, that is! You'll be hearing from my lawyer just as soon as I can drag the fucker out of the opium den....

I can never take trivia games seriously. They're just so, well, trivial.

But I will try. Who was the smugly complacent meteorologist that utterly blew the forecast on the devastating Galvaston hurricane of 1900, in spite of warnings from Cuba that it was on it's way?

Spoiler:

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/22/2006 05:38:42
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  06:42:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Hey! What shit is this? How come I have to give the answers, but Tom doesn't beyond "spoiler," whatever that means.

The trick with spoilers are the [spoiler]-tags.

Text between the spoiler-tag becomes transparent, and can only be seen by "selecting" the text portion.

This is an empty space.

Try marking Hello, Filthy... this whole text line, and you'll see what I mean.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  08:35:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
What is the formula for determining the distance to the horizon?

(i.e. on the ocean, at the beach)

1.17 X the square root of the height of your eye = the distance in nautical miles to the horizon (at sea level).

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  09:04:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

Hey! What shit is this? How come I have to give the answers, but Tom doesn't beyond "spoiler," whatever that means.

Text between the spoiler-tag becomes transparent, and can only be seen by "selecting" the text portion.

This is an empty space.

Ah, I see. Thanks Doc. Sorry 'bout that 'mooner.

Ok, it was Isaac Cline, who ignored the warnings and was largly responsible for the loss of life during that storm.

Now I have to take an on-the-nod jawbone back to the hop house....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  10:54:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Once upon a time I entered a members chat room at AOL called “Ask a Lesbian Anything.” So I asked those in the room if they could name the largest lake in the world?” I was completely ignored…

Go figure…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  12:21:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
As soon as I read the OP, I started scrolling down to check if Kil had beaten me to his oh-so-popular question. Damnit!

What is the number of times a piece of paper must be folded before it's width will reach the moon?

How many roads must a man walk down, before you can call him a man?

What is six times nine?

(The answer to all is 42)

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  13:14:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

This is an empty space.

Ah, I see. Thanks Doc. Sorry 'bout that 'mooner.

Ok, it was Isaac Cline, who ignored the warnings and was largly responsible for the loss of life during that storm.

Now I have to take an on-the-nod jawbone back to the hop house....

Yes, Filthy, it did work a bit better that way. Simply typing "spoiler" didn't really cut it as an answer.

Yes, "Isaac's Storm." That poor idiot. Cline and the rest of the US Weather Bureau had a policy of totally ignoring warnings from Cuban meteorologists in those days, despite the fact that the Cubans (through location and experience, as well as better scientists) had a much better handle on hurricanes than did the American service. Racism and misplaced patriotism, mainly. That shit can be deadly.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/22/2006 13:16:36
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  13:19:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Once upon a time I entered a members chat room at AOL called “Ask a Lesbian Anything.” So I asked those in the room if they could name the largest lake in the world?” I was completely ignored…

Go figure…

Largest? In volume, or in surface area, or in length of shoreline?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  13:30:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Again, to further lower expectations for my upcoming "ultimate trivia question" (and answer), I should state that some of you probably already know the question and answer, but are just too bone-headed to realize how ultimate it is. When I point it out, however, you will all nod knowingly, realizing my brilliance for discovering (or at least pointing out) the indisputably ultimate trivia question and answer.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.