Bush & Olmert: A Pair to Draw To
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  22:03:09  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO! Just THIS In...from Reuters

By Jeffrey Heller and Matt Spetalnick

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush and Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert turned up the heat on Iran over its nuclear program on Monday, despite growing pressure for Washington to reach out to Tehran to help stabilize Iraq.

Bush, reasserting a central plank of his foreign policy after his party suffered heavy losses in U.S. elections, called for the "economic isolation" of Iran if it proceeds with uranium enrichment in defiance of international pressure.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair was expected to call on Monday for Iran and Syria to back efforts to stop violence in Iraq as Washington and London consider changes in their strategy for the increasingly unpopular war.

But after talks with Olmert, Bush expressed little enthusiasm for appealing to Iraq's neighbors, which the United States has accused of helping to fuel the Iraqi insurgency since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.

Instead the two leaders had harsh words for Tehran. "I recognize the threat to world peace that ... the Iranians pose, as does the (Israeli) prime minister," Bush told reporters.

Accusing Iran of "fanaticism and extremism," Olmert voiced support for U.S.-led efforts to impose U.N. sanctions on Iran and said Tehran must not be allowed to "cross the technological threshold" to develop a nuclear bomb.

Orwellingly Yurz sez: Leave it to the right wing Christians and Jews! They're gonna rupture us all with this Rapture Thing. Too bad they don't have a Vision Thing.

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde

Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 11/13/2006 22:04:31

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  00:50:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO! Just THIS In....

Here's a little more on the Rapture Thing....

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/14/washington/14israel.html?hp&ex=1163566800&en=fba77299178204a6&ei=5094&partner=homepage

OY sez: Sure glad our founding father's had their shit together to know that keeping government and religion compartmentalized would allow us to have a nation that would last, at least, into the beginning of the 21st century. But, folks like these mentioned in this story linked above want to stop all that silly lucidity and make sure they and their fundamentalist counterparts blow the fuckin' planet up in order to carry-out God's foreign policy.

Amen? I don't think so! But definitely: OY!

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 11/14/2006 00:51:38
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  15:06:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061114/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_nuclear

quote:
Plutonium found in Iran waste facility

VIENNA, Austria - International Atomic Energy experts have found unexplained plutonium and highly enriched uranium traces in a nuclear waste facility in
Iran and have asked Tehran for an explanation, an IAEA report said Tuesday.

The report, prepared for next week's meeting of the 35-nation IAEA, also faulted Tehran for not cooperating with the agency's attempts to investigate suspicious aspects of Iran's nuclear program that have lead to fears it might be interested in developing nuclear arms.

And it said it could not confirm Iranian claims that its nuclear activities were exclusively nonmilitary unless Tehran increased its openness.

Yes, obviously the problem is Israel or the US, not Iran.
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  22:55:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO! Mygoodness, Mycroft...
I didn't exclude Iran as being part of the problem. But you suggest that maybe Israel and the U.S. aren't. Is that your point?

Israel= Theocracy
Iran= Theocracy
U.S.(under the Bushits)= Wannabe Theocracy (I'm hoping you're pulling along with me for our country to get back to being more of a secular government, as it was intended.)

That's MY point!

OY!

--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  00:04:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Orwellingly Yurz
I didn't exclude Iran as being part of the problem. But you suggest that maybe Israel and the U.S. aren't. Is that your point?

Israel= Theocracy
Iran= Theocracy
U.S.(under the Bushits)= Wannabe Theocracy (I'm hoping you're pulling along with me for our country to get back to being more of a secular government, as it was intended.)

That's MY point!

OY!

Iran is a theocracy in the sense that Islamic clerics are constitutionally an integral part of the Iranian government and its “Guardian Council” vets laws according to compliance with Islamic Sharia law with full authority to reject any law they deem inappropriate. Neither Israel nor the United States have anything similar or comparable to that.

In the US the closest you got is some leaders who publicly proclaim to believe in God and some fringe groups who (democratically) try to influence our laws to be more compatible with their vision of Christianity. They tend to get a lot of attention, but very little success.

In Israel the closest thing you have is public support of synagogues, but Israel also supports Mosques with its tax dollars, so at least it's not exclusive to one religion. As an American, I personally find that lack of total separation between church and state uncomfortable, but it's very similar to many European countries that also support their churches with tax dollars, some even having official state religions.

I'm afraid your charges lack foundation.
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  21:04:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO! "The only thing we have is fear itself." George W. Bush (in his sleep)

OY!

--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  08:22:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:

Israel= Theocracy
Iran= Theocracy

That's MY point!

OY!

Israel is a liberal democracy.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  18:45:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO! Peaceful Joe.

Israel is a conservative democracy that's underpinned by a theocratic
mindset. It is also a surogate state of the US. The fact that Israel is run primarily by and for people of Hebraic descent indicates a foundation of religiosity. When anyone sees the word Israel, the term Hebrew or Jew are in the subtext of its meaning.

But Israel is not like the US, which isn't really founded on Christian precepts as some folks dearly want to believe.

At least two of the primary founders, Jefferson and Adams, were not Christians. If my memory serves me correctly, Jefferson was a Deist and Adams, a Unitarian. Ask any Christian, and they'll tell you that such beliefs are not Christian.

As we all know, one of the fundamental reasons the American Revolution occured is because of a monarchy and a theocracy all mixed together. Also, getting taxed without being represented appropriately added some fiscal weight to the decision, I believe.

I think it was neat that Jews got a place to call home because of the crap that's been stuffed down their cultural throat over so many years. It would've been even neater if that home of theirs hadn't been located so damned close to their religio/tribal enemies.

But it certainly serves the needs of the Brits and the Yanks. Hey?

OY!

--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 11/21/2006 18:48:07
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  07:05:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:

YO! Peaceful Joe.
...........But Israel is not like the US, which isn't really founded on Christian precepts as some folks dearly want to believe.

At least two of the primary founders, Jefferson and Adams, were not Christians. If my memory serves me correctly, Jefferson was a Deist and Adams, a Unitarian. Ask any Christian, and they'll tell you that such beliefs are not Christian.

Most of the founders were diests. Jefferson liked to claim himself a Christian, and following todays tradition.... A Unitarian can be a Christian and all a Christian has to do to be a Christian is claim s/he is a christian..... but I digress.....

quote:

As we all know, one of the fundamental reasons the American Revolution occured is because of a monarchy and a theocracy all mixed together. Also, getting taxed without being represented appropriately added some fiscal weight to the decision, I believe.

Where did you read this? This was a post-revolution reason for the establishment clause of the first amendment. If it was a primary reason, it would have been in the Decleration of Independence.

quote:

I think it was neat that Jews got a place to call home because of the crap that's been stuffed down their cultural throat over so many years. It would've been even neater if that home of theirs hadn't been located so damned close to their religio/tribal enemies.

But it certainly serves the needs of the Brits and the Yanks. Hey?

OY!

The the Jewish folks, the homeland has, and always will be the most important thing. It drobe them during the first diaspora (approx 720 BCE)), the Babylonian diaspora (approx 500 BCE), and after the sacking by the Romans (approx 65 AD).

It serves the needs for security of any Christian or Jewish person who wants to openly worship in a demoracy where everyone around them wants them all dead. An oasis so on the border of the House of War.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  09:31:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO: "An oasis so on the border of the House of War." Would get it. OY!

--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 11/22/2006 09:33:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.