Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  00:31:44  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
"The Onion" editor admits it's not real news

Exclusive by Larry Histard for SFN

November 15, 2006 -- It is a venerated organization, founded in 1988. It calls itself "America's Finest News Source." It exists in print, radio, and Internet editions. Millions of intelligent Americans have put their trust in it as their primary source for current events. But today its Editor revealed that "The Onion" is actually America's phoniest news source.

Scott Dikkers, Editor of The Onion.

During our interview of editor Scott Dikkers today, this reporter recalled the details of several Onion stories which had especially impressed him. Dikkers suddenly held up a hand. Then he set off a bombshell.

"Please hold it a moment," Dikkers said. "I think I see where all this flattery is headed, Larry. I hear this kind of stuff all the time. You'd rather work for us than for SFN. But there's something you need to understand. All those stories you've been kissing my ass about for the last hour are parodies. They are examples of satirical material, forms of humorous fiction," Dikkers told this stunned reporter.

When this reporter mentioned that he had gotten almost all his information following the 9/11 attacks from Onion articles, Dikkers sighed, and said, "You really shouldn't be taking these stories so literally. They are intended for entertainment, not as factual chronicles of current events. Sometimes, we try to make people think while they laugh, but even that's secondary to the parody."

When this reporter returned to the SFN World Headquarters, he looked up "parody" in an online dictionary. According to Dictionary.com:
quote:
1. a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing: his hilarious parody of Hamlet's soliloquy.
2. the genre of literary composition represented by such imitations.
3. a burlesque imitation of a musical composition.
4. any humorous, satirical, or burlesque imitation, as of a person, event, etc.
5. the use in the 16th century of borrowed material in a musical setting of the Mass (parody Mass).
6. a poor or feeble imitation or semblance; travesty: His acting is a parody of his past greatness.
This reporter believes he will not stand alone when he says that the sixth definition best describes "The Onion." Now revealed to be a tissue of lies, the Onion is indeed a "travesty."

[Story idea suggested by Ricky, during Wednesday chat. Thanks!]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/16/2006 01:34:06

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  20:59:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I enjoy the naiveté angle. I once had an idea for a movie-star interview show in which the interviewer would pick a movie that either few people would remember or would no longer be found on his/her guests' resumés, and act as if that film was the pinnacle of the actors' careers. For example, with Tom Hanks on, the interviewer might say, "I just loved you in The Money Pit, especially the 'name game' part. Have you done anything lately?" And then, of course, the interviewer would feign utter surprise that he's done 30 more movies since then, and then drag Splash, Bachelor Party and The Man with One Red Shoe out for rehashing and maybe some clips.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  21:15:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
The Money Pit, Splash, and Bachelor Party are all classics!

The Man with One Red Shoe pretty much stunk.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  21:17:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
You should write a script for that, Dave! It would make a funny movie premise in itself.

As for my expose story, you may recognize a bit of me in the naive, disillusioned reporter. Made it easy to write.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/16/2006 21:20:36
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  21:21:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

You should write a script for that, Dave! It would make a funny movie premise in itself.
Sort of reminds me of The Chris Farley Show.

Chris Farley: [ uncomfortable ] You.. you.. you remember when you were with The Beatles?

Paul McCartney: Yeah, sure.

Chris Farley: That was awesome!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  14:18:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
The angle I was actually thinking of (but never said) was the Onion writes a piece admitting to the world that it has been reporting fake news all along.

But this was a good angle as well.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  14:26:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

The angle I was actually thinking of (but never said) was the Onion writes a piece admitting to the world that it has been reporting fake news all along.

But this was a good angle as well.

Well, then I fucked that up royally. As I recall from the chat, you'd made your suggestion in a brief sentence, open to me completely misinterpreting the whole concept. Leave me holes like that, and I'll jump right through 'em, Ricky. Thanks, anyway, for inspiring this other article.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/17/2006 14:29:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.