Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  17:16:51  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Historian: Edison faked Wright's flight feat

New evidence has surfaced that the first powered flight by a heavier-than-air craft in 1903 was actually faked in the world's first film studio. A studio built by Thomas Alva Edison in West Orange, New Jersey, was the setting for the motion picture and still photography used in the hoax, says a historian.

Exterior of Edison's "Black Maria" film set

According to historian Andre Kloddhopper, author of Wright Flyer? Wrong, Liar!, newly discovered photographic and documentary evidence proves that the supposed events at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina on December 17, 1903 were actually photographed in the world's first motion picture studio, Edison's so-called "Black Maria" in New Jersey.

Edison's preliminary test film footage of flying special effects later used in hoax

"Thomas Alva Edison," says Kloddhopper, "was the evil genius behind this hoax. Edison was desperate for material to film with his new motion picture camera equipment. He perpetrated the faked Wright flying feat in order to provide an exciting subject for his nickelodeon films. The Wrights had unknowingly infringed upon an unsuccessful Edison kite design when building their gliders, and Edison used this to force them to help him. The Wizard of Menlo Park threatened to sue them if they didn't aid him in pulling off the hoax."

A still photo of faked flight after post-production airbrushing

"The Wright Flyer never went to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina," said Kloddhopper. "Getting it there from Dayton, Ohio is an absurd idea, and was indeed far beyond the financial and technical abilities of Orville and Wilbur Wright."

Newly discovered photo of filming session in Black Maria

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/27/2006 21:54:11

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  17:54:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Moon you are getting too good at this! I love it (being a flying enthusiast)!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  18:01:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thanks very much, Pleco! It's hard not to imagine that this could have actually happened, giving the improbability of the flight, Edison's power and dominance, and his need for material to film. The Wrights were merely bike mechanics and kite enthusiasts, after all. Imagine if you or I tried to go up against Bill Gates and Microsoft. Fergetaboutit.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/27/2006 18:04:37
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  19:42:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Half, you have neatly explained why, with $1.2 million dollars and tons of advanced planning, the 100th anniversary recreation of that famous flight failed. Blaming the weather, of course, was just a pathetic rationalization.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  19:59:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Best one yet, Half.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  20:14:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
Beautiful HalfMooner! It is your best one to date.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  20:27:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thanks, guys! I think I am learning still. But I'll never know if I hit the target until I see people's reaction. This is hard stuff to do. (Which actor said on his deathbed, "Dying is easy; comedy is hard"?)

I have a seasonal story almost completed, that I will be posting in a few days.

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  14:51:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
I must admit that I, also, really like your news stories. You should really start your own web site for them, methinks.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  15:58:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

I must admit that I, also, really like your news stories. You should really start your own web site for them, methinks.

Thank you, Hawks. I like it here just fine, though. I think that having my own site would provide pressures that I just don't care to deal with right now. And the feedback here has helped me try to refine my stuff. Something that would be difficult to find in a new site, short of having to referee a (shudder) forum.

I just don't think I could apply the wonderful light hand that the Mods use here. I'd be constantly tempted to go on banning binges, and I'd likely end up with few people willing to offer real criticism.

Of course, if Dave asks me to start a separate site, then I should take the hint.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/28/2006 16:01:49
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  20:10:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I've half a mind to start another folder here, just for your items, Half.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  20:14:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I've half a mind to start another folder here, just for your items, Half.

Together, our two half minds might add up to a full wit, Dave. I'd be flattered and delighted to cooperate, if you wanted to do that, Dave. If you really decide to do so, give me a bit of time to think of a title for the folder, okay?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  20:31:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Oh, nonono. I've got a name for it already. You won't have the choice there, if this comes to pass.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  20:38:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Oh, nonono. I've got a name for it already. You won't have the choice there, if this comes to pass.

Well, that's a relief. My first three titles were already taken, per Mr. Google.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  20:39:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hadn't thought of that. My title is taken. Damn.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  20:48:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Dang!

"News We Can Lose"?
"Newslyin'"?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/28/2006 21:01:34
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  23:25:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Faux News.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.