Hussein is dead
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  20:46:02  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Link

Interesting news coverage - seeing people dance and sing in celebration and thanking god gives me the creeps.

Not sure what forum to post this in, so feel free to move it to the proper venue.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

Edited by - pleco on 12/29/2006 20:46:37

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  20:54:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Oh, shit, my well-researched Moonscape News article about how Saddam made a plea-bargain at the last minute to save his life in return for showing where he'd hid the WMDs is probably no damned good now.

People here in the US probably cheered Hitler's death, too. And to them, at the time, it seemed anything but creepy.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  20:56:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

People here in the US probably cheered Hitler's death, too. And to them, at the time, it seemed anything but creepy.

Oh I agree, just seems creepy to me.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  21:17:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Strange Halfmooner you mention Hitler, I was just throwing this rushed cut and paste together...

"President Bush reacts to news of Saddam Hussein's execution".....

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  21:57:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Rummy looks good in gray.

Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  22:26:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Yes, there are those who seem gleeful. My non-expert opinion is that those who would celebrate the intentional killing of another human being pose a potential danger to self or others, one criteria which is often applied to deciding whether one should be committed to a mental health institution.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  23:52:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
But wasn't there that other guy? You know, that guy who was actually responsible for 9-11? What's his name...

...ah, forget it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  13:53:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

Yes, there are those who seem gleeful. My non-expert opinion is that those who would celebrate the intentional killing of another human being pose a potential danger to self or others, one criteria which is often applied to deciding whether one should be committed to a mental health institution.

Now you got my conscience going, and after I bought all those streamers!

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  14:48:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
...and now he is a martyr for "his" people.
It would have been better if he got to rot away in a prison for life.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  15:14:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Despite rhetoric there, I don't think martyrdom really has much impact one way or the other in Iraq. Martyrdom is just a way of putting a happy face on defeat. Too many dead already, and one more means little. As evidenced by things continuing pretty much as before Saddam's hanging.

One thing I read: The US refused to hand Saddam over to the Iraqi authorities until just immediately before the execution, because they were afraid the Iraqis would go to elaborate effort to abuse and humiliate him. Still, they danced around his body when they cut him down.

My only surprise in all this is that they gave the body back to his supporters for burial. This sets up the possibility of a shrine for him in Tikrit. I don't object, merely register surprise.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/30/2006 15:34:32
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  20:11:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I channel surfed much of the night past those main news channels....for crying out loud, this was literally breaking news-constant coverage for 24 hours plus.

And those twenty or thirty street revelers in Dearborn...you'd think the whole of the USA was out in the streets all night over this.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  20:15:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I confess, I wanted to see 'the drop' but only for morbid curiosity, not for any personal satisfaction. This guy was bad, deserved what he got, but I can't say I exactly cheered when Nikolai Chowchesku and his wife were shot either.

Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  20:31:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
I stayed up until 3 am waiting for "The Drop". Shit! I think I'm so smart and then I go and do a stupid thing like that! LOL!

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.