Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Pachomius
BANNED

62 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  17:30:12  Show Profile Send Pachomius a Private Message
Have you noticed if you have pet cats at home? that the cat usually look for a place in private in the garden to do his thing, i.e., defecation and urination, on ground soil.

Here is what I have seen cats doing it -- if you have observed otherwise, tell me.

First, the cat searches for a rather hidden spot in the garden ground, not cemented but with earth soil for surface; then it digs a hole and deposits its feces or urine; now it covers the hole with soil and smell the spot to see whether more soil should be pushed on the spot to cover it better, like as to prevent it from being smelled easily by other animals.

Once in the shower I saw some pieces of like liver sausage on the drainer hole of the floor; so I picked up a piece and it turned out to be excrement from the cat which probably could not get out so it did its thing on that precise spot as the most appropriate.

The cat is a much more modest and clean animal at home compared to the dog; but I understand that the dog does its thing not only for relief but also to give notice, like Rocky (our dog's name) was here.

Who has read some similar account in the Old Testament about how to undertake the major need during the travel to the Promised Land? Here, it is found in Deut. 23:12-14:

quote:
Deuteronomy 23:12-14 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

12Thou shalt have a place also without the camp, whither thou shalt go forth abroad:

13And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee:

14For the LORD thy God walketh in the midst of thy camp, to deliver thee, and to give up thine enemies before thee; therefore shall thy camp be holy: that he see no unclean thing in thee, and turn away from thee.

I have to go now, the wife calls to breakfast; and if I don't report pronto, it will be breakfast by self-service and self pickup afterwards. I will be back tomorrow.

Pachomius

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  18:28:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
So, essentially, the Bible is saying we are cats, not dogs?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/26/2006 18:53:44
Go to Top of Page

Master Yoda
Skeptic Friend

59 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  19:35:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Master Yoda a Private Message
I simply LOVE this thread! Pachomius/Yrreg, some of us asked that you get involved in something other than your Buddhist Bashing. I'm not sure, but a quick show of hands seems to indicate that no one expected the result to be Andy Rooney on Toilet Training.

(Best Andy Rooney voice) "Didja ever wonder how come cats and dogs and other species treat the act of taking a dump differently. I mean... a cat'll sneak off and be really fastidious, a dog will leave it anywhere and then kick his rear legs a couple of time, and horses? Don't get me started on horses! Well, they just plop it out while on the move, like a wildebeest does."

I'm not sure how to take the passage in Deuteronomy, though. Maybe someone could write Dr. Laura for me. Being an atheist, can I forego carrying a spade on my weapon and digging little holes in the ground near the hotel I'm staying in when I'm abroad? Last time I was at the Savoy in London they really got annoyed at me for that. Plus, I've actually come to rather rely on flush toilets. I also notice that Deuteronomy has no instructions on wiping oneself. Is that the reason for the stench in most fundie meetings?

Edited by - Master Yoda on 12/26/2006 19:42:24
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  21:30:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I guess the wife calling made us all miss the part where Pachomius somehow connects his rambling about his cat's elimination behaviour to the title of this thread.

I wonder if mountain gorillas wipe or wash... or do neither.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  21:36:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I guess the wife calling made us all miss the part where Pachomius somehow connects his rambling about his cat's elimination behaviour to the title of this thread.

I can barely [gag] wait for that.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  01:10:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
And here I was ready to say bidets can easily have the last person's remains still on the nozzle and I definitely avoid them.

But on the other hand, why Westerners use dry toilet paper is a mystery when baby wipes come in those nice little pop-up containers. They don't flush the paper in Mexico, it's really not that bad to toss it in a can rather than flush. It's better in a landfill than having to remove it from the sewage before recycling the water back into the tap.

But perhaps I've said too much....

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  01:17:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Pachomius

Once in the shower I saw some pieces of like liver sausage on the drainer hole of the floor; so I picked up a piece and it turned out to be excrement from the cat which probably could not get out so it did its thing on that precise spot as the most appropriate.
Pachomius

This conclusion about why the cat chose that spot is not supported by a sample size of one cat. My dogs both have their part of the yard they relieve themselves in. Big yard, but the doggie doo is always in the two far corners. Each dog has their own spot.

Now the male dog always marks the female's poo with his urine. I'm sure the cat covering its droppings and the male dog marking the stuff with his scent are related activities of territory, not of cleanliness or deodorizing the yard.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  01:22:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The Brick Testament has it covered!

Edited by - beskeptigal on 12/27/2006 01:23:13
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  03:14:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I love that about Yahweh moving about the military camp, making random inspections. God as a chickenshit CO.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  04:36:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I can barely [gag] wait for that.

Having stood outside the gorilla cage in London Zoo, and smelled it, I'd place my bet on... neither.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  08:23:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
I have 4 indoor cats. 3 are clean, use the litterbox, and cover it. The fourth, who was always a bit "off" uses the litterbox, but dosen't cover it. Fortunately, the alpha male can't stand it, and covers it for the "off" cat when it smells.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  14:29:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
My new nickname for Pachomius is John Madden.

John Madden:

"If uh, if uh, if uh the quarterback throws the bal and the, uh, reciever catches it in the endzone, that's uh, that's a touchdown."

Pachomius

"If uh, if uh, if uh a man takes a dump in the sand and then, uh, he covers it with the sand back on top of the sand pit, that's uh, that's uh, cleanlier."

Jokes aside, where are you going with this Pachomius? We all know where you were going with the hair thing, I Chorinthians 11:14.

P.S. I don't think we need Deuteronomy to tell us that shitting in the middle of the encampment is in poor taste.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Edited by - Neurosis on 12/27/2006 14:31:02
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  14:47:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
How very cleverly canine of Pachomius! Almost literally, he's shit on our lawn, then left.

Go to Top of Page

Pachomius
BANNED

62 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  21:13:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pachomius a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis . . . . .

Jokes aside, where are you going with this Pachomius? We all know where you were going with the hair thing, I Chorinthians 11:14.

P.S. I don't think we need Deuteronomy to tell us that shitting in the middle of the encampment is in poor taste.

I was not going to the direction of 1 Cor. 11:14 in that hair thread; honestly I was for being short on imagination at a loss what mankind did before the invention of shears, thought I could get some ideas from people here; and I am glad to have people telling me that hair will drop off eventually and not grow on and on like the sheep's wool.

Another question I asked, this time surgeons about, is what people who got eviscerated by swords in battles prior to the invention (tell me what is a better word) of surgery relied on to get healed. I asked a heart bypass surgeon one day, and he told me with impatient sardonic cynicism, "... they just buried them all together with the dead."

No, I have not come across any answer to that question either, up to the present; and every so often I would look up the web for some enlightenment, but to no avail.

About this wipe or wash thread, my direction is to the religious aspects of personal hygiene; and I thought that religions that are into personal hygiene 'religiously' contribute something very important to human enhancement than those that don't.

You see, many of the questions I ask in forums and for which also I get banned or come across people who literally hate me for them and instigated to get me thrown out, are ones which as kids and even as adults people don't want to mention; or more correctly kids are curious about but can't bring up without being stigmatized for gross impropriety.

Pachomius
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  21:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Another question I asked, this time surgeons about, is what people who got eviscerated by swords in battles prior to the invention (tell me what is a better word) of surgery relied on to get healed.
I doubt they relied on anything--back then it would have been almost universally a mortal wound. (I say "almost" because I'm sure there are at least a few cases of people healing up with portions of their stomachs/intestines protruding from their midsections.)

quote:
I asked a heart bypass surgeon one day, and he told me with impatient sardonic cynicism, "... they just buried them all together with the dead."
I doubt they buried living people. More likely they left the wounded on a bed to expire, or if on a battlefield, left out to succumb to the elements.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/28/2006 22:57:33
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  21:37:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

About this wipe or wash thread, my direction is to the religious aspects of personal hygiene; and I thought that religions that are into personal hygiene 'religiously' contribute something very important to human enhancement than those that don't.
Only if you assume that the religious edict came before the common-sense realization that pooping in camp is a bad idea.

On the other hand, what does it say about a people that the folks who related the religious laws deemed it necessary to tell people that it's God who says, "don't poop in camp?" In other words, I think you've got the whole thing backwards, Pachomius: the religions that lack hygeine rules were the ones developed by those who figured that good hygeine was obvious, and so didn't need to be "handed down by God."

And are you ever going to get around to the title of this thread?
quote:
You see, many of the questions I ask in forums and for which also I get banned or come across people who literally hate me for them and instigated to get me thrown out, are ones which as kids and even as adults people don't want to mention; or more correctly kids are curious about but can't bring up without being stigmatized for gross impropriety.
I can tell you from our collective experiences here that it's probably not the questions you ask that got you banned, it's your attitude. That's abudantly clear looking at the JREF threads about you.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.