Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  06:54:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Jeeze, this is pathetic.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  07:26:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Even though Dave pretty much trashed the argument that Tor makes in his film here (I did watch the whole thing. I actually found it to be amusing for the outlandish narration. Particularly the over-the-top-silly song at the end. In other words, I didn't take it seriously. But then, I like Dr. D.) but I want to know more about what Original Intent said here:

quote:

AmanhotepIV (Aman is Pleased) AKA Akhenaten.

Elevated the Aten (sun-disk) to a god. Not monotheastic, henotheistic with the new god Aten, who he also equated with his father, to the head of the pack. Around 1300 BC Not to be confused with Amun-Re.

Or

Amen (roughly "God who is trusted"), first written around 1400, but used previously in oral tradition.

Peace
Joe
Specifically, where'd you get your info? I'm just interested in the topic now.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  19:57:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Amanhotep/Akhenaten and the Aten..... I believe it was Durant's Our Oriental Heritage of all things, and not one of my mythology books. I am leary of a lot on the web. I like BBC history for browsing if I don't have a physical book in hand.

Amen - An old Jewsih aquanitence. He was noce to have around for all those strange questions I can come up with, like what Amen means....... I have heard the Amen from Amon-Ra, and from Amanhtep before, but it was in books with the eurocentric bend where Egyptians were of european heritage.

Henotheism - Worship of one god while accepting the existence of others. Hint: Don't call Judiasm a Henotheistic faith. They don't like it...... The answer I usually get is along hte lines of, well G_d killed Baal.......

Peace
Joe

Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  05:58:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

Henotheism - Worship of one god while accepting the existence of others. Hint: Don't call Judiasm a Henotheistic faith. They don't like it......
Perhaps that's because it's an inaccurate and childish characterization.

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Edited by - ConsequentAtheist on 01/11/2007 05:59:27
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  14:12:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
quote:
Henotheism - Worship of one god while accepting the existence of others. Hint: Don't call Judiasm a Henotheistic faith. They don't like it......

Exodus 18:11
Now I know that the LORD is greater than all other gods, for he did this to those who had treated Israel arrogantly."

Exodus 15:11
"Who among the gods is like you, O LORD ? Who is like you— majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders?

Numbers 33:4
who were burying all their firstborn, whom the LORD had struck down among them; for the LORD had brought judgment on their gods.

Deuteronomy 10:17
For the LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes.

I know that it is not the current belief that there are other gods besides Yaweh, however it is pretty clear that the OT writers did believe that there were other gods.

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:09:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist

quote:

Care to elaborate?

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:28:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
I have a suggestion for TOR. Why don't you post some of your arguments in the forums without all of the theatrics? The video route does not seem to be hitting home.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  17:01:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

quote:
quote:

I know that it is not the current belief that there are other gods besides Yaweh, however it is pretty clear that the OT writers did believe that there were other gods.

No doubt about it ...

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  17:14:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Care to elaborate?

Baiting Jews with the taunt of henotheism is as worthless and adolescent as is baiting chemists with the taunt of alchemy.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  19:30:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I gotta side with ConsequentAtheist on this henotheistic Jews thing. Obviously Judaism hasn't been henotheistic for a long time. Unless someone is denying that the ancient Jews were probably henotheistic, I don't see what the point of ribbing modern Jews over it is.

Lately I've been seeing a between-a-rock-and-hard-place trap some skeptics have been setting for religious folks. Some religious critics, such as Sam Harris in his book The End of Faith, criticize religion for remaining static, rather than progressing. But then often the same critics, including Harris, dismiss progressive religions which have changed dramatically to reflect social and scientific progress.

If a religious group here and now is to be criticized, it should be criticized for what it is and does here and now.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 01/11/2007 19:31:43
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  19:40:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

... Lately I've been seeing a between-a-rock-and-hard-place trap some skeptics have been setting for religious folks. Some religious critics, such as Sam Harris in his book The End of Faith, criticize religion for remaining static, rather than progressing. But then often the same critics, including Harris, dismiss progressive religions which have changed dramatically to reflect social and scientific progress.

If a religious group here and now is to be criticized, it should be criticized for what it is and does here and now.

Thank you, marfknox.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  20:43:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
Baiting Jews with the taunt of henotheism is as worthless and adolescent as is baiting chemists with the taunt of alchemy.

Hmm. It never occured to me that this was meant as taunting or baiting. I don't quite get why the henotheism comment was so bad when memebers frequently characterize religion as mythology, myself included.
I thought we were only soft on Buddhists.

edit spelling

Edited by - furshur on 01/11/2007 21:03:56
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  20:51:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur
Hmm. It never occured to me that this was meant as taunting or baiting. I don't quite get why the henotheism comment was so bad when memebers frequently caracterize religion as mythology, myself included.
I thought we were only soft on Buddhists.
Right. Jews already believe in one god, but implying they might believe in more than one is somehow demeaning to them? Why? It isn't like 1000 gods are somehow more improbable than 1 god existing.

I don't get it either. It's like admitting I believe in a unicorn, but getting pissed if someone described me as believing in unicorns.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/11/2007 20:53:45
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  22:30:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Care to elaborate?

LOL. It was more tounge-in-cheek, it just dosen't always translate well over the net.... But, hey, an atheist running to the defense of my Jewsih freinds (or any religion) is always nice to see......

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  22:35:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

I gotta side with ConsequentAtheist on this henotheistic Jews thing. Obviously Judaism hasn't been henotheistic for a long time. Unless someone is denying that the ancient Jews were probably henotheistic, I don't see what the point of ribbing modern Jews over it is.

Lately I've been seeing a between-a-rock-and-hard-place trap some skeptics have been setting for religious folks. Some religious critics, such as Sam Harris in his book The End of Faith, criticize religion for remaining static, rather than progressing. But then often the same critics, including Harris, dismiss progressive religions which have changed dramatically to reflect social and scientific progress.

Again, tounge-in-cheeck...

I have a respect for most religions, and do not taunt them.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds.