Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Are skepticism and Buddhism compatible? (Part 2)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  11:56:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Why has this continued into another thread? In fifteen pages he has yet to provide a single clairification or piece of supporting evidence. He has, however, stated explicitly that he has an opinion about the issue that, for him, requires no justification at all, and he is loathe to even present a case. In effect, he has Faith that skeptics are soft on Buddhism and thus cannot be challenged, even though this is a testable claim.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Pachomius
BANNED

62 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:03:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pachomius a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Note: I started this reply yesterday, but didn't finish it, so the first half was written when Kil's Post was the last one, and the rest after the replies from Dave, GeeMack, Tomk, Furshur, Pachomius, so I apologise if any of it is redundant.

quote:
Originally posted by Pachomius

So if I can bring up two skeptics who are soft on Buddhism, then the sentence, "Skeptics are soft on Buddhism," is true; I agree with

you perfectly.

Yes, it will be true, but I think that's a pretty trivial case to prove, and would not be the interpretation I would assume most people would have. If I made the argument that "Firefighters beleive in Reiki", I could probably prove the sentence true by finding two or more firefighters who happened to be beleivers in Reiki. It'd be a pretty pointless argument however, with several billion people wandering about, you can find a handful who will believe/say/do just about whatever takes your fancy.

My interpretation of the statement would include an implicit quantitative qualifier for "skeptics", something like "Most", "in general" or even "a significant proportion of" so that what is actually implied is something like:

"Most Skeptics are soft on Buddhism."

This statement I believe to be false. If your intention is simply to assert that there is more than one skeptic who is soft on Buddhism, then I am willing to concede the argument, without any further need to refine the definitions.

quote:

I feel happy and relieved, finally someone like McQ has come along, again; and please don't leave even though you might like McQ get

so disappointed and disillusioned here, that he said he would leave the forum

I honestly don't know how you've concluded a similarity between myself and McQ. I'm not implying that I'm in any way offended, I've read plenty of McQ's posts, and he may well be more concerned with the comparison than I. I don't get how you came to that conclusion, but it is really of little consequence.

I assure you however, that I have no intention of leaving the forum because of an argument on one topic, with or without harsh words. To be honest, the variety of opinions and styles is one of the things I really like about SFN.

quote:

I understand your mind, and as I said already twice that I agree perfectly with you, and I believe we have the same thinking.

I only agree with your statement in the very limited sense, as already discussed. I disagree with the statement as I believe most people would interpret it, as I've just pointed out. As to "knowing my mind" and "having the same thinking" these are fairly vague statements in this context, and I doubt they are true even in this limited sense.

quote:

I will now define what I mean by skeptics, soft, and Buddhism. Allow me to use a web resource like WordWeb:
May I assume that we have the same meanings of skeptics, soft, and Buddhism?

Not entirely.

I agree with Kil that scientific skepticism would probably be a better definition to use in this instance. The "general" definitions aren't too bad, but tend to be a little broad. The philosophical definition is a little, well, philosophical to be of great use in this discussion.

The first sentence from the "characteristics" subheading of the wikipedia definition linked to above is rather appropriate:

quote:
Like a scientist, a scientific skeptic aims to decide claims based on verifiability and falsifiability rather than accepting claims on faith, anecdotes, or relying on unfalsifiable categories.

This highlights the reason that the definitions of soft and Buddhism that you provided are usable, although soft is still a rather non-concise term.

For "soft", as has pointed out by Dave, a point of reference will be necessary. I assume that "soft compared with the way skeptics generally treat other religions, such as christianity" will be the sort of thing we can use, although I'm not offering this as a strict definition just yet.

For "Buddhism", the definition you provided is a reasonable one. I'd prefer to do a little more research first. My intent would be to keep the definition to one which applies to Buddhism in general, and does not include the individual practices, rituals and beleifs of various sects which are not common to all. As such, I would prefer to reference definitions from non-denominational sources. We can get into this more later as necessary.

quote:

From the fact that there are two skeptics we have so far found to be soft on Buddhism, we assume that there could be more and even many, as much as to justify us to draw a suspicion, a guess, a hazard, that is an opinion, that skeptics are soft on Buddhism, meaning generally -- because for that sentence to be an absolute statement of fact we have to seek out every skeptic and ascertain that they are all not one excluded soft on Buddhism, which task is impossible insofar as I Pachomius and you JohnOAS are concerned, being of limited time and resources.

One could use the same method, starting with "we have 2 skeptics who are not soft on Buddhism" and concluding that "Skeptics are not soft on buddhism", and this is important, "in general". The fact that exactly the same logic can be used to reach mutually exclusive conclusions demonstrates that the logic is fatally flawed.

If all you are intending to show is that at least two skeptics are soft on Buddhiism, then you'll get no argument from me, and this discussion is more or less over. If however, you are still positing that:

quote:

that skeptics are soft on Buddhism, meaning generally

Then you'll have to offer a better argument and provide some evidence, after settling on some more solid definitions.

quote:
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:22:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Wow! Pachomius actually thinks he has posted some evidence in these threads? He has not posted a link to it or anything but again, he is loathe to do so. He would much rather spend his time posting the same garbage over and over and over and over......

- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Go to Top of Page

Mojo

10 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  17:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mojo a Private Message
quote:

I have been getting the impression from skeptics' websites that all kinds of people who are supposedly intellectuals or rationalists or skeptics or atheists or against religions are treating Buddhism with kids' gloves.

Is that true? is that a fact?

Use the search links of the CSICOP and the JREF (James Randi Educational Foundation [dedicated to atheistic skepticism] for Buddhism and see if you can come up with more than the fingers of one hand findings of writings critical of Buddhism.

I asked once Pigliucci by email why? He said that it's because Buddhism and Buddhists don't antagonize the atheistic communities and their analogue groups.

Well, that is interesting, and as a matter of fact I have seen many who are out and out against theism and religion in general take up Buddhism, saying that it is not contrary if not in consonance with secular atheistic philosophies, including scientific skepticism.

First, is it true that the atheists communities and kindred groups treat Buddhism with kids' gloves?

Second, why? is it because Skepticism and Buddhism are compatible or not incompatible?

Pachomius

Since Pachomius has quoted his O/P from the original thread, we can look at it and decide whether he is in fact referring to just two skeptics when he opines that skeptics are soft on Buddhism.

In the first sentence he talks about "all kinds of people who are supposedly intellectuals or rationalists or skeptics or atheists or against religions". In the fourth sentence he isn't referring to a couple of skeptics: he talks about skeptical organisations. In the sixth sentence he quotes someone else's explanation in terms of "the atheistic communities". In the seventh sentence he says he has seen "many who are out and out against theism and religion in general take up Buddhism, saying that it is not contrary if not in consonance with secular atheistic philosophies, including scientific skepticism.

The next sentence is a question, one which the question following it implies has the answer "yes": "First, is it true that the atheists communities and kindred groups treat Buddhism with kids' gloves?"

It is apparent from his O/P that he is talking about skeptics in general.

"You got to use your brain" - McKinley Morganfield
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  17:16:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Pachomius, are you a native english speaker?
If you are, then what is your level of education?

"Skeptics are soft on Buddhism" is not the same as "some skeptics are soft on Buddhism" or "there are skeptics that are soft on Buddhism". Which implies that there are skeptics of this sort, but they are not representative of skeptics as a whole.

To say "Skeptics are soft on Buddhism" is to imply that a representative portion of skeptics are soft.
To that statement I have to disagree. I think you are wrong.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  17:21:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
"Skeptics are soft on Buddhism." Is an absolute. It means all unless otherwise noted.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  06:27:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Pachomius, since are opinions beyond discussion? Especially if they are fact-based, like the ones you are expressing. Your statement differs from opinions like "I like flowers" or "I think gravity sucks" because it is a statement that can be tested with the necessary qualifiers. When you qualify your opinion, like what you mean with 'soft' and what you are thinking of when saying 'skeptics' or 'buddhism', we can look at the evidence and see whether it holds up. Unfortunately, you flatly refuse at every turn to either qualify your statements or provide any evidence that would give us a glimpse on it.

Furthermore, when people say they disagree with you, you keep making statements contradicting them, fact statements. I have shown that in the last post I made in the previous thread. But alas, it was a contradictory opinion I had, and like you do with all opinions contradicting you, you flatly ignore it.

Do that as you want, but don't pretend that you are reasonable because you do that.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  13:58:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

For the record, I am just making a statement of opinion that skeptics are soft on Buddhism.
Fine. Did you come to this opinion due to some observations you made, or did you just pull this opinion out of thin air?

If the former, what observations led you to your opinion?

If the latter, then your opinion is just a fiction and so your second post on the subject was intensely rude.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Pachomius
BANNED

62 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  14:57:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pachomius a Private Message
Well, thanks, everyone for your reactions; they are, the reactions and also the persons, are interesting.

I will wait for JohnOAS' reply.

In the meantime, allow me to invite you to read the posts in part 1 of this thread from McQ; I read them again and I find them very edifying, he gives me the impression of a person which the Romans might call as one cultivating the quality or personal habit of mind and heart in the quote, Nequid nimis.

Pachomius
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  15:42:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W....

If the latter, then your opinion is just a fiction and so your second post on the subject was intensely rude.
Pachomius's obviously intentional failure to respond to so many of the direct questions in these threads has also been intensely rude. But in the spirit of giving him one more chance to redeem himself and demonstrate that he just might not be the troll which he has demonstrated himself to be...

Hey, Gerardo, is English your native language? Do you have some kind of known reading disability? Are you ever going to provide any sort of evidence or other substantiation for your opinion about skeptics being soft on Buddhism? And how about all those times you've blatantly ignored the questions and concerns posed here by the other members of the forum? Were you raised to be that kind of an asshole, or is being that kind of an asshole something you've spent some amount of time cultivating on your own?
quote:
Originally posted by Pachomius...

In the meantime, allow me to invite you to read the posts in part 1 of this thread from McQ; I read them again and I find them very edifying, he gives me the impression of a person which the Romans might call as one cultivating the quality or personal habit of mind and heart in the quote, Nequid nimis.
McQ accused everyone else here of being out of line in our assessment of your troll-like behavior. Quite obviously, if McQ was the only one to properly interpret your intent here, then you are completely incompetent in your ability to communicate clearly and effectively. It actually seems more likely that the problem in this case was McQ's inability to understand you. But it does beg the question, one more time, is English your native language, are you mentally ill or mentally retarded, or do you otherwise have some known deficiency in your communication skills?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  16:08:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, I specifically acknowledged that "skeptics are soft on Buddhism" is nothing more than Pachomius' opinion - a proposition he's spent a lot of time and effort trying to get us to accept - and still he refuses to reply to my questions. Meanwhile, he's waiting for John to reply, even though John has made it abudnantly clear that he will not be agreeing with Pachomius' two statements, and that John is also waiting for Pachomius to clarify his definitions.

Go figure.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Mojo

10 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  17:43:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mojo a Private Message
quote:

I've had this from him before...

It's not necessarily an attempt to get someone who agrees with him to respond, more of a simple attempt to avoid having to address what others have posted.

"You got to use your brain" - McKinley Morganfield
Edited by - Mojo on 01/12/2007 17:47:08
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  18:42:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Having just skimmed through part 2, why don't we just run with Pachomius' definitions and answer it?

Answer: We couldn't tell you. None of the people on this forum habitually doubt accepted beliefs. We typically only doubt things when the evidence is contrary to accepted belief. And perhaps when people make extraordinary claims without any evidence.

Most of us however, are not soft on Buddhism. We would treat it like any other religion should we ever have to discuss any particular point about it.

It's 2007! Let's move on to new topics!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  19:49:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo

quote:

I've had this from him before...

It's not necessarily an attempt to get someone who agrees with him to respond, more of a simple attempt to avoid having to address what others have posted.

As well as what JohnOAS has posted himself, one might add. For example, JohnOAS agreed with others that 'soft' was ill-defined, what was meant with 'skeptics' was ill-defined and agreeing that his definition of skeptism was not applicable. None of that has been addressed by Pachomius. Not that I'm surprised, apparantly directly (or even indirectly) addressing criticism (or even questions asking for clarification for that matter) is not a thing Pachomius does. He rather ignores it.

I have two gangster hats I used for blues brother's acts. If Pachomius will ever address any relevant criticisms, give clarification or (heaven forbid) come up with some evidence, I'll eat them. Both. Raw and without any sauce to give them some flavor.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  21:31:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
McQ said he was going to stay out of this thread, and so I'd appreciate it greatly if we leave him out of this thread. Make note of this, Pachomius, JohnOAS, and you too GeeMack. Not one more mention of his name until such a time as he chooses to re-enter this alleged discussion.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.