Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  09:18:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
When they make a little tiny 4x4 that gets 1,000 mpg and can tow a boat, then I would hope you'd switch.

In a heart beat.

I've actually been looking at different "green" options lately.

I've priced out solar panels. I've looked into wind power, and I've considered the possibility of going with a 100% electric vehicle for my (short) commute to work.

So far the start up costs have been prohibitive. If trends continue these things might be doable (some of them) in the near future.

I even chopped wood (for the first time ever) last season.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  11:34:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People can hardly be faulted for demanding practicality. For short-to-intermediate-range use, lithium battery vehicles are now practical, except for the extremely high cost of the batteries themselves.

Hopefully, that price will come down. More importantly yet, we need better "battery" technology. We have all the other technology ready. With breakthrough energy storage, electrics could beat ICE vehicles in every regard, overnight. In the meantime, hypermiling one's old fossil-burner makes good sense, and can be a fun pursuit at the same time.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  13:29:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by astropin

I bought a scooter that I get excellent mileage from (95mpg).
And I'm going to convert my car to run on E85 (ethanol). Swedish ethanol is imported from Brazilian sugar canes, and reduces the fossile carbon footprint by 60%.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  13:41:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I bought a scooter that I get excellent mileage from (95mpg).
And I'm going to convert my car to run on E85 (ethanol). Swedish ethanol is imported from Brazilian sugar canes, and reduces the fossile carbon footprint by 60%.

Yeah, unfortunately I picked a bad time to sell my motorcycle (2 years ago). But then again a scooter would not suit my needs very well. The weather here is not the greatest. Winters are looooong and harsh. Need something I can at least climb inside of.....and has heat.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  14:55:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, unfortunately I picked a bad time to sell my motorcycle (2 years ago). But then again a scooter would not suit my needs very well. The weather here is not the greatest. Winters are looooong and harsh. Need something I can at least climb inside of.....and has heat.
Yeah, but your (present) sig says: "I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  17:34:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's something that could make hypermiling a moot point:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/09/volkswagen-l1-concept/

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/09q3/volkswagen_l1_concept-auto_shows

With one of these I could make Prius owners feel guilty!

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  19:31:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of cars, I came this close to buying a new one yesterday. My car had transmission problems, and I was expecting a repair bill of $2000 or more. Turned out to be much less than that, but still I was trying to prepare for the car-buying experience and was getting pretty disappointed.

The only new-car buying I've done so far was done stupidly, without any research. So I was trying to do some comparison shopping the night before last, and discovered that when dealerships had online, searchable inventory, they only had one or two of the cars I was looking for, and they were always the loaded models costing the most. Even Carmax was asking for only about $1,000 under MSRP for cars with almost 50,000 miles on them.

So what am I doing wrong? Am I going to have to order a car to get what I want for the price I want?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  20:39:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You just need to know the sticker price for the car you want with the features you want. Have your financing taken care of ahead of time. The pre-financing is probably the most important thing. But know the price ahead of time and lowball that. If they don't accept it, walk away. They'll call you a few days later. Also, go towards the end of the month. The cars on the lot are the ones they want to move. Not the ones that are ordered because they know those are bought and paid for.

So, know how much the car is sold for. Have your own financing. Be willing to walk away if they won't meet the price you know they will.

@

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  20:45:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by @tomic

Be willing to walk away if they won't meet the price you know they will.
Okay, this part I really don't get. How am I supposed to know how much they're willing to let a car go for? I know that final home prices are a matter of public record, but how do I find out how much cars will sell for below the MSRP? Interview a boatload of prior customers?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  20:56:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the car. How expensive is it and how many of that model do they sell. This article has some good advice. Do assume that plenty of profit is built into the MSRP and that you should at the very least not exceed or even meet it. I would expect to pay at least $1000 below sticker in this market with my own financing.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/strategies/articles/45993/article.html

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  10:00:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Okay, this part I really don't get. How am I supposed to know how much they're willing to let a car go for? I know that final home prices are a matter of public record, but how do I find out how much cars will sell for below the MSRP? Interview a boatload of prior customers?

I recommend this Consumer Reports Car Buying Advice link.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  10:19:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by R.Wreck

I recommend this Consumer Reports Car Buying Advice link.
I think this is the best way. For a small fee (I think $15? $20?) Consumer Reports can tell you (via an email) how much the dealers actually paid for a car. For the Honda Civics I was looking at (about 18 months ago), I estimated that the dealers where I was were asking about $1000 more than their buying price. This gives you an idea of where to start. And since you live near a major metropolitan area, you probably have lots of dealer options within a reasonable driving distance.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.