Creation/Evolution
 AIG upgrading their flood model
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  13:13:51  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For once, I beat filthy to the punch.

Time for an Upgrade?

I'd say f** yeah, it's time for an upgrade.

I will, on the other hand, let him dish out any juicy quotes from that uh, article.

I'll just leave you with one.

Of course, that isn't to say that CPT has all the answers or has solved every problem. Outstanding questions remain, such as how to explain the removal of the heat that would have been generated by the rapid breakup of the continents. However, I've come to think that the issues facing CPT are not insoluble and, in fact, they suggest some interesting avenues for further research. To me, the CPT model has the greatest potential to bring together information from a variety of scientific fields, including geology, geophysics, paleontology, and climatology, in a full-fledged model of the global Flood.

At least he's not relying on Vardiman's "goddit" idea for heat removal.

Thing is, real science has pretty much dealt with it; normal geologists don't have the amount of problems trying to explain the earth's geology that these guys do.

One thing they'll never do is the one thing they should do, which is to abandon the "biblical model".

The evidence is against it. Hope they have fun shoehorning...

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 09/02/2008 13:14:49

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  14:36:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They do s them some Flood, don't they? This is some of the best apologetics I've seen -- Bravo!!

And yet, it's typical: start with a conclusion, shape the evidence to fit it, and failing that, make shit up. I've never heard of "catastrophic plate tectonics" before and I rather doubt anyone else has either. Until now.

"THE MISSING PIECE—A Creationist Perspective
Continents plowing through the ocean floor? How geologists came to accept this radical idea is one of the most interesting stories in modern science. But the evidence became overwhelming with the development of new instruments to study the ocean floor.

Recent discoveries have left geologists with new puzzles. For example, deep in the earth's mantle are pieces of cold plates that apparently came from the earth's surface. How could these cold plates sink slowly through the hot mantle (up to 7232°F), over millions of years, without “melting”? In their search for answers, conventional geologists are hindered by a belief that the earth's plates have been moving at current, slow rates (1–2 inches per year) for millions of years.

Creationists, on the other hand, know from the data of Scripture that the earth has only been around a few thousand years. Using the Bible's history as their starting point, these scientists were ready to take the theory of continental movement to the next level. They worked out a theory, called catastrophic plate tectonics. CPT included the best parts of the earlier theories but added speed. Recent studies of granite have shown that silicate rock, under stress, can weaken by a factor of a billion or more. This means that, under the right conditions, the continental plates could move a billion times faster than today. The Flood provided the necessary conditions.

CPT explains many problems that are a puzzle in conventional plate tectonics. For example, how did plates ever have enough energy to drive their way down through the mantle layers, which currently prevent plates from moving any lower? Also, how could cold crust material sink to the earth's core without melting? The answer is to speed things up in a catastrophic, global Flood!"

Ok, let's look at this. The CPT event took place less than 6000 years ago, right? I submit that, like the Flood itself, the evidence would be overwhelming and unmistakable. It wouldn't take a PhD in geology to see that much tectonic movement in the confused jumble of mountain ranges, far wider than those of today, due to plate edge bending and destruction. And there is the simple fact that very little life could survive the plates moving/colliding billions of times faster than current. Can you imagine tectonic plates colliding at Top Fuel speeds (or maybe faster, I dunno, but you get the picture)?

Must I remind this guy that tectonic plate collision causes earthquakes? And earthquakes cause tsunamis? And Noah's overloaded bucket had a barge's hull?

I don't know anything about cold plate being discovered in the Mantle, but suspect it is more of the above. I'll look it up, though.

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy; can't you lead your children away from the sin of speculative mendacity?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  15:27:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I see that I forgot to include volcanism in the above. My bad. It would have been beyond belief, choking the earth with hydrogen sulfide and other gasses as fissures into the mantle opened explosively.

Anyhow, I found this: "The Earth's Interior

Just as a child may shake an unopened present in an attempt to discover the contents of a gift, so man must listen to the ring and vibration of our Earth in an attempt to discover its content. This is accomplished through seismology, which has become the principle method used in studying Earth's interior. Seismos is a Greek word meaning shock; akin to earthquake, shake, or violently moved. Seismology on Earth deals with the study of vibrations that are produced by earthquakes, the impact of meteorites, or artificial means such as an explosion. On these occasions, a seismograph is used to measure and record the actual movements and vibrations within the Earth and of the ground.

Scientists categorize seismic movements into four types of diagnostic waves that travel at speeds ranging from 3 to 15 kilometers (1.9 to 9.4 miles) per second. Two of the waves travel around the surface of the Earth in rolling swells. The other two, Primary (P) or compression waves and Secondary (S) or shear waves, penetrate the interior of the Earth. Primary waves compress and dilate the matter they travel through (either rock or liquid) similar to sound waves. They also have the ability to move twice as fast as S waves. Secondary waves propagate through rock but are not able to travel through liquid. Both P and S waves refract or reflect at points where layers of differing physical properties meet. They also reduce speed when moving through hotter material. These changes in direction and velocity are the means of locating discontinuities."

Evidently, Mr. Garner cherry-picked articles similiar to this one for his conjecture. His writing reads quite well, but the conjecture won't float any better than the good ship Ark did.

In short, if nothing else, Ockham's Razor states that secular science has the simplest and best explanation, and in this case, the only explanation supported by the available evidence.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  01:45:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of rapidly-moving plates.

In fact, some years ago I considered writing a story about it. The idea was that seismologists got a hold of a super-slick lubricating material, and tried injecting it deep into California's San Andreas Fault to relieve the friction that was keeping it locked. Thus, they hoped to prevent "the big one" from developing.

Problem was, this new slippery stuff was so good, it spread like tectonic WD-40 along a whole series of faults, culminating in most of the Pacific Plate breaking off in a perfect circle. Then the Pacific Plate began spinning counter-clockwise at Interstate Highway speeds. My story was supposed to be humorous, and was going to deal with the positive effects of this situation on trade and the tourism industry around the Pacific rim.

But now there's no use writing the story, because AiG's idea is much funnier.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  03:56:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I like the idea of rapidly-moving plates.

In fact, some years ago I considered writing a story about it. The idea was that seismologists got a hold of a super-slick lubricating material, and tried injecting it deep into California's San Andreas Fault to relieve the friction that was keeping it locked. Thus, they hoped to prevent "the big one" from developing.

Problem was, this new slippery stuff was so good, it spread like tectonic WD-40 along a whole series of faults, culminating in most of the Pacific Plate breaking off in a perfect circle. Then the Pacific Plate began spinning counter-clockwise at Interstate Highway speeds. My story was supposed to be humorous, and was going to deal with the positive effects of this situation on trade and the tourism industry around the Pacific rim.

But now there's no use writing the story, because AiG's idea is much funnier.

Heh, you did the right thing, to hang that one up. Where scientific humor concerned, Anguish Answers in Genesis is second to none!

But consider; this nonsense is not intended for me & thee, nor anyone else who won't allow some third party to think for them. It is aimed at those who make repeated visits the their Creation Museum and tour it each time with spit on their chins, and vote Republican.

As stated, this is a fine work of apologetics. It is quite well written and formatted, and almost exaustively illustrated. It would be impressive as hell to someone with little if any science education and a predisposition for dem two ol' debbels: Faith & Belief.

I wonder what they'll do for an encore.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/03/2008 06:38:10
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  11:22:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, at least he is trying to think. That's much better than most Creationists who don't accept the existence (or understand the meaning) of a geologic column.

Unfortunately, the entire page reads like a geologic thought experiment. No actual data is considered, no real evidence is provided. But perhaps this is just the first step. Thing is, with Creationists, they typically don't do anything but the first step. Only time will tell...

And of course, he doesn't consider the counter evidence to his claim. On the sea floor in the Atlantic Ocean, the magnetic poles in the rocks switch back and forth, and this is reflected symmetrically across the mid-Atlantic ridge. This shows that not only the plates have been moving at approximately the same speed for a long period of time ( > 1 million years) but also that the magnetic poles of Earth reverse every couple of hundred of thousands of years.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.