Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  03:13:34  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Downloading now...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  04:55:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Downloaded, now have to wait 6 hours for EA to unlock it...

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  07:32:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They created a mac version but it's not for download. Also you have to have an intel duo and leopard. I have both, but lots of users on older macs will be screwed or have to wait. Probably they are just screwed.

One thing that comes to mind is that with mac running intel, games like spore will be much more available for mac because they only requires some OS tweaking rather than having to create versions from the ground up, which means games for mac are worth the extra trouble in development. I can't doubt that Apple had that benefit in mind at least in part when they made their change to intel based processors. And that means a lot more games for mac.

Not that I care that much, but I might be interested in Spore which never would have been developed for mac without the platform changes.

Good news for gammers considering a mac. The lack of games has, in the past, been the single most stated reason, at least by gammers and their parents, for not buying a mac. I fully expect to see most future game releases come with mac versions.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  07:40:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife pre-ordered Spore for me last fall as an Xmas gift (before the last delay). I wonder when it's going to show up in my mailbox...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  08:13:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
Good news for gammers considering a mac. The lack of games has, in the past, been the single most stated reason, at least by gammers and their parents, for not buying a mac. I fully expect to see most future game releases come with mac versions.

Yes, that and the closed hardware architecture are what holds me back. I would be running Linux full time on my PC if it wasn't for a few games I like to play.

Maybe once I get an Xbox360 (I plan on this once Netflix has come out for it and the streaming movies bugs are worked out), I can move my PC full time to a Linux OS.

2 hours to go...

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  08:42:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:( My current computer would not handle it...

But it will be top on my list when I upgrade!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  08:46:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A review from the NY Times...
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  13:00:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where does one download it? Can't find a d/l on the official Spore site.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/07/2008 13:01:12
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  13:15:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Click "Add to cart" and choose digital.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  17:39:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have little doubt that pleco, right now (well beyond two more hours), is sitting in a puddle of his own filth, with any family or friends who dared interrupt safely bound and gagged and stashed in the closet.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  05:45:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I held off playing until after the Saints played football yesterday. I've played a bit, made it through the cell stage rather easily, now stuck in the creature stage. Seem to be having a hard time evolving as fast as the other creatures on the planet...now I'm off to work before I try again.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  05:56:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slacker.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  07:06:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Slacker.

No doubt.

The graphics are pretty amazing in this game if you have the right hardware. I happen to have a DX10 compatible Nvidia card, so it looks nice and I can run a max resolution and everything is very smooth.

Naturally, I didn't read the manual or any other documentation, but I think that someone can pick up the game rather easily like this.

You can choose at the start to be a meat eater or plant eater, but can then evolve your creature to be an omnivore if you choose. I chose meat eater, which I now see has some drawbacks since your food supply is limited if you don't evolve enough attack capabilities.

Also, there are several huge creatures that are god-like that occasionally come by and wreak havoc. Best strategy is to run away.

I think when I play again, I will start over and choose a different path. Plus I don't like how my creature looks, so I choose to smite him/her.

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 09/08/2008 07:07:27
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  07:17:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Originally posted by Kil

Yes, that and the closed hardware architecture are what holds me back. I would be running Linux full time on my PC if it wasn't for a few games I like to play.

Right on. Unfortunately for me, I'm rather fond of some Microsoft games such as Age of Empires. Alas.

I wonder if I can browbeat my hardware into running Spore. *cracks fingers*

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  07:19:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

Originally posted by Kil

Right on. Unfortunately for me, I'm rather fond of some Microsoft games such as Age of Empires. Alas.

I used to try to get Wine to run some games. Always had mixed results, and it definitely didn't work with the newer games. That's when I gave up with Linux at home for now. (FWIW, I manage several Linux servers at work along with Windows servers. Both have plus and minus, and both run quite well)

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  12:56:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Siberia

Originally posted by Kil

I used to try to get Wine to run some games. Always had mixed results, and it definitely didn't work with the newer games. That's when I gave up with Linux at home for now. (FWIW, I manage several Linux servers at work along with Windows servers. Both have plus and minus, and both run quite well)

Mm, that's a possibility. There's also the fact I like to use Photoshop, so, yeah. Might as well just switch to Mac and get over it, heh.

(I used to run Linux virtually together with Windows 2003 over XP. yay for college projects.)

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.