Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  08:58:33  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls/

Is this Country really that F'ing stupid? Were can I move to to be amongst my peers?

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  09:05:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, makes no sense. The vast majority think the country is going in the wrong direction, yet McCain and Obama are tied (more or less). Well, we should wait until the afterglow of the conventions is gone...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  09:23:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd sadly think that the Rovian's political machine is as effective as ever.

Democrats need to get more offensive!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  09:04:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very discouraged this morning. From MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26632984/)

"Dominant themes trump facts
John Feehery, a Republican strategist, said the campaign is entering a stage in which skirmishes over the facts are less important than the dominant themes that are forming voters' opinions of the candidates."

I'm discouraged because I think he may be right. The facts don't matter as much as some vague general idea people develop about the candidates, and the Republicans seem much more willing to lie to create the "theme" they want, about themselves and their opponents. And it seems to be working. It seems that most people don't check up on what they say, otherwise they would be outraged at the lie that Obama would, say, raise their taxes when in reality they would get a bigger tax cut under Obama's plan then McCain's. Its not like the information is not out there. Geeeezzzz!!

I'm discouraged because I think the Democrats are the better choice, again, but will lose because of Republican lies, again.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  09:17:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And what are the God damned media fucking doing about it!

That's their job to point at all the lies and inconsistencies! What isn't all over the fucking place!

I am getting worried guys; seriously!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  10:14:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An interesting strategy by the McPalin camp has become clear. Wherever they go, McCain and Palin are going to campaign together. Knowing that McCain is not a great speaker, the show opens with Palin and, in fact, she seems to be doing most of the talking at their campaign stops. They do the “Maverick” themed speeches and their talking points have not changed since the convention. That is to say, it's a pep rally, short on substance and long on the kind of meaningless happy talk rhetoric that has worked for them in the past. Basically, they are going to throw all the bums out. The chant is “pork barrel” and “earmark” “pork barrel” and “earmark” “pork barrel” and “earmark” throw the bums out.

Palin keeps repeating the same lies about things like “the bridge to nowhere” and they eat it up. She, like another cheerleader for the party that I can think of is apparently covered in Teflon and can make up any shit she wants too. Plus, the press has no access to her.

Obama wants to and is talking about issues. Issues are not particularly peppy to voters who like the promise of a good ass-kicking no matter what the reality is. Ass-kicking, even more than “change” is at the heart of the McPalin snake oil medicine show. Americans love a good ass-kicking.

Plus, Obama can't really go after Palin because it generally regarded as bad politics for a presidential candidate to be campaigning against a vice presidential candidate. A dilemma for Obama because by stumping together, and with Palin getting more mike time, they really have become “McPalin.”

In a nutshell, the McPalin camp's strategy is brilliant. Republican strategists understand exactly how to appeal to the American's sense of machismo, and how to get them to bypass a consultation with their brains. Thinking is for elitist wimps. Ass-kicking is for real Americans.

Unless the media pulls its thumb out, or unless the Democrats win decisively at the debates, we're screwed.

Our best hope beyond the debates is a very large turnout of young people, who are not really counted as likely voters in the polls, but support Obama, generally.

Of course, anything can happen, but as it stands, I am very worried.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  10:26:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's just unbelievable....well not really...BUT IT SHOULD BE!

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Vic Daring

49 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  10:43:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vic Daring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The media, I think, gets nervous and self-conscious about the "liberal media" label. So they hesitate to ask tough questions, point out errors/lies, etc.

McCain and the GOP know this (they created the premise, after all) and they use it.

But you can overplay any hand, though, and they have already done so. We'll see in the coming days.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  11:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These guys are fucking shameless.

They are playing as dirty as it gets!

As for the 'pork-barrel' and 'earmark' refrains, we need somebody to point out how untrue that is.
Yesterday, CNN diffused a segment on the aerial gunning of wolves. It's a start, except that we heard the Palin's message and witnesses on how the 'loves the outdoors' more than the scientists that explain that her policy was abysmal and no explanation about what Palin got wrong...

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  11:15:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Vic Daring

The media, I think, gets nervous and self-conscious about the "liberal media" label. So they hesitate to ask tough questions, point out errors/lies, etc.

McCain and the GOP know this (they created the premise, after all) and they use it.

But you can overplay any hand, though, and they have already done so. We'll see in the coming days.
Well, it would be nice if the press and media could get access to Palin. I think the lack of access is a scandal of its own, and the press should start demanding access.

It would be smart of Biden started calling the McPalin camp on the lack of access to Palin.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Vic Daring

49 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  11:35:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vic Daring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
Well, it would be nice if the press and media could get access to Palin. I think the lack of access is a scandal of its own, and the press should start demanding access.

Indeed. The good news is that they seem to be collectively realizing that they're being played.

It would be smart of Biden started calling the McPalin camp on the lack of access to Palin.

It should be one of his first points he makes at every interview he does for the duration.

They could do a "Where's Waldo" spoof or something.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  12:41:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a brillent strategy indeed, but like Vic, I think they're over-playing it. McCain is quite litterally using Pslin as a shield and the question there is: how much longer can he hide behind her skirts like a wuss?

We shall see.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  14:02:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rove is working for McCain. This should come as no surprise since McCain's total sellout to the neocons.

Unless the dems get as good at the same game, they will lose.

So far, I'm not seeing it. I'm not saying that they need to go negative, or need to invent things whole cloth (like McCain/Palin are doing), but they need to learn spin control.

And they have about a week to learn it.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  14:52:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

how much longer can he hide behind her skirts like a wuss?

THAT'S SEXIST! How dare you use that language against the progressive, pro women's lib party that is the GOP!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  19:34:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

"respect and deference" first. That should only take about 55 days or so.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  20:46:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The media are not mrely in the tank for the Republicans, they are in it so deep that Bob Ballard would have a very hard time locating them.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.