Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  07:52:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... one last desperate gigantic Hail Mary?

I don't think it would work.
Palin is not credible enough, I think, and Rudy would not gather nearly as much sympathy.

They might try, if they think they are going to loose anyway, but I would be really surprised.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  09:04:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Someone on some other blog (I forget) thinks that the "October surprise" will be McCain bowing out of the race due to health issues, leaving Palin to pick up the reins. The person thinks that that will trigger millions of sympathy votes.

I don't think the Republican party has any obligation to make Palin their presidential candidate if McCain were unable to continue through to election day, though. Wouldn't it be more likely, if McCain were to keel over tomorrow, for the party big-wigs to say, "okay, Rudy [or whoever], it's your turn now," and show Palin the door?

So that would be conspiracy theory #3....force McCain out right now and insert Palin or "whoever" as a last hoorah. ....No....I don't see that one happening.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  11:21:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

the "October surprise" will be McCain bowing out of the race due to health issues,
Does this fantastical scenario assume real health problems for McCain, or the Party (Cheney) forcing him to quit?

1. If McCain had a recurrence of melanoma or a real heart attack, and Palin was to succeed to the nomination, the press and public outcry would be deafening. Her success is truly only with the cognitive-challenged Republican right wing-nuts and the Party Control Room that pulls Bush's strings and would love to attach the marionette strings to Palin's palpitating perky parts!

I really don't think it would sell to the electorate and would result in an even greater Obama landslide than we're going to get with a "healthy" McCain!

2. Assume a mandate from master manipulator Cheney to McCain - Quit!, that's an order. Fake heart trouble, we'll bribe a few doctors and a hospital, we own plenty of them! We'll run Rudy or Mitt, whoever agrees to shut up and take orders!

McCain, being 72, cancerous, hot-tempered, full of himself, and really not any too far in the neocon hip pocket, is likely to tell
Cheney to go fuck himself (a phrase C has heard before from his own lips) and refuse to quit. Then they would have to kill him, and they probably would!

With the current apparent magical rise in the collective IQ of the American people as shown by recent polls, the murder would likely be investigated and Cheney might join OJ in the slammer - oh my god, a consummation devoutly to be wished! These are dreams, of course, but when you get to be 80 (this week), dreams are about all you've got left!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  11:34:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the "October Surprise", at least for the Republicans, is that their same old shit isn't working this time.

Partly due to the elephant in the room, I still won't be comfortable until I see Obama leading with double digits, or wins the election without going double.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  15:26:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil is right. Nobody is smart to "relax" until Obama comes up over ten percent ahead in every single poll and up to 15-18 in some of them.

I am not relaxing. I have doubled my DNC and special interest groups contributions (geared largely now to electing Democratic senators and representatives) and intend to continue until Election day, despite the fact that I have taken horrendous paper losses in the past few weeks (well into six figures).

I am on the phone every evening, (even tho' it's hopeless in Idaho, I want to build the popular vote for Obama as high as possible!) If any of you are donating time or money to The Cause of wiping out every possible vestige of our current Dear Leader, W., please keep it up until November!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  17:18:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
October suprise..... I can think of a couple of good ones.

F'instance: As Bush is now despised by everyone including not a few conservatve, religious folks, he is no longer relevant. If he were to croak with, say, 7.65X30mm malice aforethought, Cheney could call the election (martial law) and appoint the president. He wouldn't take it himself as it would require his occasionally being out in the sunlight.

F'instance & easier & probably cheaper in the short term: A quarter ton of some form of RDX, or TNT, going off in any big, coastal city with a few Muslim artifacts found at the blast site could accomplish the same thing.

Or, and perhaps best yet: Obama could catch the 7.65X39mm ill-tempered argument. It could be blamed on the Klan, or some other batch of Hitler wannabes that everybody else loaths, and give Bush a chance to flex his muscles, thereby pumping up McCain as he now runs against Biden.

Y'know, only a few years ago, I'd have laughed at such sanguine nonsense. But having seen our current administration in action, I ain't laughin' no more.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  17:38:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if Ben Laden makes another pre-election video appearance denouncing McCain and endorsing Obama?

The reasoning here is that Ben Laden would welcome a war-mongering McCain/Palen presidency since McCain's resulting Bush doctrine wars and intrusions in the Muslim world would greatly enhance terrorist recruitment.

The last thing Al-Qaeda wants is an intelligent, tension defusing, diplomatic Obama presidency backed up by Obama's surgically precise military muscle, and a US economy on the road to recovery. So he endorses Obama knowing he'd infuriate enough low-brow voters to vote for McCain.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  18:53:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah; that would certainly help the GOP.

The personnal and vicious attacks are to be expected.

By the way; do you know that, during the 2004 elections, an italian secretary of state sayed that Bin Laden would vote for George Bush? Because Bush's misguided policy in Iraq and elsewhere really helped Al Qaida...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  18:57:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a related note; here is two articles; interesting side by side as it allows to draw comparizons between the two women.

(Personally, I think that Michelle Obama would be more qualfied as a VP than Palin).

Carl Sagan - 1996
Edited by - Simon on 10/08/2008 18:58:52
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:08:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

What if Ben Laden makes another pre-election video appearance denouncing McCain and endorsing Obama?

The reasoning here is that Ben Laden would welcome a war-mongering McCain/Palen presidency since McCain's resulting Bush doctrine wars and intrusions in the Muslim world would greatly enhance terrorist recruitment.

The last thing Al-Qaeda wants is an intelligent, tension defusing, diplomatic Obama presidency backed up by Obama's surgically precise military muscle, and a US economy on the road to recovery. So he endorses Obama knowing he'd infuriate enough low-brow voters to vote for McCain.
That occurred to me, to, but unlike you, I didn't want Osama to think about it.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  10:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

October suprise..... I can think of a couple of good ones.

Or, and perhaps best yet: Obama could catch the 7.65X39mm ill-tempered argument. It could be blamed on the Klan, or some other batch of Hitler wannabes that everybody else loaths, and give Bush a chance to flex his muscles, thereby pumping up McCain as he now runs against Biden.

You can be quite sure it will be attempted after the election.....and possibly by a real klan member. It's one of my wife's biggest fears. She thinks the country will rally around Obama only to see him killed....bringing an even darker cloud over this nation.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  10:14:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well; security has made a lot of progress since 1963 so, hopefully, it won't come to that...

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  10:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Well; security has made a lot of progress since 1963 so, hopefully, it won't come to that...

So have weapons.

Unfortunately just one highly motivated nut job can probably still do a lot of damage in todays world. Hope it does not happen....but he will have to be extra cautious.

Atheism:

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  10:33:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

That occurred to me, to, but unlike you, I didn't want Osama to think about it.

Unlike me? I don't want him to spout his idiotic violent bullshit either. I based the conspiracy theory on the fact that he made an appearance in 2004 and that might have slightly enhanced voting toward Bush, though Rove's attacks on Kerry, Kerry's unresponsiveness to attacks, massive election fraud and uncounted votes in key states probably were the major contributor's to Bush's victory.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  10:41:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

Unlike me?
HalfMooner obviously knows that Osama bin Laden reads the SFN every day.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.