Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  18:54:55  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tonight's presidential debate:

1. McCain, when he says "my friends", sounds fucking creepy.

2. McCain is also sounding condescending. He has this forced hush to his tone, I guess he is trying to come across as thoughtful or humble, but it sounds dickish to me.

I put the first debate between them at a tie. Obama has cleaned up his "uhhhs and aaahhhs", he has agreed with McCain much less often. At the one hour point McCain is, imo, getting his clock cleaned.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  19:38:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The debate is just over... McCain does not do inspirational very well.

Obama did kicks McCain old wrinkled ass and I think and he was much better at defending himself.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  19:40:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did McLame just avoid shaking Obama's hand?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  21:15:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

He's afraid that stuff comes off...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  21:27:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe he is afraid of catching 'the black'.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  22:07:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pundits on CNN and MSNBC (some of whom are actually pretty good in my opinion,) and their various surveys of "undecided voters" have Obama scoring on questions of foreign policy, the crashing economy and health care. Obama also zapped McCain's snide attacks on his experience and character. Obama was more presidential and cool under fire.

Faux News was the hilarious anomaly, their call-in surveyed followers placing McCain ridiculously far ahead.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  01:08:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This debate was an Obama victory, IMO.

The CNN poll is running:

Sen. John McCain 17% 35230
Sen. Barack Obama 79% 165842
No clear winner 5% 9482
Terrible results for McCain!

Again, I think this unscientific poll as of who won the debate is actually more about who people want to see as president, than about the debate itself. But this indicates the accelerating shift to Obama. McCain is toast.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/08/2008 01:09:19
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  02:43:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to read the transcripts of these things so as to get the meat of it without the candidate's act & personality obfuscating the matter. But even without the read on this one, I'd say McCain got skint.

McCain put forth too many platitudes and talking points, and I think that if he'd called me "his friend" a few more times, I'd of thrown something at the toob, probably the cat. He did not present well, although he could have. As Dude mentioned, he had an unctuous quality to his voice that would have worked well in a Peter Lorie flick but not in a public address. As stated: "creepy."

Obama was much more concise and managed, for the most part, to avoid platitudes & campaign rhetoric. And, as predicted, he stumbled & stuttered a lot less than in the first hoedown. He not only said that "we can do it," but put forth at least the bones of a plan(s) as well, something McCain did much less of beyond stuff we've already heard. Few real particulars.

I was impressed by the way Obama thinks on the fly. He is a very quick study.

Simon is correct, McCain did indeed refuse Obama's hand. And furthermore, he split as fast as he could get off the stage, not hanging around to visit with the audience, as did the Obamas.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/08/2008 03:55:15
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  03:02:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the polls are in......

{{{{DRUDGE POLL}}}} WHO WON THE SECOND PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE?...

MCCAIN

64% 107,644
OBAMA

32% 54,581
NEITHER

4% 6,039

Total Votes: 168,264

And now I must go off and hide in the closet. It is unseemly to giggle hysterically in public.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  04:04:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That was terrible. Along with referring to his fellow Senator as "that one," I really do think McCain has expressed both his personal racism and signalled racists in general that he's one of the "good ol' boys."

I also believe that McCain is a spiteful and vindictive man who never forgets nor forgives anyone who ever crosses him. (I think this is why he has Karl Rove's lackey Steve Schmidt on his staff, but not Rove himself. Rove did nasty things to John during his 2000 campaign for president, and John just can't stand him.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/08/2008 04:34:43
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  04:47:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Tonight's presidential debate:

1. McCain, when he says "my friends", sounds fucking creepy.

I'm so with you on that. He said it way too much and it didn't sound like he actually meant freinds. He was saying something more like - "Dummies, now listen to me...."

I noticed he didn't mention "Maverick" once, thank the gods. Does he ever refer to himself as the maverick the way his innane running mate does? I don't think I've ever heard him say it.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  05:23:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who wants to vote for either of these clowns. The first thing McCain says is that he wants the government to spend more of our money to buy bad mortgages and reduce the principle on them. Maybe I heard wrong but what?

Neither clown could follow the rules that their campaigns agreed to, no wonder our government cannot follow its own rules.

Nothing new was said, both clowns distorted the other clowns views and policies while only talking about the points in their own plans that they think we would like.

If you are rich or poor in this country do these clowns have anything to offer you? All they talk about is "main street". Does all this country care abnout is money? I agree things are bad, and need to be addressed but there are still homeless, poor, hungry and sick in this country that has never been addressed in this campaign by any clown running for president. I am concerned about my money and how it will impact my job and how I will provide for my family. But I will be ok, I am lucky to have a family and a good education. What happens to people that don't? Shouldn't government have a responsibility to all americans, especially the people that cannot help themselves, not just the ones that will get them elected?

If congress has single didget approval ratings then why are we going to elect the same clowns into office in November? I say vote them all out and let them reapply for their jobs in the next election. I am personnaly voting for any canidate for any position that is not the incumbant and I am not voting for either major presidential canidate.

Sorry for the rant.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  05:38:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's cool, Robb and it is your right & privilege to do exactly that. I only hope that we can keep it that way -- quite frankly, the obscene power grab by the Cheney/Bush cabal scares hell out of me. Is it an harbinger of things to come?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  06:37:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Shouldn't government have a responsibility to all americans, especially the people that cannot help themselves, not just the ones that will get them elected?
It's okay, Robb: your conversion to bleeding-heart liberalism will be complete in no time.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  06:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maybe McCain thought once is enough?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K_MKwVBZRY

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  06:52:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb
But I will be ok, I am lucky to have a family and a good education. What happens to people that don't? Shouldn't government have a responsibility to all americans, especially the people that cannot help themselves, not just the ones that will get them elected?

You mean like universal health care, and upgrading the funding and quality of schools?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 10/08/2008 06:55:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.