Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  23:23:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.......

While I find you funny(mostly)....
Jesus, Dude, what do I have to do....? Give you Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis? before you'll just break down and fucking compliment me?
So this David Gluck guy isn't some elaborate fiction? A pen name? Poor Kil... hope the crazies don't give you too much grief.
I, William C. Buck of Coeur D'Alene Idaho (e-mail, telephone, and address upon request) think a lot of you folks are just fucking paranoid!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  03:18:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which adverb? There are several.
buck, I believe the adverb in question is 'absolutely' and I agree; it's over-used and I too, am occasionally guilty of it. It implies that there is no alternative, which, much more often than not, is nonsense and therefore the statement becomes invalid.

Me, I'm an open book. Look at my profile and you pretty much know who I am. I have my own way of handling on-line threats -- politely give the clown my address and then ask where I might find him. This usually stifles them, as they tend to be such candy-ass' that the idea of a real confrontation is anathema. The ones you have to be cautious of are those who don't advertise.

Bourbon & 'shine drinker; don't much care for scotch.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  08:03:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

Oh, you and OH mean "When I hear the adverb absolutely used,..... "

Filth, the ravages of senectitude become more obvious with the passage of every day!

oldhoosier, get a Merriam-Webster toolbar. All you'll have to do is point and click and your vocabulary will grow faster than Sarah Palin's hebetude!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  08:49:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know that I'd use 'hebetude' to describe Palin. She certainly seems lively enough, in a mindless, cheer-leader sort of way. I think she'd make a good magician's assistent. Or perhaps, with a little loosing up, a physical contortionist as well as a verbal one.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  09:38:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I think she'd make a good magician's assistent.

Ahhh Haaaa Haaaa! That's perfect!

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  10:09:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng said:
before you'll just break down and fucking compliment me?

Hey, that was a compliment!

Also, being a bit of a geek, I already knew P45.

First time I had heard floccinaucinihilipilification though.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  13:11:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude......

May the almighty fucking God in fucking heaven bless your testicles and make a fucking pad in His fucking house for you, my son, for you have shown yourself to indeed be a person of great perspicacity in recognizing and complimenting me! I deeply, deeply appreciate it!

There was that word "mostly" tho'......!

P45 is just so pretentious! As you know, I strive to keep my discourse simple, direct, spare, lean, plain, unadorned, and monosyllabic!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  13:21:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

I don't know that I'd use 'hebetude' to describe Palin. She certainly seems lively enough, in a mindless, cheer-leader sort of way.
I was really thinking of the primary definition...
the absence of mental alertness or physical sensitivity
....rather than the sense of lethargy. "Dullness" certainly applies, if you think of it in a sense of lack of mental acuity!

But you have a point. Even tho' one spends hours in Webster's Unabridged and Roget in order to showboat; one sometimes fucks up!

Damned if you're going to get me to admit it, though!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  14:18:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng said:
There was that word "mostly" tho'......!

Hey, no one is funny all the time.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  15:33:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

Well, at least I can be pleonastic, prolix and protracted, and a pompous ass in the bargain! Eh?
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  22:47:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng said:
Well, at least I can be pleonastic

Just be thankful you aren't neoplastic...

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Edited by - Dude on 10/15/2008 22:47:24
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  05:09:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

... you can explain to us non-Americans what a "hoosier" is.

I've no idea either.

My online anonymity is born more of habit than anything else. Besides, I just so love the word 'Siberia'. She was my favorite character for a long time and, in many ways, still is. But everyone is aware of the most relevant parts of my life, at least over here - some even have my address (that's you I'm looking at, Mab), though I moved recently so that is a moot point.

I suppose that being Brazilian I'm in no risk of stalking or more... active... death threats, since more often than not I will throw myself into the international community. Very rare, finding other Brazilians in interesting sites is.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  05:53:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A "Hoosier" is someone with the distinction of hailing from Indiana, although I can't tell you why. It is also a brand of racing tire that enjoyed some considerable popularity a decade or so ago, but that I haven't seen in a long time.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  07:37:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny thing is even people in Indiana have no clue what a Hoosier is. The most likely answer is a version of Hillbilly which lost its negative conotation, though no one really knows.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  09:11:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

A "Hoosier" is someone with the distinction of hailing from Indiana, although I can't tell you why. It is also a brand of racing tire that enjoyed some considerable popularity a decade or so ago, but that I haven't seen in a long time.

Oh, nice. Thanks Fil! Like an informal demonyn, then?
We too have such names and most of them of unknown origin to the population. I happen to be carioca - born & bred in Rio de Janeiro - and I, too, have no idea why is that.

Edit: ok, now I do. Wikipedia is a wonderful thing, don't you think?

Edit #2: Wiki has something to say about possible origins for the word "hoosier", too.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 10/16/2008 09:14:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.