New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  10:33:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by oldhoosier

I've noticed that most of these forums have an abundance of paranoid people who go to great lengths to hide their true identity and sometimes gender, the latter I can't for the life of me fathom their reason for doing so.
I'm paranoid.

Also, it's human nature to judge people based on the littlest information. Physical appearance, accent, tone of voice, word choice and so on are cues we use to instantly size people up for a first impression. That will change over time as you get to know someone, of course. I don't hide my gender and age and over time I reveal more personal data as I get more comfortable with the locals.

Years ago when I first started fooling with the internet I was online via AOL. I frequented chat rooms and I hid everything about myself. One time I ran into some guy - I assume it was a guy - that decided i was female, refused to accept I wasn't, and started harrassing me in a chat room. Very strange experience, that. I can see why a woman might want to pose as a male and for my part I don't hide the basics anymore.

good food.
Ah, but what is good?

What ever happened to one on one or face-to-face communication? Here again is another topic for later.
Face to face discussion is a completely different experience. Maybe not apples and oranges but certainly lemons and limes.

Many members on these forums like to flaunt their mastery of the English language with words and phrases that would have the average educated person running to their online dictionary to find out what the hell they were talking about.
I try to dumb it down for the regular folks.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  10:47:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many members on these forums like to flaunt their mastery of the English language with words and phrases that would have the average educated person running to their online dictionary to find out what the hell they were talking about.

C'mon; epeolatry is fun!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  13:05:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simon.....

Oddly enough, epeolatry is not in the Merriam-Webster's New International Unabridged, which is the best Toolbar dictionary I have been able to find. It is in wiki, as you undoubtedly know, defined as "the worship of words"

Can you suggest a conventional dictionary that defines the word?

It is fun!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  13:15:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siberia.....

Demonyn, is not in the Merriam Webster's International Unabridged either (than Simon's epeolatry), but it does appear in the wikipedia with full definition.

Do you know of a conventional dictionary in which I can find demonyn?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  13:52:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is 'smeghead' in any dictionary? If not, it should be.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/16/2008 13:54:54
Go to Top of Page

oldhoosier

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  15:04:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send oldhoosier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent. Just the kind of response I was hoping for. Challenging but respectful critiquing of my observations, and I stress observation as opposed to criticism of any individuals in regards to anonymity on this or any other forum.
Your reasons and choice are understood and respected.
As to my comments about flaunting skills in the use of words, yes it can be fun. Truth is I wish I had those skills. Not to be pompous, but for the lyrical qualities when done right as by one of the best, George Sanders.
I apologize for my generic reference to my taste for a malt beverage as beer. For that, my preference is Wheat Ale.
Serious though I enjoyed the banter very much, and look forward to more of the same.
When I do get into some of the more popular topics, you might want to disregard a lot of what I might say as the ravings of an old Hoosier who is probably a little short on his medication do to the recent economic meltdown of his retirement IRA thanks to an inept administration.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  16:03:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oldhoosier.....

you might want to disregard a lot of what I might say as the ravings of an old Hoosier.....
No, Hoosier, nobody here is going to disregard anything you say in earnest. What most of the folks here enjoy is opinion or commentary on controversial subjects that is backed up by substantial reference!

If you make a statement of opinion, particularly religious or political, be prepared to back it up with some source material that you have read, or obtained from the Internet. If you are not already adept at using Google and the various 'Pedias, particularly Wikipedia, I might suggest you familiarize yourself with these essential sources. Wiki is pretty well accepted around here.

I usually research a subject a bit on the Web via Google, and in Wiki, before posting anything that is conjectural or contestable. You will quickly become amazed at the resource and reference base of many of the members here. And God (or any deity that you may favor) help you if you make supposed statements of fact or record that cannot be substantiated by quickly checkable references - in fact, you will undoubtedly be asked to provide hyperlinks to your references!
.....who is probably a little short on his medication do to the recent economic meltdown of his retirement IRA thanks to an inept administration.
Yeah, here's an old Colorado Cowboy that's gulping pills like crazy due to an absolute incineration of what I considered a pretty good portfolio. With the Dow down 900+, then up 700, then down 500, etc. etc., it sure as hell keeps my adrenaline pumping! I'm afraid to turn the computer on every morning, being four hours behind the east coast. I've stopped trading, I'm just buying piles of Depends.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  18:29:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

A "Hoosier" is someone with the distinction of hailing from Indiana, although I can't tell you why. It is also a brand of racing tire that enjoyed some considerable popularity a decade or so ago, but that I haven't seen in a long time.

Since I'm from Illinois, we have our own ideas on what Hoosier means.

Usually revolves around the phrase "Hoosier daddy?"

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  18:57:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Siberia.....

Demonyn, is not in the Merriam Webster's International Unabridged either (than Simon's epeolatry), but it does appear in the wikipedia with full definition.

Do you know of a conventional dictionary in which I can find demonyn?

Well, I did discover it on Wiki; trying it on dictionary.com brought up several demonic words, though.

Fun stuff.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  20:50:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Simon.....
Oddly enough, epeolatry is not in the Merriam-Webster's New International Unabridged, which is the best Toolbar dictionary I have been able to find. It is in wiki, as you undoubtedly know, defined as "the worship of words"
Can you suggest a conventional dictionary that defines the word?
It is fun!

I did not check it on Wiki; oddly enough. I learned it through Wordsmith.org that offers a 'one word a day newsletter' and immediately felt in love with the word; for a big part because of how it illustrates its own meaning...

Yeah; people around here seem to act respectfully... as long as you act respectably.
From what I saw from your post; you should fit right in.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  01:28:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
epeolatry
is evidently pretty obscure. When I sent it to the Wordsmith server, it said there were no definitions found. It was a word of the day at Wordsmith.

I don't have a subscription to the OED online anymore.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 10/17/2008 01:39:33
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  01:36:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The search for demonym turns up the word as part of a conversation with author Paul Dickson, who evidently coined the term?

Anu Garg
I guess the term demonym works on two levels then.

Paul Dickson
True. It also works on this level--a third It is a word which I created with the help of John Morse at Merriam-Webster. It is my humble attempt to coin a new one ...an earlier attempt at wordo for word-lover failed.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

oldhoosier

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  06:55:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send oldhoosier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, here's an old Colorado Cowboy that's gulping pills like crazy due to an absolute incineration of what I considered a pretty good portfolio. With the Dow down 900+, then up 700, then down 500, etc. etc., it sure as hell keeps my adrenaline pumping! I'm afraid to turn the computer on every morning, being four hours behind the east coast. I've stopped trading, I'm just buying piles of Depends.

So if i'm reading between the lines right, to help offset my losses, I could pump up my portfolio by investing in K-C stock.

Edited to fixed quote tag.

Kil
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  07:02:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dem; demo refers to the people (cf DEMOcracy) while nym; of course, is a name.
So; Demonym could be the name of a people? Or a name used only by a certain group of people (like an ethnical slang, for example a Yiddish name)?

I like words. I'd love being able to switch to a terribly pedantic lexicon whenever I feel like it; just because. But my thesaurus ain't nearly wide enough for that, unfortunately.
I also like to neologize. I coined 'plumberific' after Wednesday'd debate; although I am not sure what definition to use it with...

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  22:25:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I coined 'plumberific' after Wednesday'd debate; although I am not sure what definition to use it with...

plumberific adj
1. a state of willful ignorance especially with regard to politics. 2. an exceptionally stupid person ex-Aren't you just plumberific!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.