Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  07:15:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

To me, it seems like he still thinks that he would rather enforce his policy universally than to have to deal with pondering and making judgment calls over every post that violates his spam rule. And I really can't say I blame him.
He might prefer that, but it was clear during Kil's earlier run-in with him that Finley's enforcement of his policy is less than universal.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  07:37:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I was actually considering a donation even though I am still on disability, after I received his, would it be unseemly to call it a spam email request? I call it spam because it's the only thing I have ever received from him outside of our little debate.

Yeah. It's kind of like,
"Hey look at me, look at me.. I'm working on my website.. blah blah."

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  08:46:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
If you have cash lying around waiting to get donated for a worthy cause, then I suggest Skepticality is a more worthy recipient.

Since you brought it up...I have a bone to pick with them too. I am able to donate (and have) to every other skeptic site out there, even your Dragon Con trip. But twice now I have tried to support them and after paypal keeping my money for a month or so it is returned with charges deducted.

Something wrong with the skepticality paypal. No one else's. And while I still support them it irks me that when I mention these issues to them I get no reply whatsoever. Its annoying that when I want to donate to what I feel is a good cause, a third party profits and I don't get to donate. Its also annoying that D&S seem ambivalent to that.

Anyway....
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  09:05:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Ricky

To me, it seems like he still thinks that he would rather enforce his policy universally than to have to deal with pondering and making judgment calls over every post that violates his spam rule. And I really can't say I blame him.
He might prefer that, but it was clear during Kil's earlier run-in with him that Finley's enforcement of his policy is less than universal.
Also, Finley says, "I didn't know who that person. All I'm seeing is a username posting a link." He said in our little disagreement that he at least has to know a person or their site to not consider what I posted as spam. When I met him at TAM he told me that he knows of our site. And then there is the fact that we actually did meet. Something that I pointed out to him several times.

For him to say that he never heard of SFN before my OP was deleted means he was either lying at TAM or lying when he responded to my inquiry as to why my post was deleted. I would have accepted that he simply forgot, but he never offered that or any other excuse for the deletion other than to repeat his rule (which included the "I have to know you" loophole) in the rudest terms possible.

I don't want to open old wounds, but for the record, we have met and he did say he knows of us. Maybe he was stoned at the time. I dunno...

Another thing is that I didn't post a link to our site outside of my signature. My crime was this: "Greetings from The Skeptic Friends Network." I wasn't fishing for members. The post was intended as a show of support from one skeptic site to another. But, as they say, no good deed goes unpunished...

That he left my last post to him in the introduction thread and approved a link to our site I take as a kind of apology.

I just don't think his mouth is able to say he was wrong. He can't go there...

I was hoping that I would run into him at TAM6, but he wasn't there. Perhaps we could have talked it out. Oh well.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  11:35:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little more correspondence with the Redoubtable Reginald.
bng to Reggie:

"I just don't care."

"I refuse to argue about a simple and very common policy I might add."

Well, beggars probably should care and probably can't afford to be refusers. You're the one asking, pleading, for help! I'm the one that is positioned to give a lot of it to you with no strings tied or caveats about control. I'm simply trying to decide if you are worthy of help. I don't know you or your site. I'm still open-minded, but right offhand, you seem to be just a tad arrogant! A peculiar posture for one that desperately needs a hand!

"I just don't care." - Maybe you can tell me why I should?

"I refuse to argue......." - I did not write you to argue, I wrote you to try and understand you! If you are interested in support, give me reasons to support you. You can easily check my authenticity by reading a bit on SFN. I support them, and I support the secular raison d'etre of Skepticism.

Or go on begging. I just don't care!

I don't support God or gods, be they supernatural or supercilious!
Reggies response:

Well everyone has their rules and host fundraisers. Much like PBS. PBS
isn't going to break the rules just for you. People send money because
they care. If you don't, that's fine. Move on. I'm not talking to you. I
don't send emails to PBS because I'm upset with their rules. I don't care
about that particular aspect nice way to pull a red herring. See? This is
what I don't have time for.

Have a great evening. Stop trying to bring me down. Tons of more important
stuff for you to be doing I'm sure.

-- Reggie

bng to Reggie

Reg.... Thanks! I now understand you! Have a nice life in the Army!

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  11:53:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey. You can't talk that way to PBS!!

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  13:14:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
chefcrsh.......

And while I still support them it irks me that when I mention these issues to them I get no reply whatsoever. Its annoying that when I want to donate to what I feel is a good cause, a third party profits and I don't get to donate. Its also annoying that D&S seem ambivalent to that.
chef. it's the nature of the beast! There is something inherent in the skeptical/critical thinking mindset that is either indifferent to or anathemic to the subject of money! In the committed skeptics religion, it is tantamount to the extreme Purtianistic position of the Fundamentalist religious on the subject of sex. It is kind of dirty and distasteful and unpleasant to deal with!

The religious fundamentalists have no problem worshipping the golden calf - witness the ministries of Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar, Benny Hinn....there are dozens of them. And most of them are extremely astute businessmen and stinking rich. They certainly have no problem cozying up to the filthy dollar! But get in the area of sex, and they have more hang-ups than a chinese laundry! Sex is somehow dirty!

It is my observation that highly religious skeptics (those who formalize and make a religion out of their deep skeptical persuasions) have a somewhat similar attitude regarding the subject of money; an attitude that the whole area of making and using money is an unpleasant, odius business! Money is, somehow, dirty!

Religious fundies want to surrepticiously fuck quickly, get it over, don't dwell on it, and get back to praising god and making money!

Skeptics want to surreptiously earn a living, achieve sustenence, get it over, don't dwell on it, and get back to the glorious pursuit of evidence, evidence justifying all thought, evidence justifying everything in the universe and all that can be conceived by the mind of man!!

Oddly, in addition to being excellent skepticians (my neologism) and cognitors (another), the religiously skeptical frequently express and display amazingly similar puritanism to that of the fundies, with respect to sexual material.

A high level of conventional "family values" (code for protecting children's delicate sensibilities) and "decency" in both sexual expression and particularly sexual imagery prevails on SFN and several other skeptics sites that I have briefly explored.

Actually, SFN is remarkably liberal in its permissiveness as regards the free use of fucking four-letter words. There are some impossibly prissy sites out there enforcing anti-scatology rules that the owner learned from his or her parents (or grandparents)!

However, Rome, and the perfect Forum, was not built in a day!
Edited by - bngbuck on 10/29/2008 00:15:33
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  13:44:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chefcrsh
Something wrong with the skepticality paypal. No one else's.
I can't figure out why it's so, because I've made donations to Skepticality from my own PayPal account without problems.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  18:07:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Dr. Mabuse it is odd, but water under the bridge. I'll probably try again next time I am donating round the boards, but that will be it, third time is either a charm or out. ONe thing maybe (but should not be) is that I don't keep funds in paypal, I just use my card through it. But as I said that has worked fine for Your trip, SFN, Skeptologist, JREF, SGU, even the ad-hoc and hurriedly set-up donation for Rob Lancaster.

Plus that it takes paypal more than a month on average to reject the payment, makes me wonder if D&S are intentionally rejecting it. Anyway.

I'm not sure if I agree with you bngbuck. I had heart felt thanks from several recipients, like SGU and Skeptologist, Randi even sends out premiums and a form letter, all the way to Hong Kong. And at least in cases like SFN humble acceptance. It seems to me that Derek and Swoopy have a particularly unnatural aversion to taking money for their work. And on the other hand The Infidel Guy is too arrogant and abusive for his own good. Ahhh well, a big back has a big front.

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  19:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
chefcrsh.....

The Infidel Guy is too arrogant and abusive for his own good.

I couldn't agree more with that!
Ahhh well, a big back has a big front.
Yeah, but a big ass is a big dick, too!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  08:52:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill:
A high level of conventional "family values" (code for protecting children's delicate sensibilities) and "decency" in both sexual expression and particularly sexual imagery prevails on SFN and several other skeptics sites that I have briefly explored.

You're just bitter because we didn't allow you to post a joke, with a visual aid included, that has nothing to do with skepticism and everything to do with the dirty old man part of you. Speaking for myself, it's okay with me if you're a dirty old man. And if this were a forum for dirty old men, I'm sure we would allow any and all D cup humor. But again, this is a skeptic site. You are free to unbutton your raincoat at any number of sites and in emails to your friends. Hell, you can even take it to chat, which is much more of a gathering of friends and often goes off topic. Even old lechers are welcome there even if their humor does seem somewhat dated by todays standards.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  13:03:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

As usual, you have no idea of the real problem. I stopped the raincoat routine years ago - just not orgasmic enough. For a long time I have exposed myself completely - full frontal and rosy rump nudity. I mean, I fucking pirouette!..... And it is indeed a sight to behold, if you've got magnifiers!
Speaking for myself, it's okay with me if you're a dirty old man.
Kil, I didn't get your address, please!
But again, this is a skeptic site.
One look at me and you'd be damn skeptical that I was still alive, much less sexy!
And if this were a forum for dirty old men, I'm sure we would allow any and all D cup humor.
Not a forum for dirty old men? I gotta introduce you to a Filthy, who has outposted your pathetic priggish penscripts by almost two to one! Smarter, too! There are several older, dirtier guys hanging around here that you seem to have conveniently forgotten! - Moondog, or whatever, out there near Bagdad-on-the-Bay where sodomy was invented!, Gorgeo, still able to get it up when he can find it!, Furdamshur, one look at his picture and you know he's a dirty old monkey - you've got a veritable retirement home here, Kil, whether you know it or not! No, you don't know it, you're too busy worrying that someone hasn't zipped their pants!

And all these old toads are lusting for more sex on the Forum - hell, just look at the Nielsons! I put up a great pair of boobs and the viewership goes through the roof!

I know you've got bitching bluenose teenagers like Marvelous Marfknox and Dilletante Dave whose delicate sensibilities are offended by the sexuality implicit in adjacent men's and women's restrooms; but shit, they'll grow up someday and get through puberty!
Even old lechers are welcome there even if their humor does seem somewhat dated by todays standards.
Young lechers mostly don't know how to lech! It's like cheese - cream cheese don't stink like roquefort!

As for dated humor, that's an oxymoron. Funny stopped somewhere in the nineties. A few of the fresh, current (largely black) comedians are producing laughs like the old masters of scatology - Lenny Bruce, Richard Prior, and the imitable Eddie Shit with his "Pohemian Crapsody" routine - but our current society is so whitewashed by political correctness it looks like a Victorian Age deja vu all over again!
I'm sure we would allow any and all D cup humor.
That would be a mouthful, all right! Too much is wonderful! More than you can swallow!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  13:35:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Kil.....Gorgeo, still able to get it up when he can find it!,

Up being a relative term. But then, vice is nice, but incest is best.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  13:40:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an old guy too, Bill. Not as old as you, but I'm in the top four here at SFN, age-wise, I'm pretty sure. (Memory is not as good as it used to be.) But aside from being one of the older farts around here, and with it, having to endure some of the unpleasantries that is a part of getting older, like my recent surgery among other things, I do have one thing going in my favor at SFN. I'm an administrator...

Thanks for playing...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  14:52:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

I know you've got bitching bluenose teenagers like Marvelous Marfknox and Dilletante Dave whose delicate sensibilities are offended by the sexuality implicit in adjacent men's and women's restrooms; but shit, they'll grow up someday and get through puberty!
Your memory is obviously shot to hell.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.