Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  15:05:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgo.....

But then, vice is nice, but incest is best.
Straight on, Gorgo! I frequently say to my daughter, "fuck you!".
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  15:21:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil......

I do have one thing going in my favor at SFN. I'm an administrator...
Yeah, it's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it!
Thanks for playing...
No thanks due. Best pincushion I ever played with.....I'm having more fun than a barrel of hypnotoads!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  15:27:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Your memory is obviously shot to hell.
No doubt about that, Davey! Helps me forget all the pompous intellectuality that I and a few other infallibles keep spreading heavily all over this site!

Like Mac Davis used to sing - Lord, but it's hard to be humble.....!!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  22:58:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mabuse.....

If you have cash lying around waiting to get donated for a worthy cause, then I suggest Skepticality is a more worthy recipient.
Why not SFN, Mabuse?
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  07:58:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Mabuse.....

If you have cash lying around waiting to get donated for a worthy cause, then I suggest Skepticality is a more worthy recipient.
Why not SFN, Mabuse?

Being a member of the staff, I know you've already made contributions to SFN (which we are thankful for). I was offering what I think is a better alternative to Infidel Guy.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  19:59:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since I listened to his show, but I tried a couple of episodes a while back and found them deadly dull. It takes a special talent to bore me with one of my favorite subjects.

His e-mail sounds almost like blackmail. If you don't give, he's going to re-join the army, so there.

Let him. The army just loves atheists, and treats them so well.
QUESTION: At worst, what can happen if I don't support the show?

Well, without continued support. IG.com can possibly be off the air permanently.

Boo Hoo. Shows I've loved have podfaded. One of my favorite shows stopped with the podcaster died. (I still miss it, and him.) If that's the worst that can happen, it's a tragedy I can live with.

I've never made a dime from my podcast, and never expected to. I've been meaning to put up a donation button, just to see if I can get a few bucks, but haven't got around to it. (I have had a few people send me cigars, which I very much appreciated.) I wouldn't pay to hear my show, (or any show, for that matter) so how can I expect others to pay for it? And with that in mind, why should I pay for a show I don't even like?

I've run forums since the days of 1200 baud modems. I even tried to make money on one in the mid-nineties. I had 21 modems flashing in my office, and charged ten bucks a month for access. On a good month I only lost $100 or so. Just as it was starting to show the possibility of a profit the internet killed it. (I knew the internet was coming, but mistakenly thought that people would use it for research and use BBSs for local contacts. What I hadn't foreseen was the impact of browsers.)

The bottom line is: Doing this for money is a bad business model. A very, very bad business model. I don't feel any obligation to support a bad business model. Especially when it's built around a boring show.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  20:27:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah.

If the guy wanted to raise funds for his site he should have stuck with a basic PBS style professional appeal. He should have just stated that the website and his show were running short and asked people to donate a few bucks if they can.

The melodrama about him having to re-enlist in the military ensured that I will never give him a dime. It strikes me as fake. You don't resort to amateurish emotional appeals if you want to get money from skeptics. Just lay out the facts and make a humble request.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  23:12:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hittman

His e-mail sounds almost like blackmail. If you don't give, he's going to re-join the army, so there.
It just occured to me where I've heard such a threat before. The movie Blazing Saddles, with the wonderful Cleavon Little playing Sheriff Bart:
[the Johnsons load their guns and point them at Bart. Bart then points his own pistol at his head]

Bart: [speaking in a low voice] Hold it! Next man makes a move, the nigger gets it!

Olson Johnson: Hold it, men. He's not bluffing.

Dr. Sam Johnson: Listen to him, men, he's just crazy enough to do it!

Bart: [low voice] Drop it! Or I swear I'll blow this nigger's head all over this town!

Bart: [now speaking in a higher voice] Oh, lo'dy, lo'd, he's desp'it! Do what he sayyyy, do what he sayyyy...

[the Johnsons drop their guns. Bart jams the gun into his neck and drags himself through the crowd and towards the station]

Harriett Van Johnson: Isn't anybody going to help that poor man?

Dr. Sam Johnson: Hush, Harriet, that's a sure way to get him killed!

Bart: [higher voice] Oooh! He'p me, he'p me! Somebody he'p me! He'p me! He'p me! He'p me!

Bart: [lower voice] Shut up!

[Bart places his hand over his own mouth, drags himself through the door into his office]

Bart: Ooh, baby, you are so talented! And they are so DUMB!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  14:42:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Years ago I saw some outtakes from that scene(and others in the movie)... They must have had to shoot it a hundred times to get a take where no one was cracking up.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  13:43:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amusingly; I just remembered that 'The infidel guy' was one of the guest fighters of the on going poll.
He is not doing that good there.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.