Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  08:37:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At 7:30 this morning, I spent a whole 30 minutes combined waiting in line and voting. 36 minutes if you count the time it took to walk between the school and my car (both ways). Not bad at all.

I was given the choice between paper and plastic electronic voting. The paper ballots were being fed into what looked like big shredders. I thought for a minute and decided that I'd have an equal opportunity to verify my vote either way, so chose the marginally faster route of electronic voting.
Originally posted by Robb

The statewide results were 55% Obama and 42% McCain and the national results were 60% Obama and 35% McCain. Seems pretty represenattive of what most likely will happen today.
Actually, the polls for Texas indicate that McCain should win the state by a margin of over 11%, so those school results were highly unrepresentative. What kind of crazy liberal stuff are they teaching 1st graders down there (outside your district)?!

Edited to add that electoral-vote.com has Texas going 52% McCain, 41% Obama.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  08:58:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

At 7:30 this morning, I spent a whole 30 minutes combined waiting in line and voting. 36 minutes if you count the time it took to walk between the school and my car (both ways). Not bad at all.

I was given the choice between paper and plastic electronic voting. The paper ballots were being fed into what looked like big shredders. I thought for a minute and decided that I'd have an equal opportunity to verify my vote either way, so chose the marginally faster route of electronic voting.

The statewide results were 55% Obama and 42% McCain and the national results were 60% Obama and 35% McCain. Seems pretty represenattive of what most likely will happen today.
Actually, the polls for Texas indicate that McCain should win the state by a margin of over 11%, so those school results were highly unrepresentative. What kind of crazy liberal stuff are they teaching 1st graders down there (outside your district)?!

Edited to add that electoral-vote.com has Texas going 52% McCain, 41% Obama.
Yes they are unrepresentitive for Texas but not nationally which is what I meant. I think the Obama vote for some older students are to piss off thier parents more than anything. I know I told my parents in 6th grade that I would vote for Reagan because my parents were very liberal and I grew up in Minnesota who loved Carter.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:01:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes they are unrepresentitive for Texas but not nationally which is what I meant. I think the Obama vote for some older students are to piss off thier parents more than anything. I know I told my parents in 6th grade that I would vote for Reagan because my parents were very liberal and I grew up in Minnesota who loved Carter.

What ages are you talking about? Could Obama be popular amongst the older students because he seems to resonate more with younger voters? Perhaps the results in the mock election reflect this popularity?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Edited by - tomk80 on 11/04/2008 09:05:41
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:03:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my vote in. I was number 241 in my district. It took about 12 minutes from the time I got in line to the time I walked out of the little voter machine.

I spoke to a friend this morning who's still in Baltimore. She had driven by my old polling place and said that at 7:15, the line was out the door and down the block. Yikes!
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 11/04/2008 09:05:11
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:07:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karl Rove is today predicting an Obama landslide. And his projected election map gives McCain a state or three that I suspect may go Obama.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:10:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Polls open in 15 minutes here. I will wait until the morning rush is over. I'll probably head over there around ten.

It bothers me that A. we vote on a work day (though not for me because I am still recovering from my back thing) and B. that if they are going to keep the voting day on a weekday, they haven't made it a national holiday.

I believe that the way its set up favors employers and white collar Republicans and not so much employees who have jobs to be at. They must scramble to vote before or after work. And one would assume that they make up the largest voting block, and also mostly vote Democratic.

But oh well. I live in a blue state, so that's the good news. And despite the fact that we will know who won, probably before the polls close in the west, which bothers me too, we do have a ballot measure that will bring the Dems out to vote against that would make Gay marriages illegal. I think it will lose. Many of our conservative voters are centrist and do not support the measure either on the grounds that we should not make laws that are religiously motivated. Unlike the bible belt, the RR is not a big a factor here in California. They exist, but they are in the minority among our Republicans.

I'll report back after I have voted...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:24:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Karl Rove is today predicting an Obama landslide. And his projected election map gives McCain a state or three that I suspect may go Obama.

Oddly he has exactly what Real Clear Politics has...suppose he stole it from them?
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:32:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Polls open in 15 minutes here. I will wait until the morning rush is over. I'll probably head over there around ten.

It bothers me that A. we vote on a work day (though not for me because I am still recovering from my back thing) and B. that if they are going to keep the voting day on a weekday, they haven't it a national holiday.

I believe that the way its set up favors employers and white collar Republicans and not so much employees who have jobs to be at. They must scramble to vote before or after work. And one would assume that they make up the largest voting block, and also mostly vote Democratic.
Some history about our Tuesday election day.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:43:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Originally posted by Kil

It bothers me that A. we vote on a work day (though not for me because I am still recovering from my back thing) and B. that if they are going to keep the voting day on a weekday, they haven't it a national holiday.

Some history about our Tuesday election day.
Right. Weekend voting makes much more sense.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  10:02:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heading to the polls now. Usually FL (since 2000 anyway) polls have had their shit together. I don't expect any long lines or significant problems.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  10:05:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm 63, and I feel this was the most important election I've every participated in. None other comes close.

Smooth voting here in San Leandro, California. Two or three opponents of the anti-gay-marriage Prop 8 were outside the elementary school where the polls are, at a proper distance. (I restrained myself from chanting, "We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!") We got paper ballots, which we completed in rickety little stands, then fed into a shredder scanner. Woo-hoo! I got two "I Voted" stickers, one for me, one for my cane!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Vic Daring

49 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  10:15:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vic Daring a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You have MO, NC, and IN in the Obama column, I'm guessing.

I actually have Rove's map, except I'm giving Florida to McCain.

Even with that, I have Obama winning 311 to 227 (see earlier post).

If Obama can grab any of the aforementioned states, that's be great, but I'm not counting on it.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  11:15:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
South Louisiana: With only 5 people in front of me, I was in and out in 8 minutes. However, the precinct next to mine must have had 50 people in line, so I'm guessing about an hours wait for them. I don'y know why the difference.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  11:31:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But is Rove using ordinary math, or is he using THE math? 'Cause there's a difference. And if he's back to using THE math again, then his projection has me sort of freaked out.
Go to Top of Page

WarfRat

49 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  11:40:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send WarfRat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My polling station was dead. In and out in less than 5 minutes. Though Boston is having some high turnout issues. They should either make this a national holiday or do it on the weekend.

My prediction, this election gets called for OBAMA at 11:00EST and Europe goes wild.

"I believe...that one benefits the workers...so much more by forcing through reforms which alleviate and strengthen their position, than by saying that only a revolution can help them."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds.