Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  22:15:44  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all. Been awhile. Had a decidedly nasty virus on my computer. It's gone thanks to the pros. However, I still have a few remainders of problems and microsoft is particularly uncooperative when it comes to trying to access assistance for their silly and obnoxious program Vista. It seems I can no longer set wallpaper because the administrator on the computer - that would be me - has blocked that function. However, this one was accomplished by the virus. And I can not unblock that function. I can no longer see thumbnails of my pics on the computer either.

Anyway......

Good to see you all still hanging out here.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  23:31:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
welcome back!

Also... Switch to firefox ;)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  00:33:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Trish.

Hope you find a way to solve those sucky problems.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  01:24:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Trish, we missed you. Welcome back!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  02:43:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Long time, no hear from! Welcome back!

I am currently on a new computer, having also experienced Antivirus 2008. But it only finished off a box that was on it's last legs, anyway.

Great to see you back....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  02:50:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Trish, where have you been? Oh. Dealing with that stuff, I see. I use McAfee. I've never run into that "Antivirus2008", but if I ever do....

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  08:04:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got McAfee on my new mojo box -- well, mojo slab actually. It's a laptop. The program seems to work very well and is definitely worth the $$ spent on it.

I would like to see a program that not only kills the infection but travels back to cause a mini-Chernobyl in the computer that conceived it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  09:55:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, My mac contracted its first virus last week when Michelle imported an email from a trusted friend into Word. A warning box told her of a suspected virus and was she sure she wanted to import the file. She hit "yes". Sigh... It was a macro virus. I found out about it when I couldn't email her my new essay so she could go over it at work. My Gmail wouldn't accept the word file for upload because it was infected.

I bought Norton Antivirus for Mac, which was the recommended solution on a mac site, and it repaired the problem in no time flat. I had to copy some documents to Apple works and deleted all files created after her download. Norton also found a bunch of PC viruses that could not infect my computer, but got rid of them anyhow.

I have been using Mac since the mid nineties and this was the first time a virus actually got in and caused me a problem.

So oh well... Most mac users don't even use virus protection programs. I do now, but I doubt that it will have to work very hard...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  18:27:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys - I had McAfee on my computer. Went through it like butter. And the bitch of this program is that installing a new anitvirus program won't get rid of it either. The pros had to connect from another computer and clean mine before windows loaded. It apparently takes 7 different programs to get rid of the little bastard. I'm actually using PC Tools now. This virus corrupted the McAfee program itself. Which was another problem they dealt with - uninstalling McAfee. I'm an old McAfee user. As in have always used McAfee always recommended McAfee. Not anymore.

Thought I'd add. Bought my kid a computer - a Mac. She had trouble getting it connected to the hardwire internet at school - it kept overriding to the overloaded wireless internet. So the IT folks told her to bring her computer in and they'd get it set up for her. Ha ha. They took one look at it and said, "It's a Mac? We don't deal with Macs." She went back and figured it out. BTW, she's freezing her backside off in glorious Gunnison CO at Western State and playing Rugby. She's a point or some such. She basically gets to pound people while pushing a teammate. Dunno. Anyway she's having fun.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
Edited by - Trish on 12/13/2008 18:30:41
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  19:46:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Trish

BTW, she's freezing her backside off in glorious Gunnison CO at Western State and playing Rugby. She's a point or some such. She basically gets to pound people while pushing a teammate. Dunno. Anyway she's having fun.
Does she have the requisite "Support Your Local Hooker" bumper sticker yet?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  19:58:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, not to my knowledge. But she almost ran over the football team her first day there.

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  20:00:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Hi Trish, where have you been? Oh. Dealing with that stuff, I see. I use McAfee. I've never run into that "Antivirus2008", but if I ever do....

Yeah tried that. Didn't work. That's why I took it to the pros. Had to pay to get it off.

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  20:21:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Trish

Originally posted by the_ignored

Yeah tried that. Didn't work. That's why I took it to the pros. Had to pay to get it off.

Wow... So, it's a virus that tells you to buy a software to get rid of itsef...
These guys are on top of things.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  20:26:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon
Wow... So, it's a virus that tells you to buy a software to get rid of itsef...
These guys are on top of things.

Yeah. They want your credit card number and my guess would be they'd really like your full name, the card expiration and those three little digits on the back of the card that would let them use it as they pleased.

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  07:26:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Trish. I don't remember you, but welcome back anyway.

Regarding virus', I had one tank my computer a few years back. After that I bought Norton and never had another problem. It's very good, though it causes very annoying performance issues, like downloadning new virus definitions every time you boot up, causing very long startups and/or slow performance for literally ten minutes. On top of that there's apparently no way to tell it not to do that - it doesn't ask and when I found the well hidden settings and told it to ask first, it still didn't. So I killed it the last time my subscription ran out.

Now I use McAffee which has given me two benefits: First, it doesn't hit my PC's performance near as bad as Norton, though there is some. Second, it doesn't cost me anything (extra) since my ISP (Comcast) provides it and the subscription service at no (extra) cost. I can't help feeling less protected though. We'll see.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  10:45:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you Trish. Hope all is well.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.