Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  19:42:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by filthy

Yep, Jewish, although he doesn't seem to work at it very hard. He does, however, come off as a believer.

What I read has him coming of as pretty much agnostic. And that is not unusual for Jews of my generation.
You lucky dogs. People hear "secular Jew" and don't even blink. "Secular Christian" tends to sound like an oxymoron. Yeah, I know and sympathize. It's your Jewish culture. Being seen as a Jew is something that you don't reject, for valid historical reasons. I'd be the same way, if "my people" had gone through the troubles of the Jews. As it stands, there's really not a corresponding sense of Christianity being an ethnic thing.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/23/2009 19:43:22
Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  11:58:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the best they can come up with? Nearly everything on the list was satire and expression of opinion. Not a single item prevented anyone of worshiping, or caused anyone any physical pain. Not one.

Not only is it ridiculous, it's lazy. An hour or two on the internet would have easily turned up examples of real persecution of Christians, mostly by people with different superstitions. Of course, limiting the list to atrocities in Muslim countries wouldn't have been nearly as impressive to the audience they're trying to reach.

BTW, the best way to deal with something like Prop 8, The Musical, is to do a counter piece that's better. Good luck with that.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  15:30:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hittman

BTW, the best way to deal with something like Prop 8, The Musical, is to do a counter piece that's better. Good luck with that.
LOL! Any fundy who could do a good musical would be under immediate suspicion.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  22:36:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True dat. They'd probably demand he prove he's not gay.

Saw Avenue Q last week. What a great show. Not christian, though.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  03:55:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hittman

True dat. They'd probably demand he prove he's not gay.

Saw Avenue Q last week. What a great show. Not christian, though.
Heh, at the rate some of the big-name hypocrites have maneged to accidentally out themselves over the last, few years, that might be a difficult jury to convince. I'm reading that lecherous Ted Haggard has some more problems along that line, this time involving a 17 year old.

I wonder; why does their own sexuality, be it hetero or homo, terrify them so?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  17:13:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can only guess.

Prohibiting anything pleasurable is pretty common – time and resources spent on pleasure don't fill church coffers. And prohibiting something as basic as sex guarantees the followers will fail – and there's only one place to go for forgiveness.

So when the leaders give in to their urges, they've got to be terrified that someone will find out. I don't know why, though – they just do a forgiveness song and dance and the suckers lap it up.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  18:35:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most religious sexuality morality has its foundation in property rights. Because men passed wealth to their children, they wanted women who they could be certain were virgins so that they could guarantee that any offspring produced were their own. That's why Muslim women cannot be left alone with a man who isn't a member of her immediate family, or why in the bible the penalty for a woman who was raped was death. A woman whose chastity is suspect is of no economic value, and is thus worthless.

Homosexuality was considered an unnatural abomination, but then so were physical disfigurements and diseases. Cripples, for example, weren't allowed in temples to worship because they were considered "unclean" and cursed by god.

In modern times, none of these religious prohibitions make any sense. They are clung to only by the misguided, the ignorant, and the morally corrupt. But such is the power of religious tradition over the minds of men.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/26/2009 18:35:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.