The next Ernie Pyle?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  02:01:34  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like every one's favorite nebbish has a new gig: war correspondent. Joe the Plumber is off to Israel to do "average joe" reporting on the Gaza insanity for Pajamas Media, a right-wing outfit no less screwy than most.

Me, unlike many others, I wish him success at it. Apart from providing some comic relief during the recent campaign, he has had a singularly unimpressive life and could use a break. Who knows, maybe he'll be good at it and move on to better things.

I've bookmarked PJ-TV and will watch with interest for his reports.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  11:01:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I predict that Joe will get his own talk radio show any moment now.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  13:58:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if Joe the Plumber could be compared to Ernie Pyle, but he's clearly a pyle of something.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  06:55:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joe the War Correspondent has sallied forth unto Israel, and once there, did offer these timeless pearls of wisdom:
"I'll be honest with you: I don't think journalists should be anywhere allowed war. (sic) I mean, you guys report where our troops are at. You report what's happening day to day. You make a big deal out of it. I think it's asinine. You know, I liked back in World War I and World War II when you'd go to the theater and you'd see your troops on, you know, the screen and everyone would be real excited and happy for 'em.

Now everyone's got an opinion and wants to...down soldiers. You know, American soldiers or Israeli soldiers...I think media should be abolished from, uh, you know, reporting. You know, war is hell. And if you're gonna sit there and say, 'Well, look at this atrocity,' well, you don't know the whole story behind it half the time. So I think the media should have no business in it."
Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear.... And that makes the ol' irony meter click a time or two, does it not?

]8]

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  16:04:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that, in its promotion of Joe the Unlicensed Plumber, the NeoCon noise machine has once again demonstrated its use of what I'm dubbing "Creation Politics."

Creation Politics is the opposite of the normal kind, which I'd therefor call "Darwinian Politics" or just regular politics. The selective process of Darwinian Politics is the democratic process itself.

In my analogy, through Darwinian Politics, the process of popular selection replaces the natural selection of biology. When a tactic, platform, candidate or spokesperson makes a real ass out of its- him- or herself and actually contributes to defeat at the polls, that thing or person is tossed out of the political mene pool to expire and dessicate on the nearby shoreline. The ideas and people who succeed, on the other hand, go on to produce offspring.

Creation Politics ("CP") boldly goes against the Laws of Politics and stands Darwinian Politics on its head. CP disdains democracy, and feels the unwashed masses are essentially irrelevant, except to be used. In CP, whatever and whoever doesn't work is selected as the purest and best of politics. Mind-numbingly total fuck-ups are considered the pick of the litter.

Thus, the very ideas (spreading complete lies against the opposition and blanket distrust of both the press and freedom of expression) and people (Sarah Palin and Joe the Unlicensed Plumber) who had the worst and most damaging effect upon the NeoCons in the last election are chosen as the principles, tactics, and spokesmen of the future.

God help the GOP. It can't help itself.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/12/2009 16:08:47
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  17:06:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Joe the War Correspondent has sallied forth unto Israel, and once there, did offer these timeless pearls of wisdom:
"I'll be honest with you: I don't think journalists should be anywhere allowed war. (sic) I mean, you guys report where our troops are at. You report what's happening day to day. You make a big deal out of it. I think it's asinine. You know, I liked back in World War I and World War II when you'd go to the theater and you'd see your troops on, you know, the screen and everyone would be real excited and happy for 'em.

Now everyone's got an opinion and wants to...down soldiers. You know, American soldiers or Israeli soldiers...I think media should be abolished from, uh, you know, reporting. You know, war is hell. And if you're gonna sit there and say, 'Well, look at this atrocity,' well, you don't know the whole story behind it half the time. So I think the media should have no business in it."
Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear.... And that makes the ol' irony meter click a time or two, does it not?

]8]

Ahhh. Back to the good old days when war reporting, at least what they showed in movie theaters, was propaganda financed by the government. (There really were war correspondents doing the real thing even back then, but they wrote for newspapers. A source that probably was and is above Joe's ability to comprehend, which may explain why he doesn't seem to know that they existed.)

I suspect that Joe just might be a little below average and it may be time for "Average Joe's" to point out that this particular "Joe" really did fall off the back of a turnip truck. He is not doing them a service...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.