Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  11:14:37  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
President Obama!

Just wanted to say it, type it, and enjoy it for a few minutes before my cynicism returns.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  11:31:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
President Obama!

You're right. It IS pleasant to type.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  11:38:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally! No more using the word "President" and "moron" in the same sentence! (And idiot, dumbass, dip shit, incompetant, stupid, asshole, etc etc...)

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  12:08:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully....hopefully...

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  12:41:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, sounds real good. And if we hold his feet to the fire (as we should with any representative), maybe "President Obama" will continue to look and sound good.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/20/2009 12:41:55
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  12:46:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my prediction that Bush would artificially extend his presidency happily did not come true.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  12:52:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! PRESIDENTE OBAMA for the spanish-speaking crowd!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  14:02:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was sort of struck by a comment in Obama's speech, and see now that Andrew Sullivan picked up on it, too:

"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth."

I just wonder if by "every language" he meant Sumerian, too...
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  17:08:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

"... We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth."

Of course, even dead, isolate languages. The guy's serious about inclusion.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/20/2009 17:09:05
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  17:13:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for the hell of it, it seems there were protesters there...

More wonderful xian love...

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  18:22:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The photos of the fundy nuts' (and I mean certifiably insane) signs and lettered clothing are here. Fascinating that they include "sports nuts" and even "good people" in their list of evildoers.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  18:44:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The photos of the fundy nuts' (and I mean certifiably insane) signs and lettered clothing are here. Fascinating that they include "sports nuts" and even "good people" in their list of evildoers.

But predictable. It's a common meme among AM Christian radio personalities that just being a good person won't get you into heaven. Indeed, Hank hanegraaff-- the "Bible Answerman" almost takes glee when he talks about this. It doesn't matter how good you are. You must be a Jesus-loving Christian to get into heaven. Period.

The "sports nut" thing is more odd, unless it's just a way to say "idolater" in a way that resonates more with a modern audience. But there almost certainly are Jesus-loving Christians who are also big "sports nuts" (*cough cough* Tim Tebow *cough cough*) so I don't know what the problem is.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 01/20/2009 18:44:48
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  18:59:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beer never tasted so good as that I am drinking from the President Obama glass that I ordered from Buzzflash a couple of months or so back.

It also tastes good that I can again use the man's name in conjuncture with "President," something I have not done for eight, teeth-grinding years because I never accepted Bush as the legitimate holder of the office. I'll find out how it feels to paste a stamp on a letter right-side-up sometime this week.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  20:15:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I was sort of struck by a comment in Obama's speech, and see now that Andrew Sullivan picked up on it, too:

"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth."

I also caught that the quartet playing right before him was playing a theme oddly familiar. And, no it isn't because it's a John Williams tune.

The center section of the piece was Lord of the Dance which has particular significance for my religion.

He seems genuine about inclusion.

President Obama (ya know, it is enjoyable to type that) had a lot of lofty and hard goals. Some of which are a bit unsettling where it comes to healthcare and my job. I'll be watching the next 90 days to see how he tries implementing it.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  20:41:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The center section of the piece was Lord of the Dance which has particular significance for my religion.

He seems genuine about inclusion.

Wicca?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  21:10:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obama quote - "We will restore science to its rightful place,..." When I heard that I leapt from my chair, pumped my fist, and let out a WHOOP that might have disturbed the entire neighbourhood.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.