Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  03:12:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I have been trying to find a reference to the non-fiction article I read around 1960 or so in a science fiction magazine about man-made global warming. The article was in either Galaxy or Astounding (Analog). I recall the writer warned of rising CO2 levels due to the Industrial Revolution, and suspected they would begin warming earth. The writer knew of carbonate formation in the oceans, and was unsure whether or not these would keep up with the CO2 greenhouse gasses. The author was probably one of the Galaxy or Astounding regular fiction writers.

I didn't find that reference yet, but when I Googled using "history of man-made global warming," what I found were almost exclusively denialist articles, following the GOP Talking Points agenda. Turns out that two CNN meteorologists and one from Accuweather are on the Big Oil denialist team. The denialists seem extremely well-published in the popular press, and seem to have a lot more clout (and money behind them) than their actual numbers might account for.

Despite this, MMGW denialism remains mostly an American thing, largely tied to Christian Fundamentalism as a support for short-sighted petroleum corporations. Why the Hell is it that every imaginable kind of evil always seems to be a project of Christians?

It's something you see quite commonly on the denialist side. Look at anti-vaccination movements (who I like to refer to as "Kid-killers"), creationism/ID-creationists ("IDiots"), homeopathy ("Murderers"), chiropractors ("paralysers") and a whole range of wackos, woowoos and weirdos. I guess that if you don't have to do research, you can spend more time and money on the promotion of your crap.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  06:28:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80

I guess that if you don't have to do research, you can spend more time and money on the promotion of your crap.
So true. Even the Disco Institute's pet laboratory and "research" organization of record, the Biologic Institute, only is burdened with Web design and public relations. Its "at least two researchers" must think they have it made in the shade, since they don't have to do anything but act as shills.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  07:57:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm; maybe I should join the discovery institute... being paid not to do any research...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  08:19:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80

Originally posted by HalfMooner

I have been trying to find a reference to the non-fiction article I read around 1960 or so in a science fiction magazine about man-made global warming. The article was in either Galaxy or Astounding (Analog). I recall the writer warned of rising CO2 levels due to the Industrial Revolution, and suspected they would begin warming earth. The writer knew of carbonate formation in the oceans, and was unsure whether or not these would keep up with the CO2 greenhouse gasses. The author was probably one of the Galaxy or Astounding regular fiction writers.

I didn't find that reference yet, but when I Googled using "history of man-made global warming," what I found were almost exclusively denialist articles, following the GOP Talking Points agenda. Turns out that two CNN meteorologists and one from Accuweather are on the Big Oil denialist team. The denialists seem extremely well-published in the popular press, and seem to have a lot more clout (and money behind them) than their actual numbers might account for.

Despite this, MMGW denialism remains mostly an American thing, largely tied to Christian Fundamentalism as a support for short-sighted petroleum corporations. Why the Hell is it that every imaginable kind of evil always seems to be a project of Christians?

It's something you see quite commonly on the denialist side. Look at anti-vaccination movements (who I like to refer to as "Kid-killers"), creationism/ID-creationists ("IDiots"), homeopathy ("Murderers"), chiropractors ("paralysers") and a whole range of wackos, woowoos and weirdos. I guess that if you don't have to do research, you can spend more time and money on the promotion of your crap.

The concept has been around since 1896 with the publication of the paper "On the influence of carbonic acid in the air upon the temperature of the ground" by S. Arrhenius. However he was all for it thinking it would benefit growing in the North, which it might in addition to the thousand problems it will cause.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  08:33:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also Mooner, "Roommates" was an early sixties short which was the basis for the book, "More room! More room!" which was the basis for "Soylent Green". I think PKD also had an early 60s story or two about the topic.
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 02/13/2009 08:34:27
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  09:33:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read a lot, probably most, of PKD's work and can't recall such a story.
But then, PKD was often more interested in exploring philosophy/psychology than hard science.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  10:42:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's called a Commuter Cooling Unit, from the book The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch (1964)PKD

Kinda like those hats with fans in the bill, but bigger.
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 02/13/2009 10:46:18
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  11:03:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok... I read the book a while ago, it is one of his Gnostic themed ones, there is a couple of new idea and concepts every page, if I recall, and I did not notice this particular one.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  12:06:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a fairly significant theme I think as the only place to vacation is Antarctica. I'll need to track down a copy and read it, too many stories to remember the details. Your memory serves you right in that it is one of his first stories to have a religious tone.
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 02/13/2009 12:06:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.