Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  04:01:54  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Southern Poverty Law Center is a site to monitor carefully. They keep track of these vicious clowns. From The Daily Kos:

The faces of fascism, the face of treason.

The Impending Perfect Wingnut Hate Storm
by Vyan
The Impending Perfect Wingnut Hate Storm Mon Mar 30, 2009 at 11:15:34 AM PDT

We've all seen the warning signs and heard the angry cries from Wingnuttia - but it's time to stop laughing and recognize a very real threat that faces this nation.

The Southern Poverty Law Center headed by Morris Dees is the countries premier anti-hate resource, and in it's current yearly "Intelligence Report" on the activities of various domestic Hate Groups, there are more than a few familiar faces.

Vyan's diary :: ::
This week a report detailing at least 60 Post-9/11 plots of violence by Militant Right-Wing Militia and Birther groups was spiked in Missouri under the argument that sharing the information with Officers in the field would have been Political Profiling!

In Knoxville Tennessee it was shown that a mass-murderer, James Adkisson, - inspired directly by writings of Fox News Contributor Bernard Goldberg, as well as the rantings of Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter - perpetrated a deliberate Hate-Crime (i.e. Terrorism) against Liberals.

Here's another one.

As long as humanity has existed, these sorts of dipshits have been among us and history, even very recent history, has shown us what happens when they assume power. But the disasters that they wreak are, really, caused by the rest of us. Every time, we failed to pay attention. we were responsible for Hitler and we are responsible for this latest problem that is becoming more acute every day.

This Kos is an interesting and rather scary read. But don't be afraid; be alert.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  05:20:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good, Filthy. The SPLC site and organization are great resources for tracking hate and domestic terrorist groups.

Hannity and Bachman are outright fascists. I really half expect that some attempt at a Putsch will be made by our traitorous wingnuts. (I suspect if it is attempted, the conspirators will be sorely disappointed by how the public -- and military -- will rally against them.) Such at attempt may (or may not) have been made against FDR in the Business Plot.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  11:30:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"In Knoxville Tennessee it was shown that a mass-murderer, James Adkisson, - inspired directly by writings of Fox News Contributor Bernard Goldberg, as well as the rantings of Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter - perpetrated a deliberate Hate-Crime (i.e. Terrorism) against Liberals."

What's the point of that? However dumb their rants are, this is obviously just taking shots at those people for no (relevant) reason. Sortof like saying the Nazis were influenced by Darwin, Lamarck, and Hegel. (No, I am not suggesting Goldberg/Hannity/Coulter are comparable to these people.)

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  18:13:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

What's the point of that? However dumb their rants are, this is obviously just taking shots at those people for no (relevant) reason. Sortof like saying the Nazis were influenced by Darwin, Lamarck, and Hegel. (No, I am not suggesting Goldberg/Hannity/Coulter are comparable to these people.)
The whole point is, Goldberg, Hannity and Coulter are not comparable to Darwin, Lamarck or Hegel, because the modern group really are reactionary cheerleaders who are saying many things (racism, nationalism, red-baiting) that give heart to our Nazis. The old-timers, as you point out, didn't.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  20:38:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When did Goldberg, Hannity, and Coulter suggest this guy go kill people? Reactionary they may be, but I have never seen any indication they would support the actions of this guy.

The way in which I think they are analogous of those legitimate scientists and philosophers is that they are being blamed for something someone else did which was really not in line with even their craziest rhetoric (I am not so familiar with Goldberg, just the other two). I agree Hannity is a moron, and maybe somewhat racist, but I fail to see an indication he or Coulter would knowingly support killing law-abiding citizens.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  22:59:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When did Goldberg, Hannity, and Coulter suggest this guy go kill people? Reactionary they may be, but I have never seen any indication they would support the actions of this guy.
I don't say they are legally culpable, only morally so for the constant raging hatred they spew. They provide a large part of the hate-and-fear-filled atmosphere in which American Nazis and the Klan thrive.

Nor do I think they should be silenced, except by either their own choice, or through changes in the marketplace of ideas that might make them completely valueless to the media.

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  05:30:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Wasn't Rachel Ray raked over the coals a few months ago for wearing a scarf which non-thinking twits thought was too close to the one worn by Yassir Araftat?

I would say that Bachmann's jacket looks a lot closer. Time to get the pitchforks out folks, march on her house and ... whassat? Oh, she's a good ol' Reeepublican. Move along, nothing to see here...

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  02:25:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moral blame is still blame. How are they morally responsible for other people who do things that are not really implied by their commentary? "Constant raging hatred," really? That's over-dramatic. My only point is that taking random shots at pundits and politicians for irrelevant reasons is pointless.

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  14:10:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

...but I fail to see an indication he or Coulter would knowingly support killing law-abiding citizens.
Less than three years ago, Ann Coulter quite publicly affirmed that she thought that John Murtha should be murdered.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  01:19:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

...but I fail to see an indication he or Coulter would knowingly support killing law-abiding citizens.
Less than three years ago, Ann Coulter quite publicly affirmed that she thought that John Murtha should be murdered.

I hate you for making me read a transcript of Hannity and Colmes, but:

COLMES: -- to defining John Murtha, which as some people -- most people may know is assassinating somebody in your unit. Are you suggesting that John Murtha exists for the purpose of being assassinated?
COULTER: OK. You're always asking me if I really mean something.
COLMES: Yeah.
COULTER: I want to ask you -- I just want to turn the tables this one time.
COLMES: Be my guest.
COULTER: Do you really think I am calling for the assassination of a congressman?
COLMES: No, I don't think a sane person would do that. Well, let me -- let me rephrase that.
COULTER: So, why do you get on your high horse and read -- read these --

She laughs and says "Do you really think I am calling for the assassination of a congressman?" This implies it is ridiculous to assert that she meant it.

Do I really need to go look up every instance of someone writing they want Bush to be assassinated? I do not imagine most of them actually mean that.

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  01:41:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

COLMES: -- to defining John Murtha, which as some people -- most people may know is assassinating somebody in your unit. Are you suggesting that John Murtha exists for the purpose of being assassinated?
COULTER: Do you really think I am calling for the assassination of a congressman?
COLMES: No, I don't think a sane person would do that. Well, let me -- let me rephrase that.

She laughs and says "Do you really think I am calling for the assassination of a congressman?" This implies it is ridiculous to assert that she meant it.

Do I really need to go look up every instance of someone writing they want Bush to be assassinated? I do not imagine most of them actually mean that.
It's my reading from the above that Coulter is indeed coming as close to advocating assassination as she thinks she can get away with, while maintaining a tattered shred of deniability. That seems to be a tactic of most of the GOP Noise machine "pundits."

I'm reminded of Henry II of England's reported "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?" That "question" was interpreted as a command, and resulted in the assassination of Thomas Becket by knights in Henry's employ.

Coulter, if anything, is even more direct. She calls for murder, then (only when directly confronted) laughs it off -- while significantly never actually denying she meant it.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/11/2009 01:43:36
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  02:44:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

It's my reading from the above that Coulter is indeed coming as close to advocating assassination as she thinks she can get away with, while maintaining a tattered shred of deniability. That seems to be a tactic of most of the GOP Noise machine "pundits."

I'm reminded of Henry II of England's reported "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?" That "question" was interpreted as a command, and resulted in the assassination of Thomas Becket by knights in Henry's employ.

Coulter, if anything, is even more direct. She calls for murder, then (only when directly confronted) laughs it off -- while significantly never actually denying she meant it.

what these chancre scabs are doing is appealing to that portion of their loyal audiences which has even less cognitive ability than the rest. Then, when one of these dingbats goes berserk, they have their dubious denyability to fall back on while being delighted at the same time. I consider them as culpable as the loony-toon wielding the AK.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  08:52:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The right and especially Fox news and fellows like Lue Dobbs are now in the business of both making up conspiracy theories, but also organizing with the tea bagging thing as but one example. Lacking White House talking points, the have clearly become desperate and dangerous.

From Media Matters.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

River Otter
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  08:56:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send River Otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmm....Dave's link seems to show this support quite clearly.

She laughs and says "Do you really think I am calling for the assassination of a congressman?"
This implies it is ridiculous to assert that she meant it.

I don't think it is at all, ridiculous.

Rosen June 20th
And then John Murtha, and you said "the reason soldiers invented fragging."
After looking up what fragging is, seems to me, she thinks Murtha a reasonable target.

What -- what's been your reaction to the criticism that you've taken for the Murtha comment?

COULTER: I wasn't aware I'd taken criticism, but I'm glad some of my best lines are getting out.

Best lines?

ROSEN: You don't have any reservations about that line?

COULTER: No.

She has reservations talking about it.

ROSEN: All right, but you're not -- you're not suggesting that anybody should off John Murtha?

COULTER: It is what it is.

...and she fails to tell us what it is. I blame this on Rosen who failed to ask the question, "What does that mean?".

June 21st Hannity & Colmes

Dodge #1 No explanation for one of her "best" quotes. I will say however, I don't like how Colmes worded that question.

Well yes Ann. If not that, then what was the meaning of that statement? Hmmm....?

COLMES: Well, then why would you say something like that?
This question was dodged by Coulter another three times.

COLMES: Not indignantly. I just want to know. How do you explain that?

COULTER: But -- and I've never retracted it, and I've never explained it. So, why do you think it's going to work this time?

COLMES: John Murtha exists for the purpose of being fragged. That's why he's on the planet. That is your statement.

COULTER: That isn't what I said. Why do you always change what I said from what I said?
I do agree that Colmes is twisting it around a bit. But she refuses to explain what she meant, then whines about the interpretation of it. Geez. Coulter really is in lala land.

COULTER: Murtha accused our soldiers of murder in cold blood.
Ahh...at last, there it is. So that's it? That's why?

COULTER: Weeks before Godless came out. So he must have been anticipating it. By the way, if he did get fragged, he'd finally deserve one of those Purple Hearts.
Damn Ann, from the frying pan right into the fire.

From reading Dave's link, I have come to the conclusion that Ann Coulter is spewing hate speech and is condoning murder. After all, she did say that Murth is the reason soldiers invented fragging, and she refuses to give us a reasonable explanation for this statement, after many opportunities to do so.

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know. -Cicero

Brother, You say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agree, as you can all read the book. -Sagoyewatha,(Red Jacket) - Chief and great orator of the six nations.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  09:33:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If Coulter knows anything, she knows public perception. She knew plenty of people would think she was serious, and she knew that many would not be watching H&C (and even that many of those who did would still take her seriously). She knew her audience just fine, and in that way she "knowingly support[ed] killing law-abiding citizens."
Actually, I'd be quite interested to hear of any high-profile liberal pundit advocating for the murder of Bush, even in jest. It'd be a good sign that whoever did it should be marginalized as a dangerous nutjob. Which is the point, isn't it?

So please, have at! I must confess to a blistering ignorance of liberal windbags other than, say, Colmes, Olberman and Maddow (and only them slightly). They don't seem to make the news for saying stupid stuff as often as the arch-conservative sort.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  13:21:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were saying the names of random people and she was giving 1 liners as she thought of them, the others were like Joe Wilson "the world's most intensely private exhibitionist," Alec Baldwin "our main source of so-called greenhouse gases," John Murtha "the reason soldiers invented fragging." Looks like she was (trying to) make jokes. Her whole gimmick is making quips and being unapologetic for them.

Let's see:

1) The "Kill Bush" game

2) Death of a President

3) A quote from The Guardian:

"On November 2, the entire civilised world will be praying, praying Bush loses. And Sod's law dictates he'll probably win, thereby disproving the existence of God once and for all. The world will endure four more years of idiocy, arrogance and unwarranted bloodshed, with no benevolent deity to watch over and save us. John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr. - where are you now that we need you?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brooker#Screen_Burn

4) Governor of Kentucky, Steve Bashear:

"I can think of only one Republican who can be a problem-solver," Beshear told the crowd. "And that would be Vice President (Dick) Cheney, if he will just take George on a hunting trip."

http://hoosieraccess.com/blog/2008/05/12/ky-gov-cheney-should-take-bush-hunting/

5) Randi Rhodes from Air America

Comparing Bush and his family to the Corleones of "Godfather" fame, Air America host Randi Rhodes reportedly unleashed this zinger during her Monday night broadcast: "Like Fredo, somebody ought to take him out fishing and phuw. " Rhodes then imitated the sound of a gunshot.

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/5/12/153908.shtml

6) Zack de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine

"They [Bush administration] should be shot as any war criminal should be."

http://www.theamericanmind.com/2007/05/01/rage-against-the-machine-singer-wants-bushies-shot/ (it's a conservative link, but I don't think anyone would really doubt people from RAtM saying that)

These are actual pundits/officials or relatively large-scale media, it would be far too easy to find every nut who has suggested or joked about killing Bush.

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.08 seconds.