Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  02:56:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Sorta of a silly question... But how long do snake live in general? I never considered the question myself...

I guess it can be very long, considering sea turtles... I am not sure how variable it is, though...
I've heard of some captive snakes living for some 30 years or so, but in the wild, not so long. I don't know what the longevity record might be, if there is such.

Incidentally, judging from the jaw impressions of the above iguana bite, the animal wasn't all that large; maybe 3.5 feet including tail. Giant green Igs are neat until they get to just about that size, when the hormones kick in. Then they go all but bi-polar, especially males.

This handsome fellow in his breeding colors is probably close to 6' long. [/hijack]

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  04:33:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't known that iguanas could be so grouchy and feisty. That was one nasty wound. Looked like a dog bite to my layman's eye.

BTW, the coloration on the iguana I have in "The Supper" is fake. If it resembles any real iguana's color, that's a chance coincidence. It appeared rather colorless, so I jazzed it up.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  06:33:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I hadn't known that iguanas could be so grouchy and feisty. That was one nasty wound. Looked like a dog bite to my layman's eye.

BTW, the coloration on the iguana I have in "The Supper" is fake. If it resembles any real iguana's color, that's a chance coincidence. It appeared rather colorless, so I jazzed it up.

It's close enough for a female or older juvenile. the male pictured above is horney -- he too is more greenish when not trying to get laid.

These animals have small but very sharp and serrated teeth. While they are vegetarian, they have strong jaws and can rip through flesh like bandsaw.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  21:39:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats for spoofing the world, Mooner!

Google Images is displaying your "The Supper" in the number-one slot on a search for "The Last Supper."

In the last week, this thread has been viewed over 7,851 times.

Edited to say, "whoops!" Google Images is actually displaying the original, which you also posted on page 1. Well, that's even more of a spoof, because people are going to see your version first, when they come here.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  21:42:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Congrats for spoofing the world, Mooner!

Google Images is displaying your "The Supper" in the number-one slot on a search for "The Last Supper."

In the last week, it's been hit over 7,851 times.
Har-har-har! That's gotta be a personal landmark!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/25/2009 21:49:36
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  21:45:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check my edit.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  21:51:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Check my edit.
All the better. I was afraid Leonardo wasn't getting proper credit. And anyhow, we parodists are essentially parasites. At our best.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  21:59:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I was wondering where all that traffic for "The Supper" was coming from.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  03:45:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Well done, 'mooner! I wonder how many are using it for a desktop background -- besides me, that is...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  07:32:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Excellent! Well done, 'mooner! I wonder how many are using it for a desktop background -- besides me, that is...

Thanks, Fil!

Now me, my desktop might be considered by lesser minds to be a bit, well, egocentric. It's my own picture, except with Arnold Schwarzenegger's body. And Stephen Hawking's head.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/26/2009 07:33:47
Go to Top of Page

Crispian

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  07:32:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Crispian's Homepage Send Crispian a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just had the great idea of photoshoping the faces of my favourite skeptics onto Da Vinci's last supper, so I did a google image search to find a nice version of the last supper as a starting point. I clicked on a good candidate and bugger me someone had already done it. A fine job too, so I had to think up something else for my next blog post and came up with my Skeptic Tarot cards instead.

http://crispian-jago.blogspot.com/2009/05/skeptics-tarot-cards.html

Crispian
http://crispian-jago.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  11:06:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Crispian

I just had the great idea of photoshoping the faces of my favourite skeptics onto Da Vinci's last supper, so I did a google image search to find a nice version of the last supper as a starting point. I clicked on a good candidate and bugger me someone had already done it. A fine job too, so I had to think up something else for my next blog post and came up with my Skeptic Tarot cards instead.

http://crispian-jago.blogspot.com/2009/05/skeptics-tarot-cards.html

Welcome to SFN, Crispian! Thank you for the kind words.

What you've described is the kind of thing that's happened to me, too. One time I was going to do a parody image and story, but in researching it, I not only found that The Onion had already done it and done it better than I could, but I also realized I'd seen their version before. That was an eye-opener about confusing memory with an original idea.

Hey, why not Photoshop the heads of famous woo-woos into The Last supper?

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2009 :  21:54:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on over 100,000 views Half. I suppose now any contest for the "most viewed thread" here will be worthless.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/30/2009 21:55:00
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2009 :  22:49:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Congrats on over 100,000 views Half. I suppose now any contest for the "most viewed thread" here will be worthless.
This thread (started by Mooner, but not a Moonscape piece) has 189,410 views to date. And this thread has 141,081 views as of this writing. A check of the whole database says that "The Supper" is number three (4th place is "Hell, your final destination?" with less than 50,000 views).

"The Supper" wins "most views per day," without a doubt. Unfortunately, the top three most-viewed threads all got that way due to Google Image Search screw-ups.

The next-most-popular Moonscape News thread is "PZ's Playhouse," in 29th place with 7,239 views.

(By the way, our most-viewed article, "Fundamentalists Hate Noah's Ark," has 153,540 views so far, and not because of Google problems.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2009 :  06:27:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Thanks, Ricky.

Incredible. I've repeatedly but accidentally reaped the benefit from Google's peculiarities. Even when and if my posts arguably were good, it was accidental factors that got the huge hits. Now I need to learn how to do that purposely.

In stark contrast, Filthy's Noah's Ark article won its views honestly, simply by being some great writing.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.