Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  13:15:47  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link

"The physicist Stephen Hawking has been hospitalized, a serious business for a 67 year old man with ALS. We should all hope for the best, but don't pray — we shall trust in modern medicine and science, and the stamina of a man who has demonstrated remarkable persistence in the face of daunting health problems." ~~ PZ Myers

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  14:11:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Link

"The physicist Stephen Hawking has been hospitalized, a serious business for a 67 year old man with ALS. We should all hope for the best, but don't pray — we shall trust in modern medicine and science, and the stamina of a man who has demonstrated remarkable persistence in the face of daunting health problems." ~~ PZ Myers

Yeah. Saw it. Bummer.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  15:28:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not good news. I hope Stephen recovers and is able to continue his work of adding daily to humanity's understanding of the blazing glories in the darkness around us.

For someone who, on a good day, can barely hold up his own head, Hawking has a lot of scientists standing on his shoulders. What an incredible life, so far!

Bonne chance Stephen!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  04:26:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good deal! Hawkings expected to make a full recovery.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  05:55:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Super!

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  06:31:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Randy

Good deal, full recovery? Don't you mean it looks like Hawking might get a few more years to sit in his wheelchair and slobber on himself? And then he will die.

All the hope in the world for the best and faith in modern medicine might get him a few more years of sitting in his chair at best, but he will die, and then the judgment.

Dear God I pray that even in his midnight hour that you might remove the blinders from Mr. Hawkings eyes that he might know your love and grace before his journey into eternity begins. It is in Jesus name that I ask things Father God, Amen.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Edited by - Bill scott on 04/21/2009 06:33:31
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  06:39:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

Don't you mean it looks like Hawking might get a few more years to sit in his wheelchair and slobber on himself? And then he will die.

Where he slobbers is immaterial. The fact that he's done something with his life, rather than waste it on imaginary beings is what's important. The best most of us can do is slobber on ourselves and do very little for the rest of the world.

All the hope in the world for the best and faith in modern medicine might get him a few more years of sitting in his chair at best, but he will die, and then the judgment.

Dear God I pray that even in his midnight hour that you might remove the blinders from Mr. Hawkings eyes that he might know your love and grace before his journey into eternity begins. It is in Jesus name that I ask things Father God, Amen.

St. Matthew, Chapter 6, Verses 5-6:

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are; for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men ... But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/21/2009 06:47:38
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:12:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Good deal, full recovery? Don't you mean it looks like Hawking might get a few more years to sit in his wheelchair and slobber on himself? And then he will die.

Even from you, Bill, I did not expect such scumbaggery. Stephen Hawkins has been leading a fine life for many years, despite his handicaps. In particular, he's been contributing to the advancement of humanity and human knowledge, to a degree that neither you nor I can hope to match.

Shame on you, Bill for gleefully celebrating the medical problems of a better man than yourself. As for your even more gleeful hope of Hawking going to Hell, that simply makes me laugh at you.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/21/2009 07:18:27
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:14:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Where he slobbers is immaterial.

Speak for yourself.

The fact that he's done something with his life,

Everybody has done something with their life.

rather than waste it on imaginary beings is what's important.

How do you know this?

The best most of us can do is slobber on ourselves and do very little for the rest of the world.

A pitiful existence indeed.

St. Matthew, Chapter 6, Verses 5-6:

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are; for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men ... But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus warned against hypocrisy in prayer:

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full."

Actually I think in context Jesus was concerned about one's motive when praying. At the time the religious authorities believed it was necessary to pray at specific times of the day, and would often make sure they were in large crowds of people when those times arose so that they could be seen and heard by all. Jesus did not approve of this.
Jesus also gave instructions on how not to pray:

"And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

Religious Authorities at the time believed that there was power in words and continous repetition and if you said a word often enough, then you could eventually own that object or claim that power for yourself. Jesus condemned this.

So as you can see I was not praying at a specific time, nor was I babbling on and on, nor was in a large crowd of people and I certainly wasn't trying to impress any man on this forum with my prayer. In fact throughout his life Jesus prayed in public and in private. I interrupt Jesus to be warning the apostles about hypocrisy in prayer rather then to ban any public prayer.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Edited by - Bill scott on 04/21/2009 08:13:08
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:37:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Even from you, Bill, I did not expect such scumbaggery. Stephen Hawkins has been leading a fine life for many years, despite his handicaps. In particular, he's been contributing to the advancement of humanity and human knowledge, to a degree that neither you no I can hope to match.

The dude said he is going to completely recover and that this was great. I simply had to bring him back into reality. I have seen this forum trash many of people on their deathbed who's work for humanity far out reaches yours, mine or Hawkings, so your compliant has fallen on deaf ears.

Shame on you, Bill for gleefully celebrating the medical problems of a better man than yourself. As for your even more gleeful hope of Hawking going to Hell, that simply makes me laugh at you.

Actually it would be my gleeful hope that Hawking would escape hell. I am not even going to waste my time to try and untangle your silly conclusion that I wish hell upon anyone. It's an unfounded and silly statement by you that makes me laugh.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:41:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have seen this forum trash many of people on their deathbed who's work for humanity far out reaches yours, mine or Hawkings...
Name one.
...so your compliant has fallen on deaf ears.
Like most of everything else said here. No one is deafer than he who will not listen, Bill.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:47:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Bill I have trouble rooting for those "who work for humanity" by saying that I am going to rot for eternity in hellfire and who advocate violence against those who don't believe what they do.

I can't recall any SH quotes implying or hoping for you to suffer for all eternity or to wipe out the believers. Now if a scientist does those things let us know and we will spit on his grave on your behalf.

We are not gleeful at every deathbed for believers, just the really big scumbags.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

He will still have severe limitations (physically, if not mentally). Although I wouldn't put it so crudely, this much is true, and is neither a negative nor a positive statement. If this nonsense about Jehovah, the tribal war god, were true, then yes, he created us to live imperfect lives, slobber on ourselves, and he created some of us to be so blind as to reject him so that we can go to Hell so that believers who have the magic key to get in the special club have someone to look down on.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/21/2009 08:09:40
Go to Top of Page

River Otter
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:26:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send River Otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Bill Scott! What a repulsive display of disrespect! I can't believe what I just read, was written by a so-called Christian! You should be ashamed of yourself! You just made you and your religion look really bad.

I have seen this forum trash many of people on their deathbed who's work for humanity far out reaches yours, mine or Hawkings, so your compliant has fallen on deaf ears.

Oh! Right! I'm sure this forum didn't trash the person for their disability like you just did. You didn't even make a good point. You only made yourself look like an ignorant, petty, bigoted, inconciderate, disrespectful, jackass. Try practicing what you PREACH!

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know. -Cicero

Brother, You say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agree, as you can all read the book. -Sagoyewatha,(Red Jacket) - Chief and great orator of the six nations.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:50:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

He will still have severe limitations (physically, if not mentally). Although I wouldn't put it so crudely, this much is true, and is neither a negative nor a positive statement.

We agree. All though I would say that "crudely" is in the eye of the beholder.

If this nonsense about Jehovah, the tribal war god, were true, then yes, he created us to live imperfect lives, slobber on ourselves, and he created some of us to be so blind as to reject him so that we can go to Hell so that believers who have the magic key to get in the special club have someone to look down on.

Something like that.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:52:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Sorry Bill I have trouble rooting for those "who work for humanity" by saying that I am going to rot for eternity in hellfire and who advocate violence against those who don't believe what they do.

But you would blame those "who work for humanity" if you did reach hell at your end and no one had warned you of the coming danger ahead of time. It is not the fault of the one who has knowledge of the coming danger and gives you the warning if you choose to ignore it. But if they had the knowledge and just refused to warn you then you might have a beef. At that point, "Why didn't you warn me?" becomes a valid question.

I can't recall any SH quotes implying or hoping for you to suffer for all eternity or to wipe out the believers.

And I can't recall hoping this myself. Nor was it my quotes that implied anything about what we can expect after death.

We are not gleeful at every deathbed for believers, just the really big scumbags.

And I would assume in your world that it is you who gets to decide who is a scumbag and who ain't. That eye of the beholder thing.

Edited by - Bill scott on 04/21/2009 09:55:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.